• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica (5 Viewers)

Well all I can say is I never ever see any CA with the Kowa SV 8x32 and I am pretty susceptible to it so if there were any I imagine I would have noticed. It is also a glare handling star with an immersive view and I never said it had been updated but perhaps it has. I couldn't know as I only have this one six months and never owned or tried one previously. My newer Sapphire appears upgraded from my original 3 year old early model but both of them didn't/don't have CA.

Some-one mentioned the Opticron Aurora and I tried one years ago against the Swaro SV and the Aurora had a ton of deep purple CA. It was worse than my original silver prism Opticron DBA. The Swaro EL SV was effectively CA free although my first 8x32 EL had some.

I found the EII very bad for CA also.

My M7 has some as did the Leica 10x32 HD I had and the Leica had not the easiest eye placement unlike the 10x30 M7 or at least it is not as bad. My 8x32 FL had effectively none.

My Papilio II 6.5x also has no CA and this new RSPB 8x20 I bought has none either so there are 4 bins I currently have with CA effectively totally controlled and altogether they still cost less than one of these lower end Leica.

Lets wait until the new bin comes out properly to see how it is but I'm still keeping my Kowa and all the others.

I would swap my Bresser for the Leica though8-P

Last edited:
The more I hear about the new Leica, I like what has been posted.

I'll bet they will get a lot of new Leica customers this way.

I wonder what Jan thinks of the new Leica, and if he has any in the shop ?

Jerry

The more I hear about the new Leica, I like what has been posted.

I'll bet they will get a lot of new Leica customers this way.

I wonder what Jan thinks of the new Leica, and if he has any in the shop ?

Jerry

I am as curious as the lot of you.
In this case BF had to inform me (thanks for the heads up Leica:C)
The first who got them was the Kite owner (Signs of Nature) in Belgium who showed them at his Optics Fair last weekend.
Even the Dutch rep for Leica can't get his hands on them. Looks like there is a desease going round in Wetzlar: launch models premature and don't keep stock.

Jan (who was not amused)

...........over-engineered solution for a very small problem (most people set the diopter once and that's it).

Setting the diopter once is one thing, but in most cases the setting can be accidentally changed. That includes the Zeiss central mechanisms in both the original Victory 10x40 and the Victory FL 8x42. I can't say anything about the more recent Zeiss models. But the Leica version has always been where it had been set originally. So Leica's original central diopter system is not something that should be given up lightly.

I find the earlier Leica 12x50 dioptre system very troublesome indeed in the dark.
However, I need to set to 1/8th dioptre and can detect 1/16 dioptre changes.
The traditional dioptre rotation on the right eyepiece is very much more accurate.

For young viewers with plenty of accomodation it may be O.K. But it is too complex.

I'm with Binastro on this. Most of the "high-end" dioptre setting systems with fixed indents are way too coarse for me now that I'm no longer young and don't have much accommodation anymore. What comes with reduced accommodation is the realization that your eyes change during the day/night and a setting that was right yesterday is not necessarily right now. I therefore much prefer simple systems with non-indexed gradual settings. Of the notched type, the systems where you can ignore the notches are best. Examples of such are the Zeiss HT and SF, where you can leave the diopter wheel up in its "adjust" position whereby it can be set between the indents also, and the Canon 10x42, where the locking (and when locked, stepwise) adjustment ring can be left pulled out in its "adjust" position in any setting between the extremes. Likewise the Nikon HG/L series.

Either rotating the right eyepiece or a non-indexed ring around it are the simplest and best solution as far as I am concerned.

So, although among the fancier systems the Leica system has been my favorite, I find the simpler system on the new Trinovid a potential improvement.

Kimmo

The diopter setting mechanismn on my Ultravid HD and of other Ultravids or earlier Trinvois (BN) I tried all work continously, no notches... ?

I wonder how much the fancy (reinvent the wheel) Leica diopter setter actually adds to the binocular cost in all the fine components and assembly I imagine is needed?

What does it really add to your viewing?

I never ever have thought oh I wish all my bins would have some sort of fancy diopter setter.

The simple no clicks, no lock stiction job around the right eyepiece is absolutely fine. If it has a fancy diopter then ok, whatever but click stops (such as with El's) do prevent in-between settings which has long been known about and if your click doesn't happen to be right for you then to bad. Return or sell it or put up with it.

