• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need tiny hard-shelled bug id (1 Viewer)

jeen1965

My aunt has been finding a few of these tiny-(much smaller than a ladybug) beetle shell type bug. This one might be a little bit crushed. Can you tell me what type of bug it is so we can see if it is a problem for her? thanksResizerImage774X589bug.jpg

I assume the location is Massachusetts? Hard to be sure from the photo, but likely a Dermestid beetle (family Dermistidae), possibly genus Anthrenus or Attagenus. These are referred to as "carpet beetles" and commonly found inside houses; they don't bite and feed on detritus. Not a bedbug if that's what you are worried about.

Yes, Massachusetts . I knew it wasn't a bedbug but just wanted to make sure it wasn't some other infestation problem. Now that we know how to deal with it. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Can you be clearer, these are being found indoors?

If outdoors, there are genus of Ladybirds which look similar to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back