• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need help identifying new bird in Mass ! (1 Viewer)

massbirder33

I'm stumped. I live in Massachusetts and have seen a new bird, actually 2 of them, and I can't for the life of me figure out who they are. I've looked in many bird books but cannot come across it.

I'll try to describe it:
Length: It is roughly about the length of a mockingbird.
Body: Similar to a Mockingbird. Stands upright on the ground like a Robin but is more slender than a Robin.
Color: Primarily 2 toned - White underparts/belly and the rest is a light orangy brown. No black , dark brown, or gray at all.
Streaks: No streaks or spots that I can see. Smooth colors.
Behavior: walks quickly on the ground, like a robin but faster
*Song: unbelievable song, more notes than i can keep track of and it goes on for up to a minute. Almost sounds like R2D2 from Star Wars. It sounds like the bird is talking because it is short notes but many, many different and varied notes. I can easily tell the bird is in the area by the song this unique song.
Tail: Long tail, similar to a Mockinbird.
Eating: Defnitely likes the suet feeder, also pecks into the ground sometimes. May eat seeds (not sure on that one yet).

I hope I have provided enough detail. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it if you could send along any guesses, links to photos, or any info that might point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!

B :)

I was going to say an Eastern Towhee, but maybe not. Here is a picture of one.

Attachments

• PB111196EasternTowhee.jpg
    PB111196EasternTowhee.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 102
fbeeldens said:
No spots or streaks.

Veery?

THe only bird brown on top white underneath with no spots or streaks are (I think) Cuckoos.

Thrashers have prominent stripes and thrushes have prominent spots. I am guessing the spots or streaks were just not visible. Re-reading the post I think Brown Thrasher based on the vocalizations.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back