• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nevada and California 17th Aug to 5th Sept (2 Viewers)

1. Golden-mantled Squirrel
2. Not sure, probably Belding's Ground Squirrel
3. California Ground Squirrel
4. Golden-mantled Squirrel
5. Chipmunk - I'd take a wild stab in the dark at Lodgepole but you probably want local or experienced help.

John

John

Thanks - agree the first three but why isn't 5 a Least Chipmunk, looks much too bright on the side to be Lodgepole and was certainly the smallest chipmunk we saw.

On 4 - I see what you mean but this was about 2 or 3 inches smaller than other Golden Mantled Squirrels.

John

Thanks - agree the first three but why isn't 5 a Least Chipmunk, looks much too bright on the side to be Lodgepole and was certainly the smallest chipmunk we saw.

On 4 - I see what you mean but this was about 2 or 3 inches smaller than other Golden Mantled Squirrels.

Maybe the Golden-mantled is a young one, though the head is very bright and the juveniles we saw were quite dull: but nothing else in California fits the pattern of flank stripes and no head stripes. Golden-mantled Squirrel for sure.

The Chipmunk I can be slightly less certain about. I haven't seen Lodgepole. I am aware that Least Chipmunk is variable, though the latest edition Peterson (edited by Fiona Reid) states the bright ones are found in North-east USA. However, I have seen Least in California (at Mono Lake) and it was almost monochrome. We saw plenty in Wyoming and they were as per the pics below, so some orange on the flanks is within reason: but the dark stripes are black not brown.

I can't see anything that rules out Lodgepole on the animal in your photograph, which has subdued central pale stripes and brown dark ones.

Hope this helps. It would still be useful if a local would chip in.

Edit: Were you in range for Long-eared Chipmunk? Your pic shows long ears, to my eye, and the pattern also fits.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• 09_08_2014_Least_Chipmunk (800x533).jpg
    09_08_2014_Least_Chipmunk (800x533).jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2014_08_09 (3f)_Least_Chipmunk (800x533).jpg
    2014_08_09 (3f)_Least_Chipmunk (800x533).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thanks

Maybe the Golden-mantled is a young one, though the head is very bright and the juveniles we saw were quite dull: but nothing else in California fits the pattern of flank stripes and no head stripes. Golden-mantled Squirrel for sure.

The Chipmunk I can be slightly less certain about. I haven't seen Lodgepole. I am aware that Least Chipmunk is variable, though the latest edition Peterson (edited by Fiona Reid) states the bright ones are found in North-east USA. However, I have seen Least in California (at Mono Lake) and it was almost monochrome. We saw plenty in Wyoming and they were as per the pics below, so some orange on the flanks is within reason: but the dark stripes are black not brown.

I can't see anything that rules out Lodgepole on the animal in your photograph, which has subdued central pale stripes and brown dark ones.

Hope this helps. It would still be useful if a local would chip in.

Edit: Were you in range for Long-eared Chipmunk? Your pic shows long ears, to my eye, and the pattern also fits.

Cheers

John
Thanks again - our field guide puts Long-eared within range, I'll try to find some pics on line to compare.

