• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest (1 Viewer)

barryj

Hi I'm off to the New Forest (Fordingbridge) next week and was looking for any location tips for this time of year I have been twice before but both times in the summer. Any info greatly received.
Barry

sorry that no-one has replied to this post as you will probably have gone by now but here are my top sites:

Blashford Lakes - lots of ducks, including up to 35 Goosander roosting on Ibsley Water most evenings. Plus in the day Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck, Pintail. There is a Great White Egret that has been around for a few years but it has not been reported much recently. The feeders and trees around the education centre should produce Nuthatch, Treecreeper, GS Woodpecker, Siskin & Redpoll witgh patience. Linbrook Lake towards the south of the complex has a Red-crested Pochard this winter. Also go up to the bridge at Ibsley for Bewick's Swans. If they are not there go north a bit to the water meadows at Harbridge.

Blackwater Arboretum - up to 16 Hawfinch daily each afternoon plus Crossbills, Bramblings & up to 3 LS Woodpeckers.

Keyhaven Marshes - lots of waders and wildfowl at the moment including Spotted Redshanks, a wintering White-fronted Goose, 1000's of Brent Geese. Also Merlin, Peregrine, Raven & offshore look for Black-necked & Slavonian Grebes.

Holm Hill - Great Grey Shrike being seen there a lot recently but can be very elusive.

Eyeworth Pond - usually has a few Goosander during the day, but try to get there quite early as they often fly off due to disturbance.

Also there is a site in the north of the forest where up to 5 Hen Harriers roost daily. PM for more details on this place.

i think the answer for most of these sites is no as several of the new forest ones are pretty remote. However if you take the ferry to Lymington you will be right by Normandy Marsh, a great spot for birds. You can walk all the way to the bottom of the area (keyhaven) and expect to see about 70 species, then walk back up. depending on how quick you walk and how much you see it would probably take about 4 or 5 hours. The Blashford Lakes area will probably be accessible by bus. It might be worth another enquiry on hoslist, Bob Chapman (Blashford warden) will probably know.

Click here for map of Normandy & ferry

teamsaint said:
...take the ferry to Lymington you will be right by Normandy Marsh, a great spot for birds. You can walk all the way to the bottom of the area (keyhaven) and expect to see about 70 species, then walk back up. depending on how quick you walk and how much you see it would probably take about 4 or 5 hours.

I reckon 4 or 5 hours is pushing it. I'd want all day to walk Normandy to Keyhaven and back birding, mainly because there is so much to stop and watch. This is an absolutely wonderful place to bird - spent a day there in October and another day at New Year - absolutely wonderful - you can get so close to the birds as they are accustomed to people - my best views ever of several species.

Graham

teamsaint said:
sorry that no-one has replied to this post as you will probably have gone by now but here are my top sites:

Blashford Lakes - lots of ducks, including up to 35 Goosander roosting on Ibsley Water most evenings. Plus in the day Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck, Pintail. There is a Great White Egret that has been around for a few years but it has not been reported much recently. The feeders and trees around the education centre should produce Nuthatch, Treecreeper, GS Woodpecker, Siskin & Redpoll witgh patience. Linbrook Lake towards the south of the complex has a Red-crested Pochard this winter. Also go up to the bridge at Ibsley for Bewick's Swans. If they are not there go north a bit to the water meadows at Harbridge.

Blackwater Arboretum - up to 16 Hawfinch daily each afternoon plus Crossbills, Bramblings & up to 3 LS Woodpeckers.

Keyhaven Marshes - lots of waders and wildfowl at the moment including Spotted Redshanks, a wintering White-fronted Goose, 1000's of Brent Geese. Also Merlin, Peregrine, Raven & offshore look for Black-necked & Slavonian Grebes.

Holm Hill - Great Grey Shrike being seen there a lot recently but can be very elusive.

Eyeworth Pond - usually has a few Goosander during the day, but try to get there quite early as they often fly off due to disturbance.

Also there is a site in the north of the forest where up to 5 Hen Harriers roost daily. PM for more details on this place.

Thanks for the info.
I had such a great time I'm sure I will be back soon so it will prove usefull.
Eyeworth pond was good with 2 Goosander, Marsh Tit and many Mandarin.
We saw 2 Raven at Boulderwood and 3 LS Woodpeckers.
We were given some info about the local Hen Harrier roost and saw 3 one eve.
But the Shrike proved too elusive maybe next time.
You mention the education centre at Blashford Lakes would you have any details/directions for this.
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back