• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Haven CT USA, eagle in flight or a hawk? (1 Viewer)

Craig Houghton

Artist, Illustrator, and Beginning Birder
I was watching a red-tailed hawk circle by the waterfall at the dam by the Whitney Museum beside the cliffs of East Rock in New Haven CT when a larger bird crossed its path and flew out of my view. I assumed it was a turkey vulture. My attention turned to a nearby lbj which I photographed. I looked back up over the dam a few moments later and snapped these two pics. It was large and had a slow and sweeping wingbeat.

The tail looks awfully fanned and those tips have me all sorts of hopeful. Could this be a golden or a juvenile bald? It's probably a red-tailed in another clever disguise -- that happens to me a lot. After all, I did look away and then back.

-Craig

Attachments

• id_hope1.jpg
    id_hope1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 106
  • id_hope2.jpg
    id_hope2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 104
At first I thought a golden eagle because of the white at the rump and the golden look of the head but I'm not sure. The second picture looks like the tail has some red in it, whether or not that is a camera affect or the actual tail color I don't know. So my guess is either of the two Golden eagle or Red-tailed hawk but not Bald Eagle.

-Matt

EDIT: posting at the same time as steveo and it looks like I did see red in the tail compared to his answer

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back