• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski product announcement in January 2024...? (1 Viewer)

4.8 rating and 308 reviews…. No hold on, click the link… can’t find the page. Seems Google can see into the future.

Peter

Interesting that they would make a smart binocular, when the DG monocular version wasn't a great seller ...

Cheers
Tim

One of the most requested bits of kit we get asked about by "muggles" are binoculars that take pictures. They might not like Swarovski prices though!

“Learn more”….. page not found!! ;-) whoops Merlin, let the cat out the bag! Wonder what mag they’re using and wonder how the AR will function in the real world?! Sad they’re not going to improve the ATX eyepieces…

Peter
The ATX STX is over 10 years old now so I imagine it's only a matter of time before a new version is released

Cheers
Tim

“Learn more”….. page not found!! ;-) whoops Merlin, let the cat out the bag! Wonder what mag they’re using and wonder how the AR will function in the real world?! Sad they’re not going to improve the ATX eyepieces…

Peter
Hi Peter can i ask what you mean about the ATX eyepiece please? I have sent mine back to Swarovski but it has come back the same, I am sure when on high mag the center of the image is slightly blurred

The apparent field of view for the ATX seems to be 57-72degree, when others provide wider and constant field widths, be nice to have a wider view sometime. Maybe I am just spoilt coming from an Astro background.

Peter

The ATX STX is over 10 years old now so I imagine it's only a matter of time before a new version is released
But what would be a feasible improvement? The latest trend seems to be a minor facelift to justify a hefty price increase. Optically there is not much room for improvement.
The apparent field of view for the ATX seems to be 57-72degree, when others provide wider and constant field widths, be nice to have a wider view sometime. Maybe I am just spoilt coming from an Astro background.
Which products could those be? The Leica zoom seems to be well liked among the hobby astronomers but it's only a 2x zoom and some reports of its AFoV are wildly exaggerated. Some of the fixed wide angle astro eyepieces have limited eye relief and the dimensions of hand grenades!

John

I added the “featherlight” comment as it was commonly stamped on wide angled porros in decades gone by, when the bino was not especially light!.
The zeiss Harpia has a constant wide angle, but it does odd stuff at low powers. I quite like the 76degree Baader Morpheus, good eye relief and not too massive.

Peter

Swarovski AX Visio - classical bino with AR functionality and camera. Would be curuious to hear your thoughts about it..

Swarovski AX Visio - classical bino with AR functionality and camera. Would be curuious to hear your thoughts about it..

While chatting with a UK retailer recently, they mentioned that the Swaro rep had indicated that a new product was due to be announced in January 2024. I believe the 8th January was mentioned, but may be wrong. No indication from the rep of what it might be (secret's safe), or in what category of product. It could, therefore, be nothing more than a new design of t-shirt for their 'Gear' range, but could equally be something rather more exciting. Or...nothing at all.

Thermal imaging appears to be all the trend at the moment, and Swaro may wish to offer a product to take on the Zeiss SFL's (just dreaming).

Have any BF members heard anything along the grapevine? Or maybe I've missed something...🤔
Ace Optics customers here in the UK have probably received an email this morning inviting them to visit the shop (which is in Bath) for the opportunity to 'test drive' this new product. There is also the offer from them to present an online webinar demonstrating the product.

I've just double checked and they do have a demo copy in store. In addition, one of their team attended the three day training seminar for the product in Absam, so they are fully set up for anyone wishing to visit and try out this new product.

Go try!!!

Is it just me, or are the AX Visio 10x32 simply horrible?

Firstly, they are very heavy and bulbous looking for a 32mm objective lens (like holding two hand grenades!).

... and isn't the fun of birdwatching ID? Do most competent birder's really want a binocular that does the ID for them? I actually like doing my homework before foreign trips, even when on an organised tour - my mantra has always tried to be , if I can't say why it is such and such, then I shouldn't be ticking it (even if the guide says it is one) - OK there may be some ticks on my list, where for tricky ID I respect the experience and knowledge of experts.

I say do the ID, but it will be interesting to see just how accurate the system is - will it tell Marsh, Blyth's and Eurasian Reed Warbler apart or say American Herring Gull from European? A lot of complicated ID takes hours or observation and often other clues - audio, or even now DNA (with for example Stejneger's Stonechat) - surely the really tough nuts will be beyond what the system can cope with. The advertising blurb says 9000 species, but I wonder whether this is pristine breeding plumage males, or all the options for age, sex, wear and moult?

Without trying to sound patronizing, I suspect the target audience will be people new to bird watching who need more help and guidance - but I for one would prefer to reach out to the local bird-watching community, and share the company of a more experienced local.

I wonder how long it will be before BBRC get a submission that simple says 'my AX Visio's told me it was'. I can see a another 'it must be one as Merlin Identified it' parallel in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or are the AX Visio 10x32 simply horrible?

Firstly, they are very heavy and bulbous looking for a 32mm objective lens (like holding two hand grenades!).

... and isn't the fun of birdwatching ID? Do most competent birder's really want a binocular that does the ID for them? I actually doing my homework before foreign trips, even when on an organised tour - my mantra has always tried to be , if I can't say why it is such and such, then I shouldn't be ticking it (even if the guide says it is one) - OK there may be some ticks on my list, where for tricky ID I respect the experience and knowledge of experts.

I say do the ID, but it will be interesting to see just how accurate the system is - will it tell Marsh, Blyth's and Eurasian Reed Warbler apart or say American Herring Gull from European? A lot of complicated ID takes hours or observation and often other clues - audio, or even now DNA (with for example Stejneger's Stonechat) - surely the really tough nuts will be beyond what the system can cope with. The advertising blurb says 9000 species, but I wonder whether this is pristine breeding plumage males, or all the options for age, sex, wear and moult?

Without trying to sound patronizing, I suspect the target audience will be people new to bird watching who need more help and guidance - but I for one would prefer to reach out to the local bird-watching community, and share the company of a more experienced local.

I wonder how long it will be before BBRC get a submission that simple says 'my AX Visio's told me it was'. I can see a another 'it must be one as Merlin Identified it' parallel in the pipeline.
^^ 100% this.

Not to mention the obvious applications that such AI technology could have in replacing skilled ecologists in the field who've spent decades observing and carefully cultivating knowledge and have accumulated significant debt through education.
I don't buy into alarmist conspiracy theories, but I can see a very real possibility of this kind of technology completely destroying the requirement (and skills) of employed fieldworkers. Awful.

That would be wonderful, because it would also force Zeiss and Leica to get involved.
Nikon already has the stabilized 10x25, so they are ahead of the curve, although that glass is not waterproof and has some quirks that take getting used to.
Well the cat is presumably out the bag with the AX Visio 10x32.

With regard to IS, I had wondered whether any of the top brands will ever make IS bins, but the launch of the AX Visio has got me rethinking.

My logic has always been that top grade binoculars are beautifully crafted and engineered and that IS is quite a big add on. Assuming that adding IS to bins requires some give, what would you compromise to gain IS - FoV, weight, image quality, or even just ergonomics and how they fit your hand?

I have a pair or higher powered IS binoculars, but for me these are on occasional pair for certain conditions and habitats. For occasional use, I am happy with the performance of the current offering (I have the Kite 16 x 42). Would I spend top dollar on a secondary set of bins for occasional use - probably not.

Before today, I would have said that all the top brands have probably done their market research, know their current offering will be the main sellers, and realize that a line of IS bins that are a compromise in some way, will have more limited sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back