Monterey to Ventura

We decided not to go back to other side of the Pinnacles but to do stops closer to Highway 1, first stop wasn’t successful as we found the Point Lobos SNR still closed at 7.00 and with nowhere to park (think it opens at 8.30), so decided to abandon that, instead we found some view points overlooking the ocean and scanned for waders, I was looking for Surfbird and Black Oystercatcher (we didn’t go into the Monteery aquarium for the tame OC), first stop got us only Willet and Great Blue Heron but at the second stop I got on two Black Oystercatchers and when we had studied them in the scope decided it was now time for Breakfast for which we headed to Big Sur to Café on the river. After Breakfast we visited both Pfieffer and Julia Pfieffer Burns SPs. Quite a good selection of forest birds including Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Acorn Woodpeckers, Brown Creepers, White-breasted Nuthatch, Nashville Warbler, California Quail on the trail and finally a new woodpecker, having pretty much seen given up on seeing anything new in the Woodpecker department after about 10 groups of Acorn that morning we had Lewis’s Woodpecker just by the river, I suspect we disturbed it from the river just by the little ranger bridge while it was drinking, I thought this was more likely at Pinnacles or in the mountains but it’s been a bit like that seeing birds we were looking for before a day or two later. We also had a look at the waterfall that falls onto the beach and then made our next stop at LimeKiln, although most parks seemed to allow you in with a valid State Park pass for that day, the lady at the hut said they were full today for day-use visitors but we could park up and take a short walk. In just walking down to the sea we had another Condor and a Peregrine Falcon over on the rocks and more Black Oystercatchers on the shore.
Only other stop on way to Ventura apart was at the Elephant-sea view point I think it was near Pismo, but in any event you could get very close to the Elephant Seals and the seals were pretty active. Roads from outskirts of Santa Barbara were very busy it was a Friday afternoon on a holiday week-end and we heard predictions of traffic chaos for tomorrow around the LA area. On arriving at Ventura we found the Motel pretty basic and not in a great area so we just dropped off our bags and headed immediately to the harbour, we stopped by the Channel Island info centre and were talking to a birder, he was a Brit but his son was American, he was advising us to go around to the other side and walk to the pond, when I saw what I was almost certain was a Surfbird, I thanked him for his help grabbed my scope and headed onto the beach towards the rocks, sure enough it was one of my target birds and having got it in the scope I was pleased to watch it and study its behaviour as it fed in the surf and got submerged by the waves but I wasn’t getting the buzz I expected from finding it, in retrospect I think I had already given myself it for the one that got away at Lands End. Other birds included Long-billed Curlew, Willet, Brown Pelican, Great Blue Heron, Dark-eyed Junco and the first Eurasian Collared Dove of the trip (we saw many more as we went further south) and Heerman's Gulls a plenty in the car park were all we noted.
We then grabbed a burger at a fast food place and then took a six pack of beers back to the room to write up the day and plan tomorrow.

Attachments

• heerman's gull.JPG
    heerman's gull.JPG
    762.2 KB · Views: 44
  • elephant seals.JPG
    elephant seals.JPG
    702.7 KB · Views: 41
  • great blue heron.JPG
    great blue heron.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 32
  • condor2.JPG
    condor2.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 40
  • warbler in flight.JPG
    warbler in flight.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 46
A few shots from earlier

I think this is Juvenile Mountain but we also saw Western Bluebird on this day so not 100% sure which youngster it is

Attachments

• nashville warbler.JPG
    nashville warbler.JPG
    752.8 KB · Views: 42
  • toulume river.JPG
    toulume river.JPG
    940.9 KB · Views: 35
  • area with Rosy Finches.JPG
    area with Rosy Finches.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 35
  • western bluebird juv.JPG
    western bluebird juv.JPG
    696.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Ventura to San Diego

Change of plan for today we decided against visit to Mount Pinos or Chilao Visitor Centre on the basis that we had seen most of the target birds and that traffic was forecast to be bad. So we were off at first light and had breakfast beyond Los Angeles by 8.00, we really didn’t want to be caught up in holiday traffic heading to Disney, Knotts Berry Farm or Universal before we had even travelled beyond greater LA, So apologies to those people who had PM us or suggested details of sites. We decided to spend the morning at Newport Eco Reserve, we stopped first at the view point and had Least Terns, a Caspian Tern and a number of Black Skimmers. In the scrub alongside the road we had a two Northern Mockingbirds, and a few imports a Nutmeg Mannikin and a Red Masked Parakeet. In scoping the waders we saw Long-billed Curlew, Willet, Black-winged Stilt, Long-billed Dowitcher and Grey (black-bellied) Plover. We then drove around the one way system stopping at all the likely areas, we were lucky in getting a little flock of California Gnatcatchers in the scrub opposite Rail island, (so no need for Crystal Cove visit) we also had Wrentit here, but better was to come we didn’t really come looking for rails here as we had a spot on the Tijuana River area to try tomorrow, but I spotted some movement amongst the vegetation and there it was a Light-footed Clapper Rail, I couldn’t get Sarah on it despite showing her a zoomed in photo of where it was, so a quick dash back to car and fortunately the bird hadn’t moved, so I was able to get Sarah on it in the scope a good job too (as she missed one I spotted later). There was also the bonus of a Marsh Wren which we were able to look down on otherwise we would never have seen it. After a nice morning we decided to head towards San Diego but almost as soon as we got on the I5 the traffic was stationary or at best creeping along in all 8 lanes so we decided to head towards what we thought was the National Audubon Sanctuary near San Juan hot springs on the 74, our map was obviously a bit out as we got near to San Juan and asked at the fire station for directions to the Audubon place, they thought it was miles away and not driveable from where we were but there was a Cleveland National Forest area about 1 mile away, so that’s where we headed. The area has some trails and toilets and picnic benches but despite saying you needed to pay or have a yearly pass to use the area there was no way to do so. We checked with some mountain bikers who had been here all day and they said we should be OK for a couple of hours, as they hadn't paid and hadn't seen anyone - we were. This area looked as though it would be really productive but all we had was Steller’s Jay, Acorn Woodpecker, White-breasted Nuthatch, California Thrasher and California Towhee before we got a nice Black-throated Sparrow foraging around the picnic benches. We thought traffic might have got better but it wasn’t much better and we had to queue to get on the I5 after and then it was stop start all the way to Oceanside where we decided to cut over to the I15 after hearing the latest traffic report. We did stop briefly and a view point and managed to see Ground Squirrels and Dolphins.
Having arrived at the hotel we found it full but not serving dinner or with an open bar, so we asked for advice and decided to eat at Donovan’s a very good but pricey Steak and Fish restaurant at La Jolla.

