• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new swaro owner (1 Viewer)

gandytron

Hi All

I recently purchased a secondhand Swaro 65HD (angled) and have a couple of questions:

1) which stay-on-case people recommend - the Swaro original seems very expensive, but there are the Kite and the Ace alternatives which are cheaper.

2) I have a Manfrotto 128RC2 Head on my tripod - can I safely use the scope on this without a quick release plate? It seems to fit very snuggly back and front, but there is space either side (but no movement that I can discern) and I don't want to have an accident!

Thanks

Dave

2) I have a Manfrotto 128RC2 Head on my tripod - can I safely use the scope on this without a quick release plate? It seems to fit very snuggly back and front, but there is space either side (but no movement that I can discern) and I don't want to have an accident!

Dave, I don't think it is safe not to use the quick release plate of this head. I've been using it for my Nikon ED78 scope for many years and never once attached the scope without the release plate. The catch secures the quick release plate very well. The only time I had problems was when I over-tightened the lever, causing it to later unlatch itself and send me scope bouncing down upon the ground (fortunately on grass and without any damage at all).

By the way, nice catch of mammals from Khao Yai on your blog!

Hi All

I recently purchased a secondhand Swaro 65HD (angled) and have a couple of questions:

1) which stay-on-case people recommend - the Swaro original seems very expensive, but there are the Kite and the Ace alternatives which are cheaper.

Thanks

Dave

No problem using the tripod head without the QR plate. The foot of the scope is supposed to fit in the 128 head without the QR plate.

I also thought that there was too much space to the sides, but if it's like my 128rc then there is a little knuckle on either side towards the front that prevent sideways movement (mine allows a couple of mm).

..and use the safety catch, religiously.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back