• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help to choose right 10x32 (Nikon HG, Hawke Frontier ED X, Kowa BDll). (2 Viewers)

Andy Gan

Lithuania
Hello dear Mates.
I want to buy some bino in 10x32 (10x30) and choose between several options:
1. Nikon Monarch HG 10x30
2. Hawke Frontier ED X 10x32
3. Kowa BD2 10x32 XD
4. Celestron TrailSeeker ED 10x32
5. Carl Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32.

At first i wanted most Monarch HG, but i heard that it has some problems with glares and internal reflections (according to some comments in birbforum.net and to reviews in allbinos.com) + plus i had once Monarch 7 10x30 and it suffered from same problem. So im not sure about Nikon MHG. Maybe someone is familiar with MHG 10x30 and can tell how things are with glares in it and in comparison with other binoculars???

About Hawke ED X, Kowa BD2 xd and Celestron TS ED i dont really have much information about them except that they are good overall. Have Someone used them and can tell what their Pros/Cons in comparison to each other and to Nikon MHG???

Im also considering Carl Zeiss Conquest HD 10x32, but I'm not sure about its compactness - 132mm in length is a bit too much for “x32”. But i know that it better than others in optics, durability and built quality.

I will also be grateful if you tell me other high-quality options in “10x32”, which are no more than 120-130mm in length.

So what can you advise, Friends?

Hola Andy! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators (y)

I have moved your thread to the Binoculars section of Birdforum. Believe you will get your answers here.

Hi Andy,

first of all, a warm welcome to birdforum!

As for those 10x32 models, my most important advice would be to try one or more in person before you buy. Ideally together with roughly comparable 8x32 and 10x42 pairs.
10x32 has a quite small exit pupil (objective diameter divided by magnification) of 3.2 mm - comparable to an 8x25 pocket pair. This makes them not very bright in bad light and more importantly, finicky to get the eye position right. Also 10x can be difficult to hold steady enough for some people to really profit from the higher magnification and a small and light instrument does not help with that.
Those are the reasons why 10x32 is the least popular size of the "standard" sized bins (8/10x32 and 7/8/10x42).

Joachim, who once bought a nice Zeiss Conquest 10x25 for a good price, which has all of these flaws to an even higher degree and is thus rarely used - I wished I had known better back then.

Hi Andy and welcome to BirdForum. The depth of knowledge of some of our members is immense so hopefully you’ll get some good advice.

I’ve 10x32 Meopta Meostars. Great little bins but the eyecups won’t work for everyone.

Rich

Hi Andy,

first of all, a warm welcome to birdforum!

As for those 10x32 models, my most important advice would be to try one or more in person before you buy. Ideally together with roughly comparable 8x32 and 10x42 pairs.
10x32 has a quite small exit pupil (objective diameter divided by magnification) of 3.2 mm - comparable to an 8x25 pocket pair. This makes them not very bright in bad light and more importantly, finicky to get the eye position right. Also 10x can be difficult to hold steady enough for some people to really profit from the higher magnification and a small and light instrument does not help with that.
Those are the reasons why 10x32 is the least popular size of the "standard" sized bins (8/10x32 and 7/8/10x42).

Joachim, who once bought a nice Zeiss Conquest 10x25 for a good price, which has all of these flaws to an even higher degree and is thus rarely used - I wished I had known better back then.
Ok. Then 8x32 (8x30) - which one better choose of those i wrote?

I will also be grateful if you tell me other high-quality options in “10x32”, which are no more than 120-130mm in length.
I've only got one 10x32, but I bought it largely due to the compact size coupled with enjoyable optics. Leica Ultravid HD+.

Unless it's an exceptional dull day or into the evening I don't find 10x32's exit pupil an issue, but it's case of try and see yourself.

I use the Swarovski EL 10x32, but whilst I consider them a compact binocular they are 138mm long and might be beyond your budget looking at your list of possibles.

Ok. Then 8x32 (8x30) - which one better choose of those i wrote?

Andy,

I wouldn't give up on 10x30/32 until you have tried a good one and found it unsuitable for you. IME with a number of 10x32 it's best to go for the highest quality within your budget. If you shop around you might find for example a used Leica UV/HD/+ for @ $1000 to $1250. It's the most compact high end version available and an excellent bin in all respects.

Mike

Have anyone tried NIKON MONARCHs HGs 8-30 or 10-30???
Do they have Glares/Flares on Bright sun????
Cuz i have Monarch 7 10-30 and it has some problem with it

I personally find 10x shakes a lot more than 8x and has less DOF, but it does show more detail, so I wouldn't choose a 10x unless it is IS. I think of your choices, the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 would be the best choice. If you wanted to move up in quality and an almost alpha view, try the Meopta Meostar Plus 8x42.

Andy,

I wouldn't give up on 10x30/32 until you have tried a good one and found it unsuitable for you. IME with a number of 10x32 it's best to go for the highest quality within your budget. If you shop around you might find for example a used Leica UV/HD/+ for @ $1000 to $1250. It's the most compact high end version available and an excellent bin in all respects.

Mike
I agree and the OP wants ”other high-quality options in “10x32”, which are no more than 120-130mm in length” so the compact Leica would be indeed a good choice. I bought my 8x32 HD for 825 euro. But that was 2 years ago. Highly recommended: beautiful colors, sharp and no glare at all.

My partner chose a pair of Zeiss Terra 8x32 a few months ago.
I must say, they’re well made and sharp. Importantly (from her point of view) they were inexpensive (approximately £290) they were sold along with the neck strap supplied with the SF range and a hard case.
Worth looking through a pair to see whether they are comfortable in your hands and suitable for your eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back