• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie from the Netherlands (1 Viewer)

NLuka

Netherlands
Goodday All,

My name is Luka and I am living in the south of the Netherlands.

Birding, wildlife, hikes, cyclingtours, motorcycling are a few of my hobbies and always in company of a Binocular.
Started with an "Eden" , stepped up to a Opticron and after that to a Swarovski which was extremely expensive but I enjoy it every time I use it.

Picked up an old bathered Swift Audubon 8.5x44 for less than lunchmoney...started to read about them some time ago (also on this forum) and as I have a technical profession I cleaned and repaired it...I was amazed about the view and from there on it went downwards.

Currently I have to much bino's according to my girlfriend...(about 25 ready to go, both new and old) and still a bunch of them in the projectbox waiting for some TLc. Among them an Ednar, Swift audubon restored, a 25 year old Swift Audubon in absolute mint condition, EL 10x50 and 8x32, SLX 8x42 and 15x56 and a Habicht 10x40 WGA
I wanted to use Luka as forum name, but that was already in use. I opted for NLuka...you can read it as Luka from NL or Luka wants and NL.

I like nature in general, always looking for birds in fields and treetops. Had a few nice encounters already although I can't say what birds I see..Learning curve in progress.
I hope I can contribute here in the future.

Hi Luka and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, Luka. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I know it's a few months since your post but I hope, as we approach spring, your birdwatching efforts are rewarded. Don't know much about birding in Holland, except that I have heard that the Biesbosch national park is amazing. My advice for a beginner is to get a notebook and pencil and a field guide (Collins is the one I use, and, as you seem to have good English, will be good for all Europe, and there is a Birdwatching Guide to the Netherlands, by Roger White, with lists in Dutch and English). Once you bought it, leave the field guide at home! Learning to make good field notes, even if you can't draw for toffee, is a great skill. Best wishes and be happy in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's a few months since your post but I hope, as we approach spring, your birdwatching efforts are rewarded. Don't know much about birding in Holland, except that I have heard that the Biesbosch national park is amazing. My advice for a beginner is to get a notebook and pencil and a field guide (Collins is the one I use, and, as you seem to have good English, will be good for all Europe, and there is a Birdwatching Guide to the Netherlands, by Roger White, with lists in Dutch and English). Once you bought it, leave the field guide at home! Learning to make good field notes, even if you can't draw for toffee, is a great skill. Best wishes and be happy in life.
Good advice, I just like to add that we have a Dutch version of the Collins in the Netherlands, the ANWB Vogelgids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back