Simple and cheap isn't always bad, just like my Kowa.......8-P so I think this will be a good thing from Leica but I have a feeling they are bound to hobble the optics, we just have to find out how yet. What will be the weak points?

Last edited:
I wonder how much the fancy (reinvent the wheel) Leica diopter setter actually adds to the binocular cost in all the fine components and assembly I imagine is needed?

What does it really add to your viewing?

I never ever have thought oh I wish all my bins would have some sort of fancy diopter setter.

The simple no clicks, no lock stiction job around the right eyepiece is absolutely fine. If it has a fancy diopter then ok, whatever but click stops (such as with El's) do prevent in-between settings which has long been known about and if your click doesn't happen to be right for you then to bad. Return or sell it or put up with it.

Simple and cheap isn't always bad, just like my Kowa.......8-P so I think this will be a good thing from Leica but I have a feeling they are bound to hobble the optics, we just have to find out how yet. What will be the weak points?

the downside with the new focus wheel is that it's shorter and closer to the oculars so the ergonomics will suffer a bit

Last edited:
lol, I'm now wondering who's nose will be to big?

I'm not sure anyone will admit to that issue8-P but I guess there will be some that it may in fact affect though I've never heard of it being a problem. IPD to small for some, yes.

I'm guessing Leica won't be including a free nose job?

Last edited:

Leica will have made sure there's a visible difference between the Ultravid HD Plus and the new Trinovid. From what I heard there's a difference in transmission for instance, something like 4 % in favour of the Ultravid. That doesn't mean the Trinovid is bad, it's just not as good as the Ultravid.

But then Leica has to make sure there's a visible difference, anything else wouldn't make sense at all.

Hermann

I think the Ultravid HD optics will be used in the new Trinovid HD.
The last Trinovid seemed like it had the Ultravid BR optics, so now
that the Ultravid has just been upgraded with Schott glass, etc. and
named Ultravid Plus, they are simply upgrading the Trinovid with the old
Ultravid HD glass.
Redesigning the body without the fancy diopter
brings the cost down a bit. The weight is better with magnesium body and they have
Improved close focus and ER too.

I wish they upgraded the new UV Plus to have magnesium body to shave
a little weight off, but they stuck with aluminum.
I don't mind that the new Trinivid has a traditional diopter , but I do like the center diopter
of the UV a lot. It's easy to use and I like that you can comfortably rest two fingers on the
focus.

t

Last edited:
I think the Ultravid HD optics will be used in the new Trinovid HD.
The last Trinovid seemed like it had the Ultravid BR optics, so now
that the Ultravid has just been upgraded with Schott glass, etc. and
named Ultravid Plus, they are simply upgrading the Trinovid with the old
Ultravid HD glass.
Redesigning the body without the fancy diopter
brings the cost down a bit. The weight is better with magnesium body and they have
Improved close focus and ER too.

I don't mind that the new Trinivid has a traditional diopter , but I do like the center diopter
of the UV a lot. It's easy to use and I like that you can comfortably rest two fingers on the
focus.

t

If Leica brings out the new Trinovid HD, with the Ultravid HD optics,
that would make it a nice choice in the under $1,000 class.

I hope you are correct on your wish list. ;)

Jerry

If Leica brings out the new Trinovid HD, with the Ultravid HD optics,
that would make it a nice choice in the under $1,000 class.

I hope you are correct on your wish list. ;)

Jerry

Me too Jerry ... I'm guessing on all of this , but I think it's
a good guess.

focus.

t

Ultravid HD, HD Plus and Trinovid 42mm are already made of magnesium,
but some of the smaller Trinovids and Duovids are still aluminium

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-HD-Plus/Downloads

Just had a look in the Leica catalogue that can be downloaded from their website and I copied this paragraph:

The focusing mechanism of Ultravid HD and HD-Plus binoculars has a completely smooth action for reliable, fast and precise focusing. Thanks to their durable construction, they are ready for action even in the most challenging weather conditions. The central hinge axis is machined from hightensile titanium, while the body is manufactured from ultra-lightweight magnesium. The rugged and fully waterproof Ultravid HD and HD-Plus models are rubber-armoured to provide perfect grip. The lenses are reliably protected against water and dirt by our AquaDura® coating.​

So its magnesium.

Lee

The bloke at the Leica stand at the trade fair wasn't sure what the body of the new Trinovid is made of, but he thought it was magnesium as well.

Given the low weight of the new Trinovid this makes sense.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back