• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW nikon monarch 7 (1 Viewer)

Nikon never "launches" anything. They bring it in or take it out piecemeal.

Bob

Certain stores apparently get advanced orders... sneak previews, if you will. Creates some buzz for the official "grand opening".

The official date listed for the launch of the Nikon 8x32 SE was 1998 yet Henry bought his in 1997. Nikon has a tradition of sneak previews. Whets the appetite, provided the first reviews are good, and so far, they seem to be.

<B>

Nikon never "launches" anything. They bring it in or take it out piecemeal.

Right. This isn't an Apple product with a carefully orchestrated release; I think Mike was suggesting that the Nikon USA website would "launch" the Monarch 7 on 7/7. Volume dealers like Cabela's can negotiate early shipments.

I'm looking forward to seeing one in any case.

David

Right. This isn't an Apple product with a carefully orchestrated release; I think Mike was suggesting that the Nikon USA website would "launch" the Monarch 7 on 7/7. Volume dealers like Cabela's can negotiate early shipments.

I'm looking forward to seeing one in any case.

David

Me too!

I may even consider buying an 8 x 42 if it comes close to the view I get from my 8 x 32 LX L. I don't have what I consider to be a really good 8 x 42. It would be nice to have one with that exit pupil.

Bob

...It seems to me that if Nikon were really interested in innovation and leadership we would not have seen the X. We would have seen the 7 several years ago, and not all the other Monarch shuffle stuff we have seen.....

Nikon is a traditional Japanese manufacturer where many new models only show small incremental improvements over older versions and the Monarch line reflects that tradition. And despite what some would like to believe, SIGNIFICANT improvements in optics historically only come around ~10yrs anyway.

Where Nikon, as well as most Japanese consumer goods manufacturers, have fallen in recent times is a failure to see or fully embrace market disruptive ideas and pricing. Apple is just the most visible example of the myriad of companies putting the slap down on the Japanese consumer companies.

Finally, Nikon's Sports Optics division mostly likely only sees a small portion of the companies R&D resources. If you saw what passes for the division HQ in Tokyo you would think it looks more like Geppetto's workshop!

I'll be interested in comparing these, in detail, to the Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD, which (as far as I know) has until now not had a competitor with comparable spec (for FOV, fully modern roof-prism coatings, weight, length). Apart from gross quality control issues with individual units, I've found the Bushnell extremely good (so good that, had it existed in 1990, I might have been satisfied enough never to have started down the better view desired inspired path to binocular obsession and collecting), plus it has very close focus (not sure about the Nikon) and rainguard coatings. The Bushnell sells for about $215 these days, so I'll be interested in what the Nikon model can do better for over twice that price. I'm also interested in what is left for the EDG and other top-end bins to achieve if the Nikon is substantially better than the Bushnell, because in many respects (CA, performance against the light, FOV, weight) I find the Bushnell as good or better than anything available in a roof at any price.

--AP

Marketing update:

I received an e-mail yesterday from Nikon, Inc. with the subject of:

"Get Ready To Experience The Greatest Monarch Ever!"

The only message it contained was the following picture ....... looks like the Monarch 7 is possessed!

Attachments

• Nikon Monarch Tease.jpg
    Nikon Monarch Tease.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 180
Marketing update:

I received an e-mail yesterday from Nikon, Inc. with the subject of:

"Get Ready To Experience The Greatest Monarch Ever!"

The only message it contained was the following picture ....... looks like the Monarch 7 is possessed!

OMG! It must have over 100% light transmission because it's sucking the photos out of his eyes (seen here in wave form for illustrative purposes). I was worried about this happening with the Docter 8x56 Nobilem, but now the Nikon Monarch 7 might be equally hazardous. If that's true, the new HT will probably suck out your entire eyeball. Beware!

<B>

Last edited:
This is one very interesting binocular, especially as it will have anti-scratch coatings which my EDG lacks. In The Netherlands the advertised selling price is € 449 for the 8x42 and more than € 600 for the 10x42. In USD this at leat 550, but they are not in stock yet. Whenever someone is able to compare this one to either the more expensive competition but also to the Bushnel Ultra HD's I hope I will read their experiences.

This is one very interesting binocular, especially as it will have anti-scratch coatings which my EDG lacks. In The Netherlands the advertised selling price is € 449 for the 8x42 and more than € 600 for the 10x42. In USD this at leat 550, but they are not in stock yet. Whenever someone is able to compare this one to either the more expensive competition but also to the Bushnel Ultra HD's I hope I will read their experiences.

A couple weeks ago, I did compare the Monarch 7 8x42 to a Bushnell Legend HD 8x42 at a Cabelas in Rapid City, SD. The Monarch provided the same resolution within the middle field of view which is impressive since the Lengends have excellent resolution within the same area. The Monarch 7 provided better resolution away from the middle. The fit and feel of the Monarch was very impressive and the focus wheel was perfect. The presentation for me (I wear glasses) was like looking out of a picture window which also makes these binoculars impressive.

Also, I visited Cabelas later and had my Sightron Sii 8x32 with me so I took them in. I did a side by side with the Monarch 7. While Monarch provided a more relaxed view, the Sightron actually did noticeably better on a resolution chart. I was a bit suprised since I wasnt expecting this. I also compared the Sightrons to a Swarovski Companion. They were about the same.

Bottom line regarding the Monarch 7. Its an impressive binocular. Image, balance and overall quality is quite impressive. Its the first Monarch I would be happy to own.

