• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New AX Visio 10x32 binocular (1 Viewer)

Chuck, in ten years...this will be the norm as tech makes 'this' ...cheaper. But it will no doubt change the flow of birding, right or wrong if embraced. Old timers will stick with the traditional binocular and those who love new tech or are new to birding will no doubt embrace this. If embraced, ...well, I will let it go to each own's imagination on how it might change the skill, flow and enjoyment of birding.

So this is what I am missing 'it's an unobtrusive device that lets you use it while you're focused on enjoying being outside. People seem to be missing this."? What exactly is an unobstrusive device....allowing me to focus on enjoyment? The ultimate unobtrusive device would be with the naked eyes.... a pair of regular binoculars would come second. But this AXV appears to me as a distraction as one fiddles with everything to capture pictures and ID's etc.... So no, unobtrusive? Not in my book
And nobody is forcing anyone to buy one! Isn't that wonderful?
Per

I've been playing with the AX for a bit since I'm writing a Finnish review of it for a magazine. I won't write much here yet, but a couple of observations.

The bird ID function is indeed very easy to use, but for reliable identification the bird needs to be pretty close and should not be obstructed by a lot of shrub or branches. As it is, it can be very useful if you don't know the local species very well, but I get quite a lot of "no bird found" messages. However, the big plus is that you automatically get a photo every time you ID something, and with Merlin or a field-guide you can revisit every attempt at ID later. So I could see that used in a smart way, this binocular could really improve a novice's learning curve.

Having the camera mode selected means that when viewing a bird it is supremely easy to take a snapshot or a video without losing concentration on the visual viewing. You really don't have to think much about whether or not to take a picture which is nice. The quality is better than what I expected.

The binocular itself is fine. Not NL Pure brilliant, but about as good as any other 10x32. No problem here. It is heavy, but fits the hands well. I'm used to Canon 10x42 L, and the AX is actually heavier. Per, if you have an accurate scale, could weigh yours? I think the published weight it a bit optimistic. The recessed focus wheel is not easy to use with gloves on, it being too easy to rub your finger against the binocular body instead of the wheel. The buttons work pretty well but there could be more pronounced tactile differences between them. I'm sure that with little more practice they become more intuitive to use.

- Kimmo

I'd really like to get an idea of how good the camera really is. Does anyone know a source for photos at full resolution with a full set of EXIF data? (I don't need the GPS data, of course.) Preferably photos taken in different light conditions.

I'd very much prefer to have photos takes by birders, NOT any photos included in some advertising material.

If someone here is prepared to share some photos, send me a PM and I'll let you have an email address.

Hermann

I'd really like to get an idea of how good the camera really is. Does anyone know a source for photos at full resolution with a full set of EXIF data? (I don't need the GPS data, of course.) Preferably photos taken in different light conditions.

I'd very much prefer to have photos takes by birders, NOT any photos included in some advertising material.

If someone here is prepared to share some photos, send me a PM and I'll let you have an email address.

Hermann
The ones I posted are cropped, here is an original, full size

Attachments

• AX VISIO_AXV_20240204-154223.475.jpg
    AX VISIO_AXV_20240204-154223.475.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 103
Just for fun, as we all wonder as to who will buy the AX Visio.

This is from the website of Birdwatching.net store, where you can read today the following remark under
Home / Binoculars / Swarovski / AX Visio, at the top of the page:

"We sold out immediately. However, the product shows as IN STOCK so that you can pre-order and save your place in line. When we receive our next shipment of the AX Visio, we will contact you."

see AX Visio - Swarovski - Binoculars

True or just marketing?
:oops:

Yes true...

This strikes me as analogous to the “amateur astronomers” who can’t find the first-quarter moon, an hour after sunset on a cloudless night, without a computer controlled telescope.

This strikes me as analogous to the “amateur astronomers” who can’t find the first-quarter moon, an hour after sunset on a cloudless night, without a computer controlled telescope.

For competent and experienced birders on familiar territory, maybe.

But... if such an innovation inspires / enables / engages a new cohort of the world's population to develop (or deepen) an interest in, and perhaps optimistically even a reverence for, the 'natural' world: then - and this is an open question - what's so wrong with that?

I look forward to the day when similar technology might help identify and describe, for instance, the intriguing and comparatively inaccessible world of lichens and mycorrhizae.

A lack of intimate knowledge of the relatively esoteric is not deserving of scorn.

