• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 10 x 42 – broken collimation wheel (1 Viewer)

Avron

Hi,

While doing some fall birding last week I noticed that the collimation wheel on my wife's Nikon 10x42 SE had broken: it simply turned and turned loosely, without changing the collimation at all. We live in Toronto. The binoculars are 22 years old and still razor sharp but likely no longer under warranty. I am hoping that someone can recommend a binocular repair person in, or at least near, Toronto. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
A

Hi,

While doing some fall birding last week I noticed that the collimation wheel on my wife's Nikon 10x42 SE had broken: it simply turned and turned loosely, without changing the collimation at all. We live in Toronto. The binoculars are 22 years old and still razor sharp but likely no longer under warranty. I am hoping that someone can recommend a binocular repair person in, or at least near, Toronto. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
A
For binocular repair: Cory Suddarth (Suddarth Optical Repair - Binocular Repair & Binocular Repair Near Me & Binocular Collimation Service & Binocular Cleaning & Binocular Restoration & Fix Double Vision Suddarth Optical Repair).
I suggest that first you contact Nikon CS, if they cannot repair the focuser of your bino (likely) they might be willing to replace your SE with an MHG 10x42.

The OP might also mean the diopter adjustment ring on the right eyepiece. That can wind up spinning uselessly if the set screws work loose, and it's an easy fix with a little flat head jeweler's screwdriver.

The OP might also mean the diopter adjustment ring on the right eyepiece. That can wind up spinning uselessly if the set screws work loose, and it's an easy fix with a little flat head jeweler's screwdriver.

Hi Henry,

Sorry for the error: yes, I meant the diopter wheel. Can you let me know how one is to fix the problem with a flat head screwdriver? I'd be truly grateful.

Thanks,
Avron

Pull off the stretch-fit rubber eyecup. Underneath you'll find three tiny set screws equally spaced along the side of the diopter adjustment ring near the back of its housing. Tighten them so that they are all about equaling screwed in and and tight. That should do it.

True, forgot about the time to wait. Thanks to folks like Cory and Eric who can service just about anything, many can have the older glass serviced.

You never cease to amaze me. Reminds me of the " Beard of Knowledge" on tv show Pawn Stars.
The only difference (possibly the beard too) is that, unlike the Beard of Knowledge (Mark), Henry can also tell you a cost/price estimate, Mark never does......

Last edited:
Community in action, indeed! Yes, Henry is spectacular. But my thanks go out to everyone to posted. I am thrilled with the help that I received and the willingness of so many to contribute.

Best to all,
Avron

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back