A couple weeks ago, I did compare the Monarch 7 8x42 to a Bushnell Legend HD 8x42 at a Cabelas in Rapid City, SD. The Monarch provided the same resolution within the middle field of view which is impressive since the Lengends have excellent resolution within the same area. The Monarch 7 provided better resolution away from the middle. The fit and feel of the Monarch was very impressive and the focus wheel was perfect. The presentation for me (I wear glasses) was like looking out of a picture window which also makes these binoculars impressive.

Also, I visited Cabelas later and had my Sightron Sii 8x32 with me so I took them in. I did a side by side with the Monarch 7. While Monarch provided a more relaxed view, the Sightron actually did noticeably better on a resolution chart. I was a bit suprised since I wasnt expecting this. I also compared the Sightrons to a Swarovski Companion. They were about the same.

Bottom line regarding the Monarch 7. Its an impressive binocular. Image, balance and overall quality is quite impressive. Its the first Monarch I would be happy to own.

A few days ago I visited Cabelas for the first time as they don't have any stores in California. Having recently relocated to Dallas, I visited the one in Fort Worth - see my post below.

I like the Monarch 7 a lot, and felt that it was perfectly sized, shaped and balanced for my small hands. Focus was smooth with no backlash, and the diopter adjustment was sufficiently tighter, but still smooth.

Unlike you though, I felt that the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD was a bit brighter, sharper and had slightly better resolution, but a narrower FOV. Other samples might produce a different outcome, as in your case above. The bottom line though is that both binos offer impressive value for the money.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234571

A few days ago I visited Cabelas for the first time as they don't have any stores in California. Having recently relocated to Dallas, I visited the one in Fort Worth - see my post below.

I like the Monarch 7 a lot, and felt that it was perfectly sized, shaped and balanced for my small hands. Focus was smooth with no backlash, and the diopter adjustment was sufficiently tighter, but still smooth.

Unlike you though, I felt that the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD was a bit brighter, sharper and had slightly better resolution, but a narrower FOV. Other samples might produce a different outcome, as in your case above. The bottom line though is that both binos offer impressive value for the money.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234571

Sample variation, not a good thing. However, we need a larger sample group to see if this is isolated or widespread. Or if the variation is perceptual differences in the observers' eyes/brains rather than the bins. I know you have good eyes because of your profession, however, color balance can affect one's perception of "brightness" and "sharpness".

The Monarch 7 should be in more stores soon so we'll see if there's consistency or if we're going to see more variations. Hope not.

<B>

From the page David linked to:

"The sophisticated coating Nikon applies to MONARCH 7 goes far beyond conventional coatings. Dielectric Multilayer Prism Coatings, which provide an even, higher light transmittance across the entire visible light spectrum, are applied to all of the lens and prism surfaces that transmit light."​

The copywriter is right about one thing: dielectric coatings on all transmitting surfaces are definitely unconventional!

Nikon Monarch 7 VS the Bushnell Elite ED

You would think someone on the engineering side would have to review and sign off on the marketing material before it was published, then again, maybe not. Hopefully Mike F will see this and get it fixed.

There has been some discussion on this thread and I think some other threads comparing the new Monarch 7 to the Bushnell Legend HD. I suggest another good comparision would be to the Bushnell Elite ED. The Elite ED is higher in the Bushnell chain than the Legend HD, yet it is still less expensive than the new Nikon Monarch 7. The Monarch 7 does beat the Elite ED in field of view, at least on paper, but that may not be true out in the field. I have used the Elite ED and it offers an excellent view.

7/7/12: now live on the US website.

http://www.nikonbirding.com/products/binoculars/monarch-7[/QUOTE

OK! When are they going to come out with an 8 x 32 Monarch 7? Here it is almost 24 hours after they officially announced their 8 x 42s and 10 x 42s.

Where are the 32s? :C

What are they waiting for?:C The Euros are always ahead of them!

It won't be long now until China passes them by, you can bet on it!

Can't Nikon get ANYTHING right?:-O:-O:-O

That was quite a gaff, makes me wonder if Nikon outsources its Website building and maintenance to an ad agency. A Nikon PR person would have to know that dielectric coatings are only applied to roof prisms.

As far as Bob's comment, there never was an 8x32 Monarch, only 8x36. I'm fine with that configuration. 4-6mm more aperture, larger exit pupil, and more 'real estate'. Of course, it would have to be better quality than their current 8x36 Monarchs if they make a "7" version.

The Euros aren't ahead of Nikon in the mid-tier segment. Nikon has had the 8x32 and, until recently, the 10x32 HG for over a decade, as you know, and maybe that was your point.

There are no Conquest 8x/10x32 HDs or Trinovid 8x/10x32 HD. Only Swaro came out with mid-tier 8x30/10x30 CLs and Meopta has the 8x32 Meostar.

I'd like to see the 8x36 and 10x36 replace the 8x32/10x32 configurations as standards. Yeah, they aren't as small, but if you want a compact bin, buy a compact.

They are still smaller and lighter than 8x42s, and most importantly, the 10x version would be more functional with a 3.6 mm exit pupil.

<B>

You would think someone on the engineering side would have to review and sign off on the marketing material before it was published, then again, maybe not. Hopefully Mike F will see this and get it fixed.

There has been some discussion on this thread and I think some other threads comparing the new Monarch 7 to the Bushnell Legend HD. I suggest another good comparision would be to the Bushnell Elite ED. The Elite ED is higher in the Bushnell chain than the Legend HD, yet it is still less expensive than the new Nikon Monarch 7. The Monarch 7 does beat the Elite ED in field of view, at least on paper, but that may not be true out in the field. I have used the Elite ED and it offers an excellent view.

A comparison of the Monarch 7 with the new Zen Ray Prime H D would also be of interest, at least to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back