Attachments

• nutmeg mannikin.JPG
    nutmeg mannikin.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 39
  • canyon wren.JPG
    canyon wren.JPG
    705.1 KB · Views: 41
  • hummer c.JPG
    hummer c.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 37
  • mountain bluebird.JPG
    mountain bluebird.JPG
    599.1 KB · Views: 42
  • red-tailed hawk light.JPG
    red-tailed hawk light.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 39
A fe dolphin shots

and other marine life

Attachments

• dolphin fin well marked.JPG
    dolphin fin well marked.JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 42
  • dolphins at play.JPG
    dolphins at play.JPG
    758.3 KB · Views: 35
  • harbor seal.JPG
    harbor seal.JPG
    933.5 KB · Views: 37
  • elephant seals.JPG
    elephant seals.JPG
    702.7 KB · Views: 40
  • risso's dolphins.JPG
    risso's dolphins.JPG
    743.8 KB · Views: 46
Tijuana River Valley and Estuary

Breakfast was included at the hotel but only started at 7.00 on a Sunday so we had breakfast and then headed down to the Dairy Mart Pond and surrounding areas. On the pond there were plenty of American Coots, Moorhen, Great White Egret and Great Blue Heron, we also saw Double-crested Cormorant, Snowy Egret and a Black-crowned Night Heron roost. There weren’t too many waders although we did see Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Willet and Marbled Godwit. There were a couple of flycatchers a likely Willow Flycatcher and a Black Phoebe and also a Western Kingbird. We then headed to the Butterfly area where we added a couple of Hummers one we identified as Allen’s because of green back and because someone had said it was about and a Black-chinned seen along with many Butterflies including a few lovely Swallowtails. We then drove around to the Estuary Visitor Centre, things started quite promisingly when we spotted the two Yellow-crowned Night Herons that had been spotted earlier, we then tried for the Clapper Rail around the boardwalk areas but only saw a Northern Harrier, before we tried the North McCoy trail where we bumped into a couple of Scottish birders who were doing the area by Public Transport, all we saw at this point were Pied-billed Grebes, a Harris Hawk and Willet before a we split up. As they went to head towards the river mouth trail (so directly opposite) a Light-footed Clapper Rail decided to cross the channel, I saw it and pointed, somehow Sarah missed the bird, but fortunately the Scottish couple who had just left after being there for ages got on it albeit a little distantly. We then headed alongside the US Navy Landing Field, where we were told we were guaranteed Burrowing Owls, we saw Belding Savannah Sparrow, Says Phoebe, Black Phoebe and Barn Swallow but no a sign off an Owl, the area to look is clearly marked with please do not disturb the owl signs but despite it being not too hot, not too windy, not a single Owl was seen. On this trip we had been pretty lucky with what we were looking for and got a few unexpected surprises along the way but without doubt this is the worst we have done for Owls fortunately we have seen Burrowing Owl before but it was still disappointing. So we headed along to the river mouth where a few good birds had been reported earlier. We had Royal Tern, Elegant Tern, Brown Pelican, Little Blue Heron and various Egrets but there was no sign of the Brown or Blue-footed Boobies reported earlier out at sea, all we got was a single Dark-vented Shearwater a little way out. On the way back we had a Black-tern over the marsh and a couple of California Gnatcatcher in the scrub and 2 Ospreys flying over. We then headed up to Sweetwater Marsh NWR, we didn’t realise it was more of a tourist attraction than a reserve but as we only wanted to walk the trail down to the rocks they let us in for free. There was actually quite a few waders here with Snowy Plover, Greater Yellowlegs, Western Sandpiper, Long billed Curlew and Marbled Godwit on the shore and then amongst the rocks on a rising tide was another Surfbird and some Sanderling as we headed back to the car we had a Pacific Wren in the scrubby bushes near the nets.
We did think about trying for Owls at Los Penasquitos Canyon which was just round from our hotel but as the car park closed at Dusk and there were a few people around we decided against it. Only bird seen here was a Northern Flicker. This in hindsight was possibly a mistake as we did hear a Western Screech Owl just before dawn the next day, but we also had a problem with technology; Sarah’s phone which had all the bird calls on it would only work for a minute before the battery died, and I didn't have a cable to plug the speaker into my tablet, so we needed to keep the phone plugged in, in the car and then use the Bluetooth speaker within range of the car about 20 feet so we were pretty limited in where we could now use playback. Anyway that was it for the day, tonight we ate at Red Lobster and enjoyed loads of good inexpensive seafood.

