• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ivory-billed Woodpecker info (1 Viewer)

I just got this interview so I believe it's hot off the press.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Evidence (allegedly)

If it needs too be moved to an existing thread please do so.
I obviously haven’t bothered actually reading the report. After seeing the ‘video clip’ and realising somebody sat on this for 2 years before releasing the news, I gave it the attention it deserves.

😂

Just an idle query: are these people having a laugh, or are they making a living out of this fraud? With the high-quality camera equipment available today there's no excuse for being unable to produce a decent-quality shot of any claimed bird and they must know it. A P1000 could do it, even if the bird is a mile away. Until then the claims must be deemed as incompetent as the photography.

Last edited:
Just an idle query: are these people are having a laugh, or are they making a living out of this fraud? With the high-quality camera equipment available today there's no excuse for being unable to produce a decent-quality shot of any claimed bird and they must know it. A P1000 could do it, even if the bird is a mile away. Until then the claims must be deemed as incompetent as the photography.
That's one of the reasons why I paused after 20 minutes and have not returned to it either.

Just an idle query: are these people are having a laugh, or are they making a living out of this fraud? With the high-quality camera equipment available today there's no excuse for being unable to produce a decent-quality shot of any claimed bird and they must know it. A P1000 could do it, even if the bird is a mile away. Until then the claims must be deemed as incompetent as the photography.
No one is making a living off of it as far as I am aware. I've watched some recently publicized video, have read what careful observers have said after seeing all of the videos/reading recent articles. None of what I've read is favorable.

I agree, the quality of the videos/photography is execrable.

Hi KC,

It's quite a long video. I had to pause it after 20 minutes and I'll watch in sections.

Here's the video URL with the timestamp of the relevant video clip (40 min 40 s):

I have difficulties even discerning a bird in the picture, but at least it's all over in about 10 seconds.

The picture quality of the "Sony video camera" he used is so poor that I wish Harrison had upgraded to Betamax before heading for the swamps ;-)

Regards,

Henning

Hi KC,

Here's the video URL with the timestamp of the relevant video clip (40 min 40 s):

I have difficulties even discerning a bird in the picture, but at least it's all over in about 10 seconds.

The picture quality of the "Sony video camera" he used is so poor that I wish Harrison had upgraded to Betamax before heading for the swamps ;-)

Regards,

Henning
Well that one line tells me I'm not going to waste any more of my time watching the rest of it. Thanks Henning!

Last edited:
Just an idle query: are these people having a laugh, or are they making a living out of this fraud? With the high-quality camera equipment available today there's no excuse for being unable to produce a decent-quality shot of any claimed bird and they must know it. A P1000 could do it, even if the bird is a mile away. Until then the claims must be deemed as incompetent as the photography.
I think these folks are being sincere for the most part. I don't think there is much money to be made in this sort of stuff, at least compared to the grifting you see with bigfoot or UFOs

There is excellent footage available from the 1930's, taken with ancient cameras.

Given the quality of modern cameras and the much smaller amount of habitat to be searched, if the IBW were still around, somebody would have come up with excellent footage already. Note that there is also a $50,000 reward and instant fame on offer.

It actually surprises me that nobody has yet come up with a deep fake, which really shouldn't be difficult to do nowadays.

These guys are garnering a degree of fame/infamy even from peddling non-evidence! Still, if it massages their egos and is harmless, we can choose to ignore them. The footage does smack of well known bigfoot 'evidence' and is - not surprisingly - of a similar quality ... just enough to get your attention but still obfuscate the issue. Consign to bin.

RB

Hi,

I think these folks are being sincere for the most part. I don't think there is much money to be made in this sort of stuff, at least compared to the grifting you see with bigfoot or UFOs

Well, here are a couple of seconds that help to explain why it's so bad:

Harrison, identifying the bird "immediately", had a camcorder "in his hand and pointed in the right direction", but he simply decided he'd prefer, instead of operating the camera, to merely gawk at the bird.

That is such an incredibly poor choice of priorities that I'm at a loss of words. He claimed to have seen an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker in 2004, he claims to have seen one in 2020, so he'll probably get around to actually attempt to take a picture at the very next opportunity. This opportunity, by my rough estimate will arise sometime around 2036, if he keeps up the pace!

Regards,

Henning

Hi,

Well, here are a couple of seconds that help to explain why it's so bad:

Harrison, identifying the bird "immediately", had a camcorder "in his hand and pointed in the right direction", but he simply decided he'd prefer, instead of operating the camera, to merely gawk at the bird.

That is such an incredibly poor choice of priorities that I'm at a loss of words. He claimed to have seen an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker in 2004, he claims to have seen one in 2020, so he'll probably get around to actually attempt to take a picture at the very next opportunity. This opportunity, by my rough estimate will arise sometime around 2036, if he keeps up the pace!

Regards,

Henning

To be fair, I think we've all been in that position at some point, trying to choose between camera, binoculars, scope, or just watch where it goes lol!

Consequently I have many pics of a blurred tail disappearing off the frame.

But, and here's the difference, they are the ones that got away, at least based on that evidence. No matter how big the prize.

Hi Peter,

To be fair, I think we've all been in that position at some point, trying to choose between camera, binoculars, scope, or just watch where it goes lol!

Absolutely, it's a routine occurrence - so how could Harrison screw it up that badly? Was it a pre-mediated choice not to go for sharp pictures, or did he just begin to ponder the question of what to do in the exact moment when that once-in-a-decade opportunity actually arose?

Regards,

Henning

Hi Peter,

Absolutely, it's a routine occurrence - so how could Harrison screw it up that badly? Was it a pre-mediated choice not to go for sharp pictures, or did he just begin to ponder the question of what to do in the exact moment when that once-in-a-decade opportunity actually arose?

Regards,

Henning
Routine, daily, we can still get it wrong, in the blink of an eye.
Camera focuses on a branch in the background etc.
I wouldn't criticise anyone for that aspect of all this.

But I wouldn't try and flog a dead horse with the blurry results either!

Available tech to assist in viewing this bird very large and loud bird include trail cameras with 4k and the haiku box among other audio recording options, but it's never caught well. I really struggle to take seriously these bigfoot-like stories in an era of such impressive and accessible tech and suspect another kind of tech - social media - is what's driving these reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back