• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New To BirdForm, New To Birds (1 Viewer)

JohnInWisconsin

Hello, I am a total newbie here. A few years ago the wife and I purchased a 2.5 acre parcel of property in a semi rural area, half of which was covered in brush (mostly invasive species). I have since cleared the brush and planted desirable trees and grass, in hopes of creating a natural and scenic retreat for our retirement years.

The wife found a decorative bird house at a craft fair that she said would like nice in the stand of Aspen trees. This is our very first bird house! A very small bird has taken up residence there, which I am very excited about. I believe the bird is a House Wren (see attached pics).

I would like put up more bird houses, and hopefully attract a Bluebird or two. I read the the House Wren may not take kindly to having close by neighbors. Any advice on how far to keep the bird houses apart?

Attachments

• HouseWren.jpg
    HouseWren.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 50
  • HouseWren2.jpg
    HouseWren2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 54
Hi John and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Well it's a wren, but you have so many over there, I'm afraid I couldn't go further than that. Hopefully someone from your area will be along soon to help. It's always exciting when a plan works and a bird takes up residence.

It might be an idea to ask your questions in the Nestboxes forum.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I'm more inclined think of it being a Bewick's Wren with that prominent white eyebrow Stripe.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach :t:

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with KC, and for the reason she stated. Think you have a Bewick's Wren.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

I understand I'm way late for this, but this is actually a House Wren. The others are correct with there being a light eye stripe, i just couldn't hold back from correcting it. The pattern on the wing and the belly being brown, not gray, is more house/pacific wren. Mentioning the pacific wren, it'd be much darker and likely not that area that time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back