Attachments

• gbh head.jpg
    gbh head.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 40
Day 16 San Elijo and San Diego

One of the reasons for having San Diego on the trip was to allow Sarah a bit of a catch-up as I’d spent a week on business here a few years ago. So today we would do birding in the morning then visit the Old Town and the Museum and park at Balboa. So out nice and as breakfast now started at 6.00, at the car we could hear a Screech Owl in the distance but with people starting to move and light fast approaching I couldn’t work out exactly where it was calling from, but it was probably in a garden between us and the Canyon. We visited San Elijo Lagoon. We did the first part (east of I5) from an entrance on a residential road. It took us in near at the top of the reserve near a large bare tree on the left where there were three White-tailed Kites and Sharp-shinned Hawk sitting in what was possibly their overnight roost as we headed down toward the viewing area for the first pond we had California Gnatcatcher near the little cactus garden and then California Towhee and Black Phoebe. From the viewpoint there were three large flocks (40-60 birds) of Red-winged Blackbirds flying from the reeds into nearby pond and a smaller number of Yellow-headed Blackbirds. On the pond were Great Blue Heron, Snowy Egret and flying over an Osprey. On the track down we had a couple of Western Scrub Jay, House Finches and then a Costa’s Hummingbird. On the level on the muddy pools before the I5 there were some waders, a couple of Killdeer, a few Western Sandpiper and though we saw it for only a minute or so, before if flew towards the coast before we could photograph it, I’m pretty sure we had Baird’s Sandpiper (although not a lifer we haven’t seen that many but it certainly appeared to be a Juvenile bird it was right size with buff breast band and long wings). We were told at the Information Centre that Baird’s Sandpiper was seen yesterday near the coast. I couldn’t find details so no idea if it could have been the same bird. It was now back to the car to drive around to the Visitor Centre on Manchester road, where there is a nice boardwalk and then some trails along the railway tracks. We had a very pleasant walk but didn’t see a great deal. So we decided to drive downtown and then to Balboa park. In both cases I was very lucky as I found a parking spot almost immediately despite it being packed as it was a very busy public holiday.
Alongside the sight-seeing we did a little bit of incidental birding, we had Hooded Oriole, Hutton’s Vireo, Western Scrub Jay, Anna’s Hummingbird and a Cliff Swallow fly over, while at the cactus canyon trail we had a few California Towhee’s and a California Thrasher co-incidentally this is place where I had my first sightings of both these birds 8 years ago albeit it is now much more landscaped and less natural than this area was about then.
We then drove back to the hotel, showered and changed and on the advice of the receptionist we headed off to eat at a local Chinese Restaurant but it was closed for the holiday so a Mexican dinner it was with Burrito and Mojito for Sarah which she thought sounded very amusing.

