• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name a Bird You've Seen 2 (3 Viewers)

# 9016 Moluccan Fruit Dove (ptinopus prassinorrhous) - split from white bibbed. Seen from small island near Waigeo
Hi again David!

I wonder if you could upload this one to the Gallery as we've not got any images there, though we do have one in the Opus article, which had been uploaded to a thread.

I will, though add this one to the White-bibbed article as a subspecies, when I've worked out which one it is (hopefully not the same as Rob's, which I also need to work out LOL)

# 9016 Moluccan Fruit Dove (ptinopus prassinorrhous) - split from white bibbed. Seen from small island near Waigeo
My taxonomy skills are close to non-existent so I may be missing something, but I think this is just a subspecies? Not that it matters, as White-bibbed Fruit Dove was still available, but it may help the next person if they're looking for something white rather than something Moluccan.

(For clarity, I'm vaguely up to speed on recent IOC changes but wouldn't have a clue about recent changes in other taxonomies until they're well-enough established to show up on the IOc's 6-monthly spreadsheet of comparisons with other lists.)

My taxonomy skills are close to non-existent so I may be missing something, but I think this is just a subspecies? Not that it matters, as White-bibbed Fruit Dove was still available, but it may help the next person if they're looking for something white rather than something Moluccan.

(For clarity, I'm vaguely up to speed on recent IOC changes but wouldn't have a clue about recent changes in other taxonomies until they're well-enough established to show up on the IOc's 6-monthly spreadsheet of comparisons with other lists.)
Yes saw White-bibbed was still available - Moluccan is split in latest edition of Pratt and Beehler guide but having now checked "all the birds of the world" which shows 4 widely used checklists it isn't in IOC, H&M, Clements or HBW so #9016 is White Bibbed Fruit Dove.

I've now added it to the gallery as that.

Yes saw White-bibbed was still available - Moluccan is split in latest edition of Pratt and Beehler guide but having now checked "all the birds of the world" which shows 4 widely used checklists it isn't in IOC, H&M, Clements or HBW so #9016 is White Bibbed Fruit Dove.

I've now added it to the gallery as that.
Thanks very much for that David. At least there's now a picture resulting from the picture search LOL.

I've been having a go at updating the spreadsheet. It's not ready to post yet (I seriously underestimated the time needed to convert between different names used in different taxonomies to work out which species should be crossed off the reverse list!) but here's a game for people to play while we wait for someone to happen along with a new species:

Among the several duplicates that have been posted this year, we seem to have managed to have a single species occupying two adjacent numbers in the list. Literally successive posts, using different names for the same bird. And, possibly to the shame of the forum, no-one among us spotted this. (Before you think I'm showing off, I didn't notice either, until I'd found both names on different taxonomic lists). So, just for fun and with the hint that this happened in 2023, can anyone find the offending bird?

Re. 8969/8970, ah, I see. Good catch.

Re. 9002/9003, Ebird has the two Chaffinches as subs of the same species (Fringilla coelebs), unless it’s been split?

Re. 8969/8970, ah, I see. Good catch.

Re. 9002/9003, Ebird has the two Chaffinches as subs of the same species (Fringilla coelebs), unless it’s been split?
The rules for this game are a little vague, but we seem to have evolved a consensus that we can have both species if either ebird or IOC split them, rather than insisting that the two agree, but we can't claim a split species if someone's written a paper identifying that it should be split but none of the main authorities have actually done so. Hence why there was a flurry of chaffinches being named in the few days after IOC accepted that split.

Right. I've got a version of the spreadsheet updated and I think overall we're down 8 species from the total, so we're on 9008. That's based on:
  • allowing species that are only split in Clements/ebird, even though we're using IOC
  • not allowing a species that's been proposed as a split but not accepted yet (just 1 of these)
  • removing 8 duplicates
  • adding in 1 species because 2 different birds were given number 8822.

The duplicates are: 8887 (8826), 8942 (4242), 8945 (8938), 8970 (8969), 8972 (8717), 8974 (5670), 8976 (5689), 8987 (8823).
The one that, as far as I can see, hasn't been split by IOC or Clements yet is 8997 (Ventriloquial Oriole).

I've updated the reverse list by removing species which have been played since the previous update, but I've made no effort to add in any species split by IOC since the spreadsheet was produced. If I've set the spreadsheet up right, it should be editable by anyone, but don't feel you have to update the spreadsheet if you aren't confident doing that; the last thing I want to do is put anyone off joining in as we climb towards our next milestone.

So, subject to someone spotting an error in my version of the spreadsheet (not exactly unlikely), our current state of play is:

9008: White-bibbed Fruit Dove (dandsblair)

Right. I've got a version of the spreadsheet updated and I think overall we're down 8 species from the total, so we're on 9008. That's based on:
  • allowing species that are only split in Clements/ebird, even though we're using IOC
  • not allowing a species that's been proposed as a split but not accepted yet (just 1 of these)
  • removing 8 duplicates

The duplicates are: 8887 (8826), 8942 (4242), 8945 (8938), 8970 (8969), 8972 (8717), 8974 (5670), 8976 (5689), 8987 (8823).
The one that, as far as I can see, hasn't been split by IOC or Clements yet is 8997 (Ventriloquial Oriole).

I've updated the reverse list by removing species which have been played since the previous update, but I've made no effort to add in any species split by IOC since the spreadsheet was produced. If I've set the spreadsheet up right, it should be editable by anyone, but don't feel you have to update the spreadsheet if you aren't confident doing that; the last thing I want to do is put anyone off joining in as we climb towards our next milestone.

So, subject to someone spotting an error in my version of the spreadsheet (not exactly unlikely), our current state of play is:

Ventriloquial Oriole has been split by IOC. It was accepted on Feb 5th. The chaffinches and sand plover splits were accepted after this.

Last edited:
  • removing 8 duplicates

According to the updated document, my next contribution is not white-bibbed, but headed
#9009: White-headed petrel (seen a few times in the SO)

Spectacled Prickletail is a very rufescent mainland Neotropical bird, as is:-

9012 Rufescent Flycatcher

(Hoping no-one's jumped on that one yet 😁)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back