• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (2 Viewers)

8958 still free - was for Short-legged Ground-Roller from Madagascar, a very special bird!
Sorry, was mentioned before, see next posts

Last edited:
I wouldn't delete it, we'll just remember to leave #8958 open for the next entry. I wasn't even aware this list existed when that bird was originally listed so it was great to look it up just now.

I do search the spreadsheet first, just to take advantage of the previous hard work invested in this endeavor. Then I use the Birdforum search system:

First click on the search button in the upper right-hand corner.

That opens a small window. Then click “advanced search” in that small window.

That will open a whole new search screen. There is a blue bar that runs across this page with several options. Click “search threads.”. It’s the second option from the left on the blue bar.

Then scroll down to the “search in forums” window/field. In this window, scroll down and click “birds and birding,” it’s about 17 categories down. It’s in this category the "Name a Bird You've Seen 2" list is located.

Then go up to the top of the search page and type your bird name in the “keywords” window/field. This will give you the fewest number of false hits.

Finally read through the results in hopes your bird is not mentioned in this forum thread.

It doesn’t work in cases where there are common names that are quite different (like my Melodious Laughingthrush being already listed under the name Chinese Hwamei). But it’s the best I can do until I get more familiar with the search options here.

Great bird! I think we could safely use the "limited range species" category for whatever might still be out there.

I have four left that I'm pretty sure are yet to be listed. I still have to search through my life list (luckily it's small) to see if I have any oddities that might be worth searching for.

I'll move us one tick closer to 9000 with Ultramarine Kingfisher, again from Guadalcanal. We're now at # 8959!

Attachments

• DSCF9804.JPG
    DSCF9804.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 3
I do search the spreadsheet first, just to take advantage of the previous hard work invested in this endeavor. Then I use the Birdforum search system:

First click on the search button in the upper right-hand corner.

That opens a small window. Then click “advanced search” in that small window.

That will open a whole new search screen. There is a blue bar that runs across this page with several options. Click “search threads.”. It’s the second option from the left on the blue bar.

Then scroll down to the “search in forums” window/field. In this window, scroll down and click “birds and birding,” it’s about 17 categories down. It’s in this category the "Name a Bird You've Seen 2" list is located.

Then go up to the top of the search page and type your bird name in the “keywords” window/field. This will give you the fewest number of false hits.

Finally read through the results in hopes your bird is not mentioned in this forum thread.

It doesn’t work in cases where there are common names that are quite different (like my Melodious Laughingthrush being already listed under the name Chinese Hwamei). But it’s the best I can do until I get more familiar with the search options here.
Generally, though, this is the one that I do. Which can restrict it to just the thread you're in.BF Search.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder, is there a way to search the bird gallery for birds with only one picture? They are bound to be rare birds, and if the bird is not already on this list, the Birdforum member could be invited to list the bird here. I’m just trying to think of ways to get to that magic 9000. By the way, I just found two PNG flycatchers on my life list not yet listed here, so I have five entries yet to go (unless I find something else).

Last edited:
I wonder, is there a way to search the bird gallery for birds with only one picture? They are bound to be rare birds, and if the bird is not already on this list, the Birdforum member could be invited to list the bird here. I’m just trying to think of ways to get to that magic 9000. By the way, I just found two PNG flycatchers on my life list not yet listed here, so I have five entries yet to go (unless I find something else).
No, I don't thing that is possible Joe. The pictures aren't really stored in a way that would make it possible.

We can search the Opus for Missing Images, but once a picture is added to an article that category is deleted.

Some members hardly put any information on the pictures when uploading, and we don't insist that they do, as we don't want to discourage anyone from posting. So we can't really formulate any easy search.... some are in their native language (although everything should be in English LOL), some are just incorrectly spelt, then you have alternative names, then you get splits and lumps (though we do try and re-name these)!!!!

I suppose you could look for what is still missing, then go to the Opus article (there may be a picture there, but the member may not still be with us) scroll down and search for the species via the Search bar. If you try that, and don't get any result, let an Opus Editor know and we'll check the search terms (we're still trying to check through all 10k+ species articles since the migration to this new platform and adding new improved search parameters).

This is the current list of Missing Images: Category:Missing Images - BirdForum Opus
Anyone got any of these LOL

''''' and even Mods can get it wrong sometimes... I forgot to add the picture to my previous post - done it now LOL

Thank you for including the screen capture, Delia – that search process is so much more efficient than my work-around. And it resulted in me finding a few more birds on my life list that are not yet included here.

No probs... you do sometimes need to use the Advanced one but mostly I find the simple one works.

Regarding linkage, I think any bird that gets added from now on belongs to the most exclusive group of all: “The Final Forty.” With almost 9000 species listed, is it possible my next entry hasn’t already been listed under another common name? Back at #6948 was a White-browed Wagtail (Motacilla maderaspatensis), but unless I did the search wrong, I’m pretty sure this widely distributed bird is legit for #8962: White Wagtail (Motacilla alba).

Yikes! I see the Pied Wagtail made appearances at numbers 186, 189, 453 and 5831. Sorry - I'm just not up on all of the common names. Please allow me to replace #8962 with Cardinal Lory (Pseudeos cardinalis), from the Solomon Islands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back