Attachments

• acorn from above.JPG
    acorn from above.JPG
    820.9 KB · Views: 41
  • pos hybrid hummer.JPG
    pos hybrid hummer.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 41
  • willet.JPG
    willet.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 41
  • juv will saps.JPG
    juv will saps.JPG
    748.5 KB · Views: 45
Day 17 San Diego to Joshua Tree via Salton Sea

A slight change of plan we did drive into Anza Borrega desert NP and on to Joshua Tree but on route decided it was better to do the Salton Sea today rather than drive down there through Joshua Tree NP tomorrow. We stopped just after Julian, I didn’t know until later there is a reserve nearby but as we saw some Wild Turkey in the early morning sunshine it seemed like a good place to turn off, there was some trees alongside the road and a very dry grassy area, whilst I was photographing the Turkeys not a great shot due to the sun and the fact they were now hiding in the trees, we saw a Western Meadowlark and a Scrub Jay but we then got what I didn’t really hold much hope for this early in the year three Mountain Plovers. So a really good start to the day. The next stop was not quite so good when we stopped at Ocotillo Wells where despite a good 30 minute scan in all direction we had absolutely nothing, not a single bird, not a lizard not a scrub rabbit nothing, but the information boards told us what we could have seen – oh well. Onwards then to the Salton Sea before it got too hot. We tried a couple of farm tracks to get to the see the lake but they were blocked off however the second of these about a mile or so North of Poe Road had a very mature looking irrigation pond with quite a bit of reeds we saw Coot, Northern Shoveler, Gadwall and Blue-winged Teal but then out of the reeds came a Yuma Clapper Rail, it didn’t show for long but it gave us a great view. Hopefully this pond will remain but we did see farm hands setting up new pipes along the track. It was now after 9.30 and the temperature was 98 degrees C as we arrived at Poe Road. We were able to drive almost right up to the birds and use the car as a hide and then get out slowly and scan. There were huge numbers of birds here, 1000’s of American Avocet’s, Black-winged Stilts, Double-crested Cormorant, Snowy Plovers, Willet, Marbled Godwits, Western and Least Sandpipers, then as scanned we found two Yellow-footed Gulls, I wasn’t sure how tricky these would be but we actually saw groups in three of our stops. Herring, Franklin and California Gulls were present in greater numbers but I then cried out Blue Footed Booby, the bird was flying straight in front of us but heading South West and into the distance this was first time since the Galapagos that we had seen this bird. Despite trying at all the stops including Obsidian and the Marina where we thought the bird might have headed we didn’t pick it up again. It turned out the reason Sarah was slow getting on the Blue-footed Booby was because she was watching a Wood Stork flying the other way. I never did get the Wood Stork. It was now after 11 and the flies, the smell and the heat were getting to us so after ticking off Caspian Tern, Long-billed Dowitcher and Black-bellied Plover we headed around to Sonny Bono NWR Unit 1. There was absolutely no one around but it looked there was a permitted trail out toward the sea for a way but it was now approaching 110 degrees and Sarah wasn’t keen on a long trek so we agreed just a mile or so out and back but before we had even moved we had the first of hundreds of White-faced Ibis started coming in, there was also huge numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds flying around and on the water Northern Pintail, Mallard, Pied-billed Grebe and Eared Grebe as we got back to the viewing platform we spotted Red-tailed and Ferruginous Hawks and then a Loggerhead Shrike. It was now too hot to do much so we decided to drive to Calipatria where filled up with cheapest fuel of the trip, got more water and soda and then had lunch in a nice newly opened and air-conditioned dinner (it is only one on the High St). Over lunch we decided to do the Finney Ramar Unit, then the main Sonny Bono reserve before trying to find some Lesser Nighthawks near the Wister Unit. Then some stops at the North end of the lake this meant we wouldn’t go down to Brawley.
