• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Magazine: Birds Illustrated (1 Viewer)

Mine's arrived today - whoopee!

Only managed a quick scan, as we went out on a jaunt this evening (house hunting), but it looks very good. Will be having a better look while I sup my cocoa in bed.

Thank you, thank you.

:t:

Mine came too - and it is superb - what quality - I would highly recommend it to our members. Time to make it monthly!!

Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in the Netherlands....while enjoying the sight of a Pectoral Sandpiper which has decided to grace us with its presence in one of the local bulb fields which is underwater at the moment. A novel trick of the bulb farmers here as an ecologically friendly way to clear the ground of weeds etc. And of course a paradise for the waders!

Mine came as well.

Bit frightening when I find the name Bill "Lenin" Coster in it!! I used to work with him!!

The Jonsson art looks superb - I can see a purchase coming on *sigh*

Certainly worth the dosh

Mine arrived yesterday, cannot decide if I like it or hate it :h?:

Don't like the photography section at all.
Did like the St Kilda and Madagascar writings.

Any other thoughts?

Now I liked the 'all round' nature of the package.

Nit picking I know but for such a quality publication I still spotted two typos and an incorrect page numbering in my issue without really looking for any.

I certainly look forward to the next instalment.

I hhad a chance to have a look at the first issue while on the BF stand at the Bird Fair on Saturday, and i have to say this is going to be big hit, i was really taken with the photographs and the layout of the magazine, well looks like they will get a subscription from me in time for the second edition, and for those who have an interest in birding in Devon there will be a major piece on the River Exe.

Improving my photography doesn't interest me (I don't take photos!!) but then again I don't understand all the rarity reports in the other mag "Some so and so saw some obscure bird 3 weeks ago".

The bit by Neil Glenn on Cornwall was great as I'm visiting Cornwall, Somerset & Devon End Sept beg Oct principally not to bird but the bins will be round my neck!!

Dear All

We've been overwhelmed by the fantastic response to our first issue of Birds Illustrated magazine.

We thought it might be worth mentioning that the article 'Being creative with a camera' is not solely designed to help people improve their own photography but to help develop people's ability to judge photographs. However, we're very keen to encourage photographers of all experience levels to submit work. Even if you're not a professional, we'd welcome contributions to our readers gallery.

David Cromack
Editor, Birds Illustrated

I subscribed as soon as the flyer appeared in Birdwatching magazine. Well worth the very small...in my opinion!!!....subscription!!!The second issue is due out on 14th November.....just 9 days to go...whooppee!!!
I only now subscribe to Birdwatching and Birds Illustrated...used to get Birdwatch but over the past couple of years it has gone WAY downhill and is not worth the money...sorry, anyone who thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread!
So, basically, in answer to your three questions above...
any good?...yes, most definitely!
can it be improved?...not really...i would prefer more art as i'm not a photographer but it's otherwise well-balanced!
value for money?...it's a bargain at the price!!!
Actually, to me, the only way it COULD be improved is by making it monthly!!!

I'll raise to Gill's bait and defend Birdwatch which I have subscribed too from the start. I think it is aimed at a different market to Birdwatching to fill a gap between the perhaps the rather "robin strokerish" Birdwatching and the more highbrow British Birds. I might be being unfair but I think a lot of birders graduate from Birdwatching to Birdwatch once they have greater field and ID experience and are perhaps a bit beyond the ID guides etc in Birdwatching and want more of a challenge. Hope this offends no one - just MHO.

Ivan

No offence taken Ivan.......everyone likes different things....I just can't get away with Birdwatch these days...not sure exactly why??? I DO subscribe to British Birds though and absolutely love it!

Has anyone recieved a copy of the November edition of Birds Illustrated yet, if so what are your thoughts, mine not arrived as yet !!!

pduxon,

I would drop them an email, and Hilary will respond very quickly. The second edition is brilliant it is a must have magazine esp the article on the Exe birds which is my patch. Well done to all the team.

The third issue of Birds illustrated is now available (published on February 16) and we have been delighted at the reaction of our growing subscriber base. For those UK-based members of Birdforum who have not yet had the chance to see this subscription-only quarterly magazine, we are prepared to send out a free copy on receipt of a £1 coin to cover the postage costs as we feel the quality of the magazine can only be appreciated in the hand.
If you'd like to take advantage of this offer, please send your details to: BI Offer, Buckingham Press, 55 Thorpe Park Road, Peterborough PE3 6LJ.
Overseas members of Birdforum should e-mail us for details of the postage costs to their country.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back