• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New suet block feeder (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
Last year we used a special feeder for offering mealworms to small birds such as tits and robins. A couple of days ago, I suddenly thought of using it for a home made suet block for them, so having found a suitable container to use as a mould, I headed for the kitchen. I put the feeder up about 24 hours ago, and I am wondering how long it will be before it is used. The birds are used to finding a peanut feeder here, so I'm hoping they will start to use it fairly soon.

Attachments

• New fat feeder 008.jpg
    New fat feeder 008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 216
Elizabeth, I don't think it's going to take them too long to find it. I should start putting suet out now too that it's cooler outside. Hopefully the grackles and starlings will be leaving soon. Otherwise, they'll just raid it. :(

Tammie said:
Elizabeth, I don't think it's going to take them too long to find it. I should start putting suet out now too that it's cooler outside. Hopefully the grackles and starlings will be leaving soon. Otherwise, they'll just raid it. :(

I've been out all afternoon, so I have not been able to keep on eye on it - but judging by past events, I would agree with you. The feeder is supposed to keep starlings out, but if they manage to squeeze in, I'll have to try some modifications. I'm not prepared to make a new block every day!

Elizabeth

I put one up something similar in my garden - although I am hanging it in a well established bush. I had no takers for a week and then I started to see chunks being pulled out of it. Today I was working from home and caught a robin pecking into it - so I guess he's the main protagonist.

I tried making my own fat balls the other day, being a bit lazy I just poured the beef dripping mixture into a cut down bottle full of peanuts and seed etc, it keeps the mixture together, but Ive also had no takers...

Even to the point Ive re-hung some bought balls and the sparrows flock to that, but leave my home made effort alone ?? There is no pleasing some :C

Stuart

Stuart said:
I tried making my own fat balls the other day, being a bit lazy I just poured the beef dripping mixture into a cut down bottle full of peanuts and seed etc, it keeps the mixture together, but Ive also had no takers...

Even to the point Ive re-hung some bought balls and the sparrows flock to that, but leave my home made effort alone ?? There is no pleasing some :C

Stuart

Perhaps they don't like your cooking??? ;) ;)

Seriously though, did you mix up the ingredients thoroughly, and how do you offer the mixture - can the birds easily get to it? Do the bought balls contain suet - maybe the birds prefer this.

Well, Im no chef, but I mashed up some peanuts, added a few raisins and seed...I did use beef dripping, but have heard other people mention using that before?? I made em quite big, cuz the sparrows normally get through the shop bought ones very quickly.Ive hung it in green mesh feeder bag, which the seeds I put into the mix, I had a quick check after a couple of days with no birds eatting of it, and found it was a bit hard, so gave it a wack with a brick to mash it up a bit, but still the sparrows perfer bought balls or the peanut feeder to my homemade efforts :h?:

Stuart

Stuart, try putting out JUST the one you made without the store bought ones. I'd bet they'd go to it if there was nothing else and then they'd realize they like it!

Success!

At last - a bluetit has been in a couple of times this morning. I think it's still a bit wary, as it didn't stay inside for long - but I reckon that it will soon gain confidence. It's so tiny that it can get out at any point - it doesn't need to use the special holes.

Stuart, I've had the same response to my homemade dripping/packet suet mix. Our local butcher doesn't keep 'proper' suet anymore, which is what I used to use. I believe suet is the fat from around the kidneys, and dripping is the result of rendering during roasting, though both from beef. Maybe the birds really can tell the difference!
Mary

Ive had a starling on it briefly, but the normal greedy sparrows dont touch it, I left my homemade jobs out, but the sparrows wont touch it, so put out the bought ones, which they then feed off, guess they have taste... maybe I should try suet rather than beef dripping ??

Stuart

My suet ones used to vanish in 2 or 3 days, but the garden has been much quieter recently and they last much longer at the moment. The first feeder I installed was very popular for a few months, so I'm sure they'll be back before too long. The new one is not attracting the expected hordes I had foreseen, though it does get visited most days. - but I'd be very surprised if it stays that way as the supply of natural food is exhausted.

It could be worth trying suet - I used dripping once, but the smell as it dissolved was not very pleasant, so I haven't used it again.

Stuart said:
Any ideas on the best place to pick up suet, havent seen it at Asda ??

Stuart

I'm very surprised about this. It is no longer available at my local butcher (he says it is all removed before he gets the carcasses, presumably to be sold to a company which sells it nicely shredded in neat little packets). In Sainsbury's and Waitrose, it is not kept where the fats and butters are kept, possibly because it does not need refrigeration. There it is to be found near where flour and baking ingredients are displayed. In fact I only know of one brand, and that is Atora.

When I was a child you could buy it in a lump from the butcher, and unless you chopped it finely for suet crust pastry, you would get rather lumpy pastry. Have another look in Asda next time you are there - I'd be very surprised if they don't sell it. BTW - there is also something sold as vegetable suet (for vegetarians) but I would not use this, as I have been told that the birds really need animal fat.

Stuart said:
Any ideas on the best place to pick up suet, havent seen it at Asda ??

Stuart

I also searched all over for suet, until EB suggested Atora, which I managed to get from our local Asda, so they do stock it. I haven't used it yet though, as the bought fat balls seem to be lasting well.

I've decided to make my own suet blocks this year. I've not had much luck making them b4 can any one offer a good recipe for them? (I somehow make them too soggy!! |:$| )

AcidEric said:
I've decided to make my own suet blocks this year. I've not had much luck making them b4 can any one offer a good recipe for them? (I somehow make them too soggy!! |:$| )

To make two blocks, I use a 250gm packet of suet, and add 375gm of some or all of the following: porridge oats, sunflower hearts, finely chopped peanuts, mixed seeds, and raisins and/or sultanas (previously soaked in boiling water to plump them up). I can't understand why yours have been soggy - on one occasion I went to look at BF after I had made the mixture, and when I went back to the kitchen, it was absolutely solid in the pan. I had to warm it again in order to put it into the moulds.

Sometimes the mixture still looks a bit liquid (possibly if I have used fewer oats, and more seeds) - so then I add more oats to soak up the fat.

Thanks for the tips folks, I will try and keep outta the beer section long enuff to look in the right place B :)

Stuart

thanks EB
last time i hadn't used suet just dripping & lard, it came out as a slowly running lump that you could mould but never set and left a horrible smelly mess on my window sill.

Yup, i was looking in the wrong place.... was in morrisons yesterday and found it next to the flour etc, attora for 99p and their own brand for 79p a pack!!

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back