We went first around the tracks at the Ramer Finney. Birding was mainly driving in the a/c vehicle then getting out for a few minutes as the temperature was 112 in the shade and the thermometer was showing 120 in the direct sunshine. At almost every stop we raised 100’s of Brewers, Red Winged and Yellow Headed Blackbirds. In the reeds were Black-crowned Night Herons and the first Fulvous Whistling ducks, American Wigeon, Shoveler and Gadwall, and on the muddy margin a Spotted Sandpiper still in breeding plumage worryingly there were signs of recent hunting cartridges etc. and loads of signs about the place saying that Dove hunters were welcome. As we arrived at the main Sonny Bono reserve the only birds to be seen were Mourning and Common Ground Doves sitting in the shade. We had a word with the lady reception to ask what was about but it appears almost no-one was birding around here, although she did mention that she had seen a Yellow Legged Gull and did give us a possible place for Burrowing and Great Horned Owl, in keeping with our luck on night birds we didn’t find them. We decided to risk a walk around the Red Rock-trail it was only about 2.5 miles round trip with a few steps off to look for birds but by the time got out to the sea and the managed pool, only birds seen on the way out were Verdin and a load of European Starlings; Sarah was wilting so we decide to just scan from the little bit of shade offered by the seating area. There was plenty on the pool and the sea, most numerous were Avocet, Stilts, Pelicans and Cormorants but there were also a good few terns including Black, Caspian and Forster’s and amongst the gulls we found another four Yellow-footed Gulls and on the mud a few Semi-palmated Plovers were feeding alongside Curlews and Godwits. Sarah just asked where I was up to in this write up, I said I’ve mentioned you are wilting, she said nearly dying more like. Anyway with a lot of water and a few stops along the way she made it back to the trailhead where she spotted an Albert’s Towhee so she wasn’t that out of it. A quick drive to and short walks at Obsidian Butte, Red-hill Marina and then along Garst Track gave us another couple of Yellow-footed Gulls and a huge flock of White-face Ibis and about 200 Cattle Egrets but nothing else new. We then headed up to the spot suggested for Lesser Nighthawks however the whole area around Wister waterfowl management area seems to be having some major alterations with Wister Road and Ruddy road completely closed to traffic coming from the 111 from the map Jos gave me I got as close to the roost site as I could but new gravel had been put down under the trees, so whether on the ground or the lower branches I suspect the birds have been disturbed, disappointing but as these weren’t lifers, we weren’t too upset particularly as we had a show-off Painted Redstart fly out from the trees and display for us. Interestingly there was a Painted Redstart spotted at Big Morongo a day or two later it was mentioned by a volunteer there who told us about it when we mentioned what we saw at Salton Sea. Last stop in the area was in the State Recreation Area, we had a Greater Roadrunner as we entered the car park and then more of the same but in much fewer number than at the south of the lake.
So a pretty good day with only disappointment being that no Sandhill Cranes had made it down to Salton Sea yet
We then drove to Yucca Valley where we checked in and then decided to do another Owling attempt this time at the Joshua Tree NP entrance. However it seemed to get dark earlier here and we just got to the edge of the park, not well signposted from Joshua Tree before it was pitch black, as mentioned earlier we were limited on where we could go and use playback so we had to stay around the car. 1 hour and 6 types of Owl called and nothing !! and to make matters worse when we were heading back I missed my turn to get to a local Chinese restaurant and did a legal U-turn only to get pulled over by a dim young Traffic-Cop who said it could have been dangerous, not as dangerous as him pulling out with no lights on I’m sure, but I decided being nice was way to go and after a little bit of “yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, he sent me on my way with a drive carefully, but not before Sarah almost got me arrested for driving while unfit when she said we’ve been driving for 17 days without incident, he said 17 days without sleep are you fit to drive. No “17 days without incident and with lots of stops for sleep” – I did say he was dim. We never did get to the Chinese as we said we were going back to the hotel to the cop and he followed us for a bit so it was Mexican again in a place near the hotel.

