• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New camera (1 Viewer)

firecrest9

I am thinking of buying a new camera. Is there any good camera out there that cost about £150-200? I have a coolpix4500.

Hi firecrest9 and welcome to BF

There are plenty of good cameras out there that fall within your budget. However it would be important to know what you want to use the camera for before anyone makes any recommendations.

Are you using it for digiscoping, as a general compact or do you want a super zoom?

Hello

I will be useing it as a digscoping. I am looking for a camera that gives you a "rapid buster" ie 2-3fps. I like the coolpixs but there a long delay before ur next picture. I am also looking for one that has recharge batterys.

Hope that helps.

Firecrest

There are plenty of good cameras out there that fall within your budget. However it would be important to know what you want to use the camera for before anyone makes any recommendations.

Are you using it for digiscoping, as a general compact or do you want a super zoom?[/QUOTE]

For digiscoping just about any compact with a 3x optical zoom will work, so if you look around you'll find plenty of options. Two popular model at the moment are the Fuji f30 and the Samsung NV3, both are very good digiscoping cameras. For more info about these and other digiscoping cameras check out the digiscoping forum.

New camera 2

Thank you for the info. I was looking at the Samsung Nv3 and I could not see if it had "rapid busters" on it. Could you tell me if it has or does not have it? Also will work well with a Swarovski HD80 Scope? Finally is the Samsung rate very high by people who used it for Digscooping?

Hi there!
I have no personal experience with the Samsung but, I've just read a review http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/samsung_nv3_review.htm that states continuous shooting is at 1.1 frames per second; this is pretty poor. The camera contains loads of stuff that you don't need, and doesn't have a load of stuff you do! My personal recommendation is go for the F30 without any shadow of doubt. Although this camera has some minor annoyances it is far more versatile with a higher quality output which will match the quality of your scope.
Timedrifter

firecrest9 said:
Thank you for the info. I was looking at the Samsung Nv3 and I could not see if it had "rapid busters" on it. Could you tell me if it has or does not have it? Also will work well with a Swarovski HD80 Scope? Finally is the Samsung rate very high by people who used it for Digscooping?

Timedrifter said:
Hi there!
I have no personal experience with the Samsung but, I've just read a review http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/samsung_nv3_review.htm that states continuous shooting is at 1.1 frames per second; this is pretty poor. The camera contains loads of stuff that you don't need, and doesn't have a load of stuff you do! My personal recommendation is go for the F30 without any shadow of doubt. Although this camera has some minor annoyances it is far more versatile with a higher quality output which will match the quality of your scope.
Timedrifter
I have no idea what "Rapid Buster's" is lol ... But i'm guessing your on about
quick burst's of shooting picture's, I can't speak about the Samsung as i have never played with One but i know the Fuji is holding it's own at the Minute, So that One may work for you,
1.1 Frame's Per second eh ... That's slow, My Nikon will burst 3 In a
Second but you can't get this Model anymore,
Also remember that even if you have a quick camera ... You will still need a
fast Memory Card somewhat ... I'd use a 133x at the least,
Good luck and Take care,
John,

Look for a new digital camera, with a budget of £200ish. I will be using it for digiscoping and for every day use. What is on the market this now? Tony

Not exactly a new model but well within prive range and a well regarded digiscoping camera is the Canon A95.

Frame rate is only 2 fps though as posted on another thread can be had for just £84.99 - Canon A95

Worth considering the Nikon P5100 as well which some members rate highly for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back