• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

Hi and hello to all Birdforum Members,
I have returned to birding after a gap of twelve years. I am retired and live in London and have recently joined The Wildfowl and Wetland Trust. Their nearest site is in Barnes which is quite easy for me to visit.
I am hoping to buy a top end scope in the next few months. I am considering either the Leica Apo 82, the new Zeiss Diascope 85, or the Swarovski ATM 80. I would welcome any comments or views about the relative merits of any of them - Also Straight or Angled?
Looking forward to hearing your comments.
Thank You Vivian

Last edited:
Hi Vivian and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to your contributions.

D

Hey Vivian

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Equipment and birds

As a birder said to me recently when I asked his advise on choosing a new scope, 'I don't do equipment, I only do birds.'
Well I think that I detect in these pages an underground subculture of people whose first love is not to birds at all.
Their shameful vice, their secret love, of which they dare not speak it's name, is the lust to possess expensive optics.
Yes I admit 'I don't do birds, I only do equipment.' The birds are secondary; it is the fascination of optics, and birders opinions and comments on bins and scopes that consume me.
Not Arctic or Yellow Browed Warblers, but Leica and Zeiss and Swaros fill my waking moments and dreams.
There, I feel better after that embarrassing confession. I'd recommend that anyone with a similar addiction come out of the hide immediately and get it off their chests. You know it makes sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back