• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 40D owner....... (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
..........may need to ask more questions later.|:$|

I have today acquired from Ebay a bargain 40D; (under £300 and under 4000 on the shutter), checking it out I thought I'd found a problem in that I couldn't select the AF point, however after a tense hour probing the manual and mostly playing with the settings and even *Clearing all camera settings* it still wasn't working until I finally found it in C.fnIII - *Auto focus/Drive AF point selection method.*

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was to find that.

So, a couple of questions,

The screens are still pristine and I'd quite like to put on a screen protector - is there one that is particularly recommended? I assume a glass protector screen is going to be more robust than a plastic film.

7Dayshop has some Duracell CF cards (45 mb/s transfer rate) at a good price - has anyone used these - or would I be better off sticking with Sandisk?

I bought an invisibleshield from Zagg for my 40D after using another brand which was only designed to last 6 months per screen and they weren't particularly clear. I've just bought a 7D and I got one for that too.

The Zagg screen is slightly dearer, but is brilliantly clear, doesn't scratch and comes with a guarantee. It comes cut to size for the individual camera quoted and includes protection for the rear screen and the data screen on top of the camera body. Simple to apply, too.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/index.php

They say delivery takes a few days, but I had mine after only two.

For the screen try the GGS version, very thin piece of glass that fits the LCD perfectly, about 8 quid on Ebay. Much better than any of the plastic film things, no air bubbles and excellent clarity.

Don't know much about Duracell Cards, always use Sandisk, if you don't need the extra durability of the Extreme then the newer Ultra 30mb/s are excellent, the 40D file sizes are not that huge and find a few 4Gb are more than adequate.

Good choice I reckon with the 40D, mine is on nearly 70,000 clicks, one of the field guide type books you see on Amazon might also be a good idea, like an expanded manual and much easier to read.
I find that turning off all the things like auto optimizer, noise reduction etc does no harm and one of them actually stops you getting down to ISO100, can't remember which though off the top of my head

Finally if you hear a slight rattle don't worry, its well documented and even mentioned somewhere in the manual, only the hinge linkage on the flash, mine has it and really is no biggie

Last edited:
My thanks to you both, I've opted for the GGS protector as there's very little in it on price, (£6.99 inc p&p from Amazon).

I'll also take a look at Amazon for the field guide (when I get a minute) and I think I may as well be the guinea pig with the Duracell card.

Please let us know how you get on with the Duracell card, they seem a goodly price and would welcome an actual user test.

Enjoy your new camera, if you have any questions feel free to ask and will do my best to help

Please let us know how you get on with the Duracell card, they seem a goodly price and would welcome an actual user test.

It arrived today and after inserting it, the camera said it needs to format the card, so I pressed all the buttons for that and the camera said it couldn't format the card.

I then tried it in my 350D which first showed a CF error and then changed to err99.

None of the three card readers available to me can even see the card.

So, it's going back and will be exchanged (hopefully) for a Sandisk Ultra.

I do have another question - :t: - does the dioptre setting on the viewfinder have any effect on the image seen when in live view?

I'll quickly answer this one , the dioptre setting only has an effect on the view finder not on the LCD screen or the final image, so not it will have no effect on the image seen in live fiew :)

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back