• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32SE, 8x32EDG, Zeiss 8x42FL and Zen-Ray 7x36 ED2 at the OK Corral (1 Viewer)

That is something that I would be interested in Steve. I am having a problem discovering this issue. Comparing your unit with one that is of "returnable quality" should make for an interesting discussion point.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing it as a practical matter of significance. I don't want anybody to misunderstand me, I do not wish to try and tell everybody they are crazy. It may well be I am crazy, who knows. But usually I can get a pretty good handle on what others describe, not here. It seems something is going on. It may well be a too much fov issue too, that was posted someplace. Things like focus traction I can pretty well understand, but this crescent glare has be baffled a bit. There seem to be good observations of its presence, as well as its absence.

Who knows? You might even get to see my pair.

Having looked at the innards of this binocular, though, I think they should all be pretty much the same unless for some unlikely reason the MFG is using matted rings in some and not in others. It's an intermittent problem that depends on particular circumstances--at this point I think that moderate to low light in the field of view with a brightish sky or other illumination off axis brings it out most strongly. If you use it under those circumstances the glare is likely to bother you a lot, and if not you may not notice it. I've found it only faintly noticeable in bright sun, but that doesn't mean it's not affecting what I see.

Last edited:
Fireform:..I forgot, In the pictures You took of the glare,..Was it more evident at close focus?..Is this when the focusing lens is closer to the objective or towards the back?...

The bright reflection outside the exit pupil is more prominent at infinite focus, but that is just a secondary reflection from the focus lens ring off of something else. If anything, the reflection that causes the actual glare within the field of view is more prominent at closer focus, because the focus lens retaining ring is more exposed nearer to the objective.

I had a good look inside the objective end of the Zens, and it's remarkable how well they perform considering how much bare metal there is inside them and how rough some of the finishing is. It's a very different view from what you see inside an alpha bin. The inner surface of the metal ring retaining the focusing lens is not black as it appeared from the ocular end through the loupe, but bare aluminum. So, there's a good deal of light bouncing around in there. That so little of it affects the view certainly speaks to good overall design.

The internal components are made of some stable material, and metal certainly holds things in place. I have no idea how you then make all the parts black. But if it is some coating, then there is risk of the coating pieces falling off and showing up as specs.

Black anodizing?

That is, maybe that's a method of properly painting the surfaces without future deterioration.

Last edited:
The internal components are made of some stable material, and metal certainly holds things in place. I have no idea how you then make all the parts black. But if it is some coating, then there is risk of the coating pieces falling off and showing up as specs.
I once bought a pair of Swaro EL´s in a store and didn´t check them properly. When I checked later, I saw two black specks in the barrels when I looked through the objectives. Pretty horrified, I took them back and the guy in the store changed them, commenting (pretty casually) that it was probably specks of "paint". I couldn´t understand why paint would be inside a pair of very expensive binoculars.

Overall:
I’m not going to produce an overall ranking, because the above factors matter to different degrees to different users, and the subjects vary in price by a factor of 5 even including maximum discounts. In my subjective case the newcomers did not unseat my existing go-to bins, the Zeiss Fls and the Nikon SEs. The EDGs have gone back to the retailer—a very fine binocular but the bottom line is that they are heavier than the ED2s and the SEs and less bright than either.
The jury is out on the Zens. Their strengths (center field sharpness and contrast, brightness, color rendition) are in areas that are very important to me. Their weaknesses (edge sharpness, stray light control and slowish focus) are in areas that don’t usually fuss me very much. They are substantially brighter than any 8x32 roof I’ve ever owned or auditioned, they have enough magnification to provide excellent center field resolution, and they weigh the same as the SEs and 2 oz less than the EDGs. However, the stray light problem is a serious demerit and I will have to use them for a couple of weeks before I decide whether it’s a deal-breaker. I know the argument has been advanced that this only appears when the bins are tilted up at the sky or the eye is not centered. Tilting them upward from the horizontal does aggravate the problem, but in my 35 years or so of using binoculars I’ve found that birds not uncommonly appear above the horizontal, what with being able to fly and all. The argument that a particular bin is perfect but that I’m holding it wrong or looking at the wrong things with it is not persuasive. They either do the job for me or they don’t.
I’ll make up my mind on these pretty soon, because I’m quite tired of looking through binoculars to find their optical flaws. It’s time for the fall migration!

Fireform: Now that the glare issue is becoming more known in the Zen Ray, I hope you update your review. The Zen Ray, does not even belong in the same corral as these other fine bins.

A chemical finish process which actually reacts with the material will have a much less chance of separation than simply "coating". These chemical processes have been around for a while although some of the tougher ones are a bit pricey.

I once bought a pair of Swaro EL´s in a store and didn´t check them properly. When I checked later, I saw two black specks in the barrels when I looked through the objectives. Pretty horrified, I took them back and the guy in the store changed them, commenting (pretty casually) that it was probably specks of "paint". I couldn´t understand why paint would be inside a pair of very expensive binoculars.

another post also reports dust issue with his binoculars

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=148712

They were Zeiss but the OP was too timid to say.

And Dalat's Leica's too.

Obviously there is something going around in the alpha bin world. ;)

zen ray glare (?)

I recently (10/2010) bought a Zen Ray 7x36 ed. They seem to have cured the glare problem noted above. Better baffling? A very impressive binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back