• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest In Wreath on Front Door: Please help!! (1 Viewer)

kswitzer

Hi Everyone,

I live in Eastern Kansas, and we have a seen a bird close to our front door for a week or two now. We assumed she'd built a nest somewhere in the eaves/gutter of our covered porch, but had never seen where it was at.

Yesterday, I left through my front door, and as I was driving away, I saw her fly up to a wreath that I've got on my front door. When I got home, I checked the wreath, and sure enough, there was a nest with 4 eggs.

My plan was just to quit using the front door as much as possible (we've got a back door and a garage exit as well) for the next few weeks. But, we had really bad storms last night (there was a tornado on the ground about 20 miles away, and we had heavy rain/thunderstorms), so I checked on the nest just now.

One of the eggs is out of the nest! It is still in the branches of the wreath and is right next to the nest. It did not look damaged at all, but I did not want to get too close. It looks pretty precarious though (if someone slammed the door, I think it would fall from the wreath).

I'm assuming the best thing to do is just leave it alone, but wanted to check if there's anything I can or should do. Should I be leaving the porch light on so maybe there will be some extra warmth? We have a slight chance for more storms/wind tonight, but after that the 10-day forecast is beautiful weather (highs in the 70s-low 80s, and no more storms projected). I don't want to jeopardize the 3 eggs that are still in the nest, but other than not using this door at all (which we will do), is there anything that could help?

I'm sure these all sound like very dumb questions, and maybe it's because I'm 7 months pregnant myself, but I'm wanting to help this mama bird if there's anything at all I can do.

Please feel free to move this thread if there's a better place for it. Really appreciate any help!

I think it would be best to continue using a different door. Other than that, I would advise not do anything else, just continue observing (preferably from a distance: the fewer times you visit the nest, the better). No need to keep the porch light on.

Hope all goes well with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back