• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID help bird east coast of china (1 Viewer)

JennyMK

Hello all birders!

I hope someone can help me identify these two birds. The first is some kind of finch I think, and the other a thrush. But I have not been able to find which one…
I live on the east coast of China, between Shanghai and Beijing.
Thank you so much in advanced!!

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 113
  • unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 124
Hi Jenny,
#1 is Oriental Greenfinch (Carduelis sinica)
#2 is likely a Naumann´s Trush (Turdus naumanni), though your bird shows a stronger supercillium. But don´t worry, there´s sure somebody who will correct my ID´s if they are wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone for your speedy response, I'm truly thankful for your help!!

I haven't been able to find a good bird book about birds in asia,and it is sometimes very difficult to find the right bird species just by 'googling' it…

I have another one to show you, this one I think is a little grebe in its non breeding plumage. Am I right? There are 4-6 who live in a nearby lake in a park. They are tiny, could easily fit in a grown mans palm and so darn cute! I have been able to watch them quite a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 27
1 + 3 are adult Little Grebe, 2 is a juvenile ( stripey head ). "Birds of East Asia" by Mark Brazil, published by Christopher Helm, London is the best guide to the birds of eastern China ( although it covers eastern Russia, Japan, the Korea's and Taiwan as well ).

Thank you Chris! I looked up the book on amazon and found it! I feel stupid now that I haven't thought about looking there before… ;)

Thank you Chris! I looked up the book on amazon and found it! I feel stupid now that I haven't thought about looking there before… ;)

Jenny - you can also very easily find A Field Guide to the Birds of China (MacKinnon & Phillipps) on Taobao.com (use the Chinese version and not the English version setup to rip off non-residents) ;)

That and Brazil's are the main two books used here. The English version is ca. 250RMB but the Chinese version (same plates and English latin and Chinese names but without the English text) is around 60-65RMB if I remember correctly.

Then pop-over to the China forum, you'll find a lot of information there.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=544

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back