Attachments

• swallowtail.JPG
    swallowtail.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 40
  • western scrub jay.JPG
    western scrub jay.JPG
    799.4 KB · Views: 39
  • _MG_6384.JPG
    _MG_6384.JPG
    652.7 KB · Views: 36
  • northern harrier.JPG
    northern harrier.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 43
  • red-tailed hawk light.JPG
    red-tailed hawk light.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 40
Very hot

Sounds like a red-hot trip, very nice read !!

Thanks, indeed it was very hot and a bit unpleasant at Salton Sea (smell and flies plus lack of breeze) but well worth a visit at this time of year as I'm sure if we had had a bit more time there were other birds to be found as we didn't see another birder and there was no up to date information on what might be around even when you found an information centre. We did bump into a Brit who was heading down there a couple of days later so at least we were able to pass on where to find the Yellow-footed Gulls, in our case this was quite easy.

Big Morongo and Joshua Tree NP

We did think about a drive through Joshua Tree very early to go back to Salton Sea / Brawley – but in the end as we heard that Big Morongo opened early on a Wednesday (volunteers open gate for a walk that starts about 7.00). Anyway we got there at first light and gate was just open, it was actually quite cool about 60 degrees F, we signed in and then we heard a tanager in the trees and there was a superb male Summer Tanager – a first for Sarah. There were actually 3 Summer Tanagers and at least 4 Western Tanagers in this area. We decided to walk the Marsh and Mesquite trails before heading back for Breakfast and then in to Joshua Tree NP. It was clear that there had been a decent fall of migrants as we saw Nashville, Lucy’s, Yellow and Orange-crowned Warbler and heard Black-Throated Grey. We then heard and managed to see a nice pale Bewick’s Wren and then a few Hummers Costa’s and Rufous, we later learned that you could easily see four at the Hummingbird feeders by the caravan. Towards the water we had our first Vermillion Flycatcher of the trip and then a Brown-crested Flycatcher, which appeared to be competing with a Black Phoebe to see who could catch the most insects. Only other birds of note were Western Scrub Jay and American Goldfinch.
After a quick breakfast we entered Joshua Tree NP by the West Entrance and headed to Hidden Valley – really good scenery but not a whole lot of birds but by the trailhead there were a couple of Black-throated Sparrows taking shade in the bushes or under parked cars, then a few Verdin and a Western Scrub Jay. Doves were Mourning and White-winged. On the way back to the car we saw a White-tailed Antelope Squirrel. Next stop was the Barker Dam where had Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sage Sparrow and then in the cactus our first group of Cactus Wrens and a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher. We then headed up to Keys View again great views but no Bighorn Sheep just some Cotton Tail rabbits and Turkey Vulture, Raven and Red-tailed Hawk as it passed noon it was getting a little hot, although under 100F, as we are a few thousand feet higher here than at Salton Sea, so we decided to leave the park at 29 Palms and get some lunch in an air conditioned restaurant. Around 2 we came back in the North Entrance (the one fee $10 fee covers you all week you just display the ticket on the windscreen). Plan was to head to Cottonwood but we learned that trails there were closed so we went to the Cholla Cactus area in hope of more Cactus Wren but all we saw was a fleeting glimpse of a Thrasher which we were unable to ID as it scuttled around on the ground always seemingly on the round side of a cactus. We decided that despite or lack of success we would try for some night birds at Black Rock Camp as we were learned that a Great Horned Owl was regularly seen there. As this was near the end of the holiday we decided and hour by the pool was in order while we charged up batteries and wrote up our notes. We headed out about 6 up to Black Rock camping area just outside the park we saw our first little groups of Gambel’s Quail, we stopped and followed then into a garden but they weren’t for being photographed. We found the pic-nic area near the camping grounds had a car park right amongst the trees where we would try for Owls later. On our walk up the hill saw a Dusky Chipmunk, then some Dark-eyed Junco, House Finch and Western Scrub Jay, after taking a few photos of the park at dusk, we found ourselves a family party of Gambel’s Quail having a dust bath in the gloom (I’ll try to post some video) and we then heard some Coyote’s calling and whilst looking for them we had a couple of Lesser Nighthawks hawking for moths / insects. It was now completely dark so we set up at one of the tables and tried calling some Owls, first try was Great Horned Owl and we actually got a response albeit distant, we tried a few more times but it didn’t seem to want to know and as we couldn’t get towards it another attempt failed, we didn’t get a response from the other Owls tried and had to make do with some Yuma Myotis bats.
We had booked a table at the Japanese Fusion restaurant next to the hotel so we new we would be fed its amazing how many restaurants close at 9 or 9.30pm around here. It was actually excellent and we would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Attachments

• ground squirrel x.JPG
    ground squirrel x.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 38
  • swallowtail.JPG
    swallowtail.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 41
  • antelope squirrel.JPG
    antelope squirrel.JPG
    771.3 KB · Views: 36
  • sarah at joshua tree.JPG
    sarah at joshua tree.JPG
    928.7 KB · Views: 51
  • joshua tree.JPG
    joshua tree.JPG
    652.8 KB · Views: 40
Face to Face with a Rattlesnake and then the drive to Las Vegas

