• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledglings are nowhere to be found… (1 Viewer)

Kayc

United States
Keep hearing momma coo for them but I haven’t seen the two mourning dove fledglings anywhere. Where could they have gone? I barely see cats roam in this building, we’ve had some downpours which help keep any random cats away if anything. Luckily the bush in the garden seemed to have provided some shelter for the baby birds since being displaced from their nest by my bird hater neighbors BACKSTORY HERE. I also formed a little canopy for them amongst some palms on a tiny hill they seemed to like.

I took this pic from above about 6 days ago. Today would mark day 17 since becoming fledglings and about week 5 since nest was built. At some point I walked through the garden slowly to test the babies and the bigger fledgling managed to quickly fly on each banister of each floor, finally reaching the rooftop of the three story apartment building, while the little one scampered quickly into the bush. Bigger one then flew back down to the garden. I’m confident the bigger one could have just flown away but what about the little one?

Last I saw them was Sunday late afternoon and they both seemed pretty content in the garden next to each other. Yesterday Monday I didn’t check them all day, didn’t hear mom coo all that much, at least not as much as today. So did they just fly away? I feel so bad for momma. She’s been calling out for them all day long :( they’re pretty quick so I seriously doubt any cats got to them and like I said it’s been raining a lot every day off and on.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

The most likely answer is that they have flown away. It may be that the adult bird is not calling for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back