• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (3 Viewers)

Early shipping? That’s great. I think we all look forward to some initial impressions. What do you have to compare it with?

What’s your thoughts on the NL, sf 32s?
Both are excellent but I never fell in love with the Zeiss like I did with the Leica 8x32 BA 20 or 25 years ago.
But when I tried the NL Pure 8x42, I was very impressed so I kept them. And later bought the 8x32 as I prefer this size when hiking.
I find the NL Pure slightly more transparent but optically, it is a matter of preference. But I'm much more comfortable with their handling. Zeiss focuser is better though, probably the best I used amongst the 3 alpha german/austrian manufacturers.

I should sell the SF 8x32 and NL Pure 8x42 but I'm lazy.

If the 8x40 SFL are "good enough", they may end up being my only binoculars and the 32mm/42mm range. We'll see.

They arrived a few hours ago.
I had no time to test them properly but here are my first impressions after a half an hour of use:

They inspire confidence, build quality is very good, the pouch is just the right size (I won't use it but it is not ridiculous like others) and the rainguard and covers seem well designed, especially compared to the SF 8x32 and the covers of the NL Pure.

The focuser it slightly too stiff but there is a chance this will improved. Hinge is really too stiff too and this more of an issue. I'll ask my reseller.

The handling is ok but because I have relatively small hands, the barrel diameter is less confortable than the SF 8x32 and there is no comparison with both the NL Pure. But I can leave with it.

Optically, they are better than expected. I broad daylight, I do not see an obvious difference between the 4 binoculars. Well, let me be more precise: the SFL seem to have more contrast. So when comparing them with the NL Pure 8x42, the Swaro gives the impression of transmitting more light and being more "transparent" but the Zeiss contrast make them more Leica-like and this is intended as a compliment.
So I guess it will be a matter of taste and maybe some more experienced users will find differences I cannot see.

On the other hand, I like the wider FOV of the NL Pure and the SF: it makes me forget I'm looking through binoculars. This is also the reason why I use the Curio 7x21 instead of the Ultravid 8x20.

Here is a picture with from left the right: SFL 8x40, NL Pure 8x32, SF 8x32, NL Pure 8x42.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 224
They arrived a few hours ago.
I had no time to test them properly but here are my first impressions after a half an hour of use:

They inspire confidence, build quality is very good, the pouch is just the right size (I won't use it but it is not ridiculous like others) and the rainguard and covers seem well designed, especially compared to the SF 8x32 and the covers of the NL Pure.

The focuser it slightly too stiff but there is a chance this will improved. Hinge is really too stiff too and this more of an issue. I'll ask my reseller.

The handling is ok but because I have relatively small hands, the barrel diameter is less confortable than the SF 8x32 and there is no comparison with both the NL Pure. But I can leave with it.

Optically, they are better than expected. I broad daylight, I do not see an obvious difference between the 4 binoculars. Well, let me be more precise: the SFL seem to have more contrast. So when comparing them with the NL Pure 8x42, the Swaro gives the impression of transmitting more light and being more "transparent" but the Zeiss contrast make them more Leica-like and this is intended as a compliment.
So I guess it will be a matter of taste and maybe some more experienced users will find differences I cannot see.

On the other hand, I like the wider FOV of the NL Pure and the SF: it makes me forget I'm looking through binoculars. This is also the reason why I use the Curio 7x21 instead of the Ultravid 8x20.

Here is a picture with from left the right: SFL 8x40, NL Pure 8x32, SF 8x32, NL Pure 8x42.
Very nice to hear that the "view" is Leica-like! (Contrast, color quality). And about the build quality. The size looks great, too.

Personally, the slightly fuller barrel diameter (vs. NL and SF 8x32) suits my preference, as well. They look quite akin to Conquest HD 8x32, as far as form factor is concerned. (That's a compliment.)

Looking forward to ongoing commentary.

When adjusting the diopter see if the ocular lens moves in and out like on a Nikon LX?

Yes it does.

Is the armour the same quality as the SF or is it the cheap feeling soft type the HD's use?
I do not know the HD. The armour does not get marks like the SF but was slightly sticky after my session. I wonder if washing the binoculars would help.
So far, my favourite armour is Leica followed by Swaro. I'm not crazy about Zeiss armour which looks like it should be as good as Leica but is not. But this not a deal breaker.

Thank you. Very nice to see them side by side.
I am not saying I know anything but they look like I expected, and your early impression is what I was thinking they "should be like" at that price point. My main Bino-Pusher will have stock in May sometime and will give me a call when the SFL 8x40 arrives.

On paper, the 8x32 NL Pure and the 8x40 SFL weigh exactly the same. How do they feel in hand? Do they feel like the same weight or is does either one feel "very different" to the other in ergonomics and perceived weight?

On paper, the 8x32 NL Pure and the 8x40 SFL weigh exactly the same. How do they feel in hand? Do they feel like the same weight or is does either one feel "very different" to the other in ergonomics and perceived weight?
The 8x32 NL Pure and the 8x32 SF feel lighter than the 8x40 SFL.
But I weighted them and this is just a perception.

To me, the SFL feel like binoculars and the NL Pure feel like gloves.

I do not know the HD. The armour does not get marks like the SF but was slightly sticky after my session. I wonder if washing the binoculars would help.
So far, my favourite armour is Leica followed by Swaro. I'm not crazy about Zeiss armour which looks like it should be as good as Leica but is not. But this not a deal breaker.
Thanks - the HD armour for me is pretty nasty - sticky, marks, feels soft and feels the sort of rubber that degrades (optically the HD 8x32s were quite nice though).

I wonder whether the stiffness you found in the focuser is an upgrade from the greased design of the HDs to a greaseless focuser - they do take time to settle in.

They've certainly chosen an interesting price point - only £55 less than the Swaro EL, and a few 100 above the Kahle/SLCs on UK prices - tough competitors build and optic wise.

Very impressive lineup. I particularly like being able to directly compare the sizes. The SF is simply too large for a x32. And the new SFL could easily go as a x32 as well. Thanks for the picture!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back