• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL 10x42 v. NL Pure 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Last week, after extensive research, I acquired a brand new pair of EL 10x42 (3rd Generation) for a good discount. I looked closely at the NL Pure 10x42 as well. However, the main advantage of the NL seems to be a wider FOV, which just didn't justify the $1,000+ price premium.

In my experience, you can often save a lot by seeking deals on last year's best model. It does seem to be true that sellers are discounting new EL binoculars due to the recent release of the NL Pure. I've always liked the ergonomics and aesthetics of the bridge design as well.

I've been a birder for many decades, and have heretofore always been a Zeiss guy. But I've secretly coveted Swarovskis for years and finally decided to pull the trigger on a pair. I doubt I'll be disappointed in my choice of the EL 10x42.

Yes FoV is and ergonomics are probably going to be the most noticeable differences. The NLs supposedly have a slightly less flatfield to reduce 'rolling-ball' but it's not something that bothers me. The NLs may have a tiny advantage in terms of resolution, but unless you prefer looking at magnified test charts through a camera, to birds, you're not going to see it in normal use. The 10x42 SLCs are excellent binoculars too.

I recently purchased a brand new set of EL's in 8.5x42 and I'm thoroughly enjoying them! I chose Swaro based on reputation, value, and history of good customer service. I didn't even try the other big names (Zeiss, Leica). Some would say that's a travesty but...I gotta foot the bill :LOL:. I looked through some NL's in the store and while I could definitely see the wider FOV and really loved the ergonomics, I had to draw a line somewhere! I couldn't justify an extra $1,000 for those points alone.

Maybe one day in the future (win the lottery/long lost rich uncle dies) I will get some Zeiss or Leica's to really compare but for now I'm loving my EL's. Best scenario would be to meet another person who has some other Alpha's to compare without having to buy but alas...I haven't met them yet!

If someone wants to go further down from the EL range, I believe Habicht 10x40 is also a good option. Of course, it lacks the flat field of EL. Other than that the only gripe it has compared to my NL 8x42 is some reflection issues that occur under the dense forest canopy. In open areas, it performs very well. Other than that I don't miss the ergonomics and updated design however, it is more balanced in my hands compared to the NL. Honestly, I believe the Habichts are underrated. I am sorry for going off-topic but just thought to add my 2 cents for someone's benefit.

That is not necessary, the EL 8.5x42 is still one of the best all-round binoculars on the market.
Don't worry about other (better?) binoculars, you're already at the top.;)

Andreas
Ahh thank you thank you! I needed that. I have a tendency to always second guess big purchases. Not regret but more like...I hope I got the right thing!

I definitely stand by the fact that these binoculars are fantastic and I can absolutely tell the quality of the view. I get a lot of joy from using them and watching backyard birds. And I've even made a few trips to a local nature preserve to observe! It's been great having them.

Ahh thank you thank you! I needed that. I have a tendency to always second guess big purchases. Not regret but more like...I hope I got the right thing!

I definitely stand by the fact that these binoculars are fantastic and I can absolutely tell the quality of the view. I get a lot of joy from using them and watching backyard birds. And I've even made a few trips to a local nature preserve to observe! It's been great having them.
Surely that is all the justification you need for your purchase? Continue to get pleasure from using your binocular, it is a window on a whole new world. Don't fall into the trap of comparing other brands, they aren't likely to be better, just different. Enjoy!

RB

If you ever feel like you need better than the 8.5x ELs, just get a tripod and mount for them…. the view through them on a tripod is really something!

If you ever feel like you need better than the 8.5x ELs, just get a tripod and mount for them…. the view through them on a tripod is really something!
I have definitely considered this! I want a nice tripod for sure (not like professional grade).

Should I get one with a ball head or like a more traditional type?

Last week, after extensive research, I acquired a brand new pair of EL 10x42 (3rd Generation) for a good discount. I looked closely at the NL Pure 10x42 as well. However, the main advantage of the NL seems to be a wider FOV, which just didn't justify the $1,000+ price premium.

In my experience, you can often save a lot by seeking deals on last year's best model. It does seem to be true that sellers are discounting new EL binoculars due to the recent release of the NL Pure. I've always liked the ergonomics and aesthetics of the bridge design as well.

I've been a birder for many decades, and have heretofore always been a Zeiss guy. But I've secretly coveted Swarovskis for years and finally decided to pull the trigger on a pair. I doubt I'll be disappointed in my choice of the EL 10x42.
agree the EL10x42 is an excellent choice, and no, chances of disappointment are close to nil in my opinion. I certainly enjoy my set

I have definitely considered this! I want a nice tripod for sure (not like professional grade).

Should I get one with a ball head or like a more traditional type?
Video heads allow easier panning, ball heads tend to be more compact for carrying - both work perfectly well. Personally I don't pan that much with binoculars - it tends to be fairly small movements around an area (I locate off tripod first). Really comes down to personal preference.

Yesterday I went to a local binoculars dealer and I've compared all NL''s (and some others binos) with my 2 gen 10x42 EL Swarovision (pre Fieldpro Edition), and I have found no improvings in central sharpness (the NL 10x42 was really a little bit less sharp than my EL). The only one pair of binoculars that was as sharp as mine in centre of the FOV was a FieldPro EL 10x42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back