• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightingales (1 Viewer)

Moosebird

I wonder if anyone could recommend a reliable site to hear Nightingales within an hour's drive of Nottingham? I've heard Rutland Water might be worth a visit. Thanks in advance.

It might be a bit further than an hour (about 1hr 30 min), but the very best place to hear them is Paxton Pits, at Little Paxton, which is just off the A1 at St Neots. It's well worth the journey, as there's around 20-25 singing males in a fairly small area. This is the highest concentration in the country, so you're totally guaranteed to hear them. Pick a fairly mild still evening - after 6pm is best, but it doesn't have to be dark. They sing all day, but especially in the early mornings and evening.

Check their website http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/nightingale.htm and browse around for directions etc.

It might be a bit further than an hour (about 1hr 30 min), but the very best place to hear them is Paxton Pits, at Little Paxton, which is just off the A1 at St Neots. It's well worth the journey, as there's around 20-25 singing males in a fairly small area. This is the highest concentration in the country, so you're totally guaranteed to hear them. Pick a fairly mild still evening - after 6pm is best, but it doesn't have to be dark. They sing all day, but especially in the early mornings and evening.

Check their website http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/nightingale.htm and browse around for directions etc.
Thanks Poecile, Paxton sounds superb. I've never heard Nightingales before, so a trip to Cambridgeshire sounds like the best plan.

Went on Sunday, c.14 singing males around the reserve.

We had fab. views of 2 birds out in the open, the rest were singing from the middle of the scrub, we didn't get there until 10:30ish, but found they were a little quieter in the afternoon.

Lots of other birds about and also many damselflies starting to put an appearance in.

I'd also recommend Paxton, I saw my first ever nightingales here, including a rather welcoming individual singing his heart out in the open right in the car park when we arrived.

They definately pipe down in the afternoon, but become very loud again after about 8pm (building up from about 5pm).

There's a bird that hangs about between the Heron and Kingfisher hides that is usually quite showy, so you might get a good view.

It's well worth hanging around til just after dark too, as you get the full effect when most other birds have gone quiet and there are just the nightingales having song-duels. You need a fairly calm night though, not too much wind, no more than a breeze.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back