• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Delhi, India - Presumed Long-tailed Shrike (1 Viewer)

Mark Read

I saw this bird at Okhla Bird Sanctuary on 24th October 2012 but not in flight so cannot comment on any white in the wing. I presume it is Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach erythronotus) but am questioning the amount of brown, rather than grey, on the head. Is this age/sex related? If so, I'd appreciate your comments. Brown Shrike (L. cristatus lucionensis) (see OBI) also crossed my mind but the black tail and wings brings me back to L. schach.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Attachments

• Long-tailed Shrike2a.jpg
    Long-tailed Shrike2a.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 77
Agree with Tom for the same reasons. Lovely bird!

Thanks Daniel and Tom,

You both confirm what I expected. My initial doubt was due to the fact that it appears to be so brown. I've seen plenty of these in Nepal, but not one quite like this.

Anyone up for some vultures?

Regards,

Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back