Our last day, oh how time flies. We decided that Big Morongo was likely to our best bet for some birds we were still trying for but it didn’t officially open today until 7.30 so we decided to get there about 6.45 and park outside and bird around the area. However we had just done a bit of a walk along the roadside when the gate was opened so we moved the car inside and did a similar walk to yesterday with a bit in the open area near the trees where we could hopefully get a few woodpeckers.
No woodpeckers on the way in but we did get a Summer Tanager quite likely the same bird as yesterday. Next bird was a Black-headed Grosbeak, then our first warbler of the morning a Wilson’s. On the marsh trail we had a Marsh Wren but then a bird I was really hoping for a Yellow-breasted Chat flew into a bush and showed pretty well, for some reason despite taking my camera for a walk I failed to photograph this bird any bird this morning. It the went pretty quiet for a bit with just Scrub Jays for company. However when we got to the back of the Mesquite trail where there is a little water the place suddenly started jumping, we had two Common Yellowthroats, 3 Wilson’s Warbler, a MacGillivary’s Warbler, Yellow-rumped, 2 Nashville warblers, Orange crowned, Hermit and Western Tanager, Hammond’s Flycatcher and another Yellow-breasted Chat and at least a dozen other warbler we didn’t positively get on and ID albeit I think they were more of the same; all in this one area of scrub, I don’t know if this is usually the best spot but there must have been a good reason why this area was buzzing whilst else where there was just the odd bird (location was just after the wrecked car on the path going anti-clockwise). After that we didn’t see a great deal until we got to marker 1 on the Marsh Trail when I was attracted by the 3rd Yellow Breasted Chat of the day, but Sarah was more interested by something on the ground just 6 feet from the boardwalk, she nudged me pointed and said pinkish snake. I looked through the camera but it was too close for a 400M lens but I noticed what initially looked like a second head, but it was a rattle not a second head. I quickly put the zoom lens on but it was already moving towards the boardwalk as I bent to try to photograph it, it went straight underneath us and under the boardwalk, perhaps fortunately I didn’t fire off a load of shots and annoy it, as one of the wardens who we bumped into a few minutes leader confirmed it was a Red Diamondback Rattle Snake and that it could jump twice it’s body length to strike if it was annoyed, it was 4 or 5 feet long and we were only 6 or 7 feet away, still it was a great sighting as Sarah really loves snakes. On the very end of the trail a Vermillion Flycatcher was showing nicely.
In chatting to the warden he mentioned that the feeding station by the caravan park was a public area and that we should have a look, he also mentioned that a Nutty-back Woodpecker was coming down there. We also discussed the Painted Redstart we had seen at Salton Sea two days ago and he mentioned the sighting here yesterday. He also said Yellow-breasted Chats are common here so don’t know how we missed one yesterday. It would have been good to have had info yesterday about a drip that gets pretty much everything down later in the day and the fact that a Great Horned Owl had been seen at dusk a few time this week, all really helpful gen if we hadn’t been leaving in a few minutes. Anyway quick change of plans we wouldn’t go now we could have another hour here if we packed quickly and drove through to Vegas without the planned stop. So we drove down to the feeding area and set up in the chairs, we had all four common Humming birds Rufous, Costa, Black-chinned and Allen’s within 10 minutes of sitting down. Then we spotted a Woodpecker on the tree near the road, it was a full Ladder-backed Woodpecker a lifer for Sarah, then the Nutty-back part Nuttall’s part Ladder-backed came to the feeder , it looked more like a Nuttall’s to me with spots rather than streaks on the side but with barred outer tail feathers. Not sure whether I can list the hybrid bird. Also around the feeding station was a Bullock’s Oriole and 3 Scrub Jays, a flock of Goldfinches and a Black-headed Grosbeak. The only bird of prey was an American Kestrel.
The drive back to Vegas was uneventful and we arrived at the airport just after 15.00 for our flight back at 17.30. The flight left on time and we arrived back in Manchester at 10.45 the next day around 20 minutes early.

A few stats we drove 3120 miles and saw almost 250 birds so a bird for about every 12.5 miles of driving.

Attachments

• nuttal woodp.JPG
    nuttal woodp.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 37
  • bh grsobeak.JPG
    bh grsobeak.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 40
  • hummer c.JPG
    hummer c.JPG
    634.5 KB · Views: 41
  • nmb.JPG
    nmb.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 39
  • unknown.JPG
    unknown.JPG
    949.5 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back