Last edited:
Yes....." Is that am American Robin or a Canada Goose?..... ...not sure, let me see what my trusty $5000 pair of binoculars tell me."

For competent and experienced birders on familiar territory, maybe.

But... if such an innovation inspires / enables / engages a new cohort of the world's population to develop (or deepen) an interest in, and perhaps optimistically even a reverence for, the 'natural' world: then - and this is an open question - what's so wrong with that?

I look forward to the day when similar technology might help identify and describe, for instance, the intriguing and comparatively inaccessible world of lichens and mycorrhizae.

A lack of intimate knowledge of the relatively esoteric is not deserving of scorn.
I'm totally dependent on my potassium hydroxide to do the lichens to species...
😄

Yes....." Is that am American Robin or a Canada Goose?..... ...not sure, let me see what my trusty $5000 pair of binoculars tell me."
Now that's a bit polemic :)

You just need to go to the birdforum ID section to see that there is a good demand for help with identifying birds from pictures.

From looking at a few recent queries, I feel that the Merlin app (and the Swaro Visio) is pretty much as good as the combined intelligence of the birdforum crowd from the different corners of the world.

Merlin gives good answers to queries that are quickly solved by the birdforum crowd as well. This includes queries with pretty crappy record shots. Some recent examples.

Then there are often hot debates on birdforum, like this recent one where birdforum can't agree if it's a Water Pipit, Tawny Pipit or even Yellow Wagtail. Merlin says Water Pipit, I say it's a water pipit. But both of us can't really be trusted when so many birdforum experts don't agree.
- North Macedonia - Water or Tawny Pipit?

Of course it's a valid question if this new toy is worth 5000$. But for sure it's not just real dummies who would find it useful.

Just play the game and try answering the most recent 20 birdforum ID queries yourself. Are you better than Merlin / Swaro Visio?

Last edited:
Now that's a bit polemic :)

You just need to go to the birdforum ID section to see that there is a good demand for help with identifying birds from pictures.

From looking at a few recent queries, I feel that the Merlin app (and the Swaro Visio) is pretty much as good as the combined intelligence of the birdforum crowd from the different corners of the world.

Merlin gives good answers to queries that are quickly solved by the birdforum crowd as well. This includes queries with pretty crappy record shots. Some recent examples.

Then there are often hot debates on birdforum, like this recent one where birdforum can't agree if it's a Water Pipit, Tawny Pipit or even Yellow Wagtail. Merlin says Water Pipit, I say it's a water pipit. But both of us can't really be trusted when so many birdforum experts don't agree.
- North Macedonia - Water or Tawny Pipit?

Of course it's a valid question if this new toy is worth 5000$. But for sure it's not just real dummies who would find it useful.

Just play the game and try answering the most recent 20 birdforum ID queries yourself. Are you better than Merlin / Swaro Visio?
i understand where you are coming from....makes total sense but I think you are missing the point. Most of us, even skilled birders and especially in new areas outside of our 'patch', will struggle with bird ID.

But the point I am attempting to make is that you can challenge yourself and improve upon being a better birder by using our cognitive skills to determine/ID the bird. This is a skill....it not only takes into account bird field guides and learning how to read them etc, but also how ' to bird'.... do you know what to look for such as bird mannerisms? habitat, range/habitat etc.....

OR

Or you can just have your new $5000 binoculars tell you what you just saw.

i understand where you are coming from....makes total sense but I think you are missing the point. Most of us, even skilled birders and especially in new areas outside of our 'patch', will struggle with bird ID.

But the point I am attempting to make is that you can challenge yourself and improve upon being a better birder by using our cognitive skills to determine/ID the bird. This is a skill....it not only takes into account bird field guides and learning how to read them etc, but also how ' to bird'.... do you know what to look for such as bird mannerisms? habitat, range/habitat etc.....

OR

Or you can just have your new $5000 binoculars tell you what you just saw.

Why can't you do both?

Agree. In the end even the 5000$ AI powered binocular is just a tool, and can only be used for reliable identification combined with experience and good judgment.

But it can makes things more fun and help accelerating the learning curve.
Or -de-accelerate the learning curve. :) Kind of like learning a foreign language. If you immerse yourself in it, it helps and don't speak your native tongue. But chances are most people find their native tongue to speak somewhere within that foreign country, thus de-accelerating the learning process.

If that analogy makes sense to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back