• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7000 (1 Viewer)

hectorzaza

Can someone help me please going out of my head.Just bought a Nikon D7000 as my first DSLR camera,I have matched it with a Tamron AF70-300 F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1.2 lens.but thought I would try it with a teleconverter for that extra bit of reachbut I cannot seem to find a teleconverter to match both the camera and the lens,bought a sigma converter but it would not screw on the lens.is there one out there or am I banging my head against a wall looking thanks.

Teleconverters can't be really used with entry level lenses like yours. You might find some older or 3rd party converters (Kenko) that would mount, but you wouldn't be satisfied with the image quality.

Teleconverters only work in situation when lens resolution outresolves the sensor. Which is certainly not your case as the Tamron is a basic lens with poor performance (DxOMark test) and your D7000 is rather high-res sensor.

Don't waste time looking for converter. If you really need more reach, be prepared to upgrade your lens (or check other options how to get closer to your subjects).

I agree. Teleconverters are problematic with consumer zoom lenses like the Tamron 70-300. Many teleconverters simply will not fit, and there is risk of damaging your lens. Image quality is marginal - and acceptable only in the best light with closer subjects. And the Kenko Pro 1.4 teleconverter is probably the best choice for an option to even try it. With the 1.4 teleconverter, you lose a stop of light. So your f/5.6 lens at the long end becomes an f/8 lens at the long end. Autofocus is marginal at best. I think the center sensor will provide AF at f/8, but with other sensors AF is unreliable with all but the best of lighting conditions.

I have a 70-300 lens and Kenko teleconverter. What starts as a pretty good lens, produces a very low percentage of acceptable images when you add a teleconverter. I probably found less than 5% of images to be truly sharp - and that's too low to be acceptable.

If you really need more reach, there are longer lens options like the Sigma 150-500 and Tamron 200-500. But its probably better to learn technique and stealth to be able to use your current lens. For bird photography, you'll can never have enough reach. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back