• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest Raptor Confusion (1 Viewer)

jock

:h?: Ive been birding today. But my Partner and I came accross several birds that have realy confused us.

2 sightings are definately 1xBuzzard & 1xSparrowhawk. However the next 2 sighting proved a problem.

The ID made more difficult due to weather conditions ie heat haze & position of sun and gusting wind.(spotting scope at 40x magnification)

The first UFO's are 2x large raptors who innitially seemed to mirror each others flight. They both stayed relatively low to ground level using a flap-flap-glide flight.

They both also appeared to have long tails with long fingered wings. They both constantly called to each other (superficially gull like). wings held in a slight V shape, not straight. Suddenly without warning they met -1 turned upside down and they appeared to exchange something in mid-air.

They then parted,frantically calling, flying at first at shrub hight. 1 dissapeared but the other flew past us at very low level. It was brown in colour with a white rump, possibly a light bar on the tail.

The second UFO was spotted some 10 minutes later. A large, greyish coloured bird (possibly - long legged) was spotted sitting on top of a medium sized shrub. It flew with a flap-flap-glide motion, wings in a V shape. Black wing edges clearly visible.

Were both used to seeing buzzards and sparrowhawks but these 2 sightings have confused us particularly as we are reminded of the Hen Harriers we saw on Mull 2 years running. But wouldent this go against the text books????ie time of year etc

Please help cos its driving us loopy! :h?:

Jock

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a pair of Montagu's Harriers!

Dave

If a moderator sees this he/she might want to consider removing the thread as it is potentially giving away the location of a very rare breeding species

Last edited:
possibly.....

more than likely a pair of juvenile or female hen harriers, seems most consistent with the behaviour and colouration.

Last edited:
maybe for the best Michael

but you can be sure the eggers know the location already though. Friends of mine made the egg detectives documentary a few years back - eggers knew where more rare raptors were than the birders in several areas covered

Tim Allwood said:
I'd have thought Monty's much more likely in the area......
Agreed Tim - AFAIK, there's more Monty's breeding in England than Hens this year . . . those ****** gamekeepers have been holding a highly determined eradication campaign on Hens, and sad to say, have almost entirely succeeded

Michael

godwit said:
Sounds like a pair of Montagu's Harriers!

Dave

If a moderator sees this he/she might want to consider removing the thread as it is potentially giving away the location of a very rare breeding species

No grid reference or identifiable landmarks - even if they are Montagus - I believe the New Forest area is quite large enough for this!

Was it edited out ? - if so apologies

Last edited:
Yes, Benji the site details have now been removed.

Midas,

It is prime Montagu's habitat. Hen has never been recorded breeding in the New Forest, it prefers moist northern moorlands to dry southern heaths. Montagu's breeds there regularly in very small numbers.

Dave

???? What luck eh! To accidently bump into a pair of Monty`s passing food to each other - in an area the size of the New Forest without knowing either a site, nor indeed the birds themselves! Beginners Luck eh!

Tim Allwood said:
AFAIK 2!

22 pairs of Hens or something shocking like that isn't it Michael?
Hi Tim,

Last I'd heard, there were only 2-3 pairs of Hens left in England, all in Lancs; if Monty's are holding their numbers, the average over the last few years has been in the region of 10 pairs or so

Michael

I was aware of a pair of HH up North for the last few year, unfortunatley have not seen either bird, where I nearly allways saw them last year, possible victims as Michael suggests.

S***!

Sorry guys.
Diddn't want to stir it up o:D

Just new to all this!

Thanks to all

What ever type of birds we saw they gave a great show! No matter what species they were its always a privilage to see a bird of prey!

Out of interest it would be great to know from an expert what birds do actually pass stuff in mid-air???

Cheers
Jock

Hi Jock

Most birds of prey will do a food pass of one sort or another, some though, like Hen Harriers are better at it than most.

Watched a pair of Lesser-spotted Eagles talon grappling in Estonia in May this year, fantastic exhibition.

nirofo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back