• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time to replace food? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, we just had a brief but heavy squall with thunder and lightning mixed in here in SE London. We just put out more bird food ( only 2 or so hours ago) and the food we put out was 3 suet balls, refilled peanut feeder and thats it. One of the feeders we have is a feeder that has trays in it, which I'm going to replace the food in. Should I remove all of the food and give the feeders a clean? I think this is the thing to do but I would like some advice please.

Many thanks,
Ev

i would clean the feeders, i always clean my feeders before a top up

i wouldnt eat from a dirty place why would the birds

good question though

I fill the suet ball and sunflower feeders weekly and clean when I fill, the peanut feeders last around two weeks - they get cleaned before refilling too, sometimes there's 1/2" to 1" of peanuts left after 2 weeks - these I chuck.

I read the thread title and immediately thought, what with? Air and sunshine? Positive thinking? - but then saw the subforum and got the context. ;-)

Cleaning - don't use bleach. Hot soapy water and/or an animal friendly disinfectant spray?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back