• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review (1 Viewer)

I'd second the praise for this scope's optical qualities but also point out that the tripod- screw socket arrangement is rather fragile, being basically a bit of thick wire. Mine unravelled (under no great pressure) and about five or six other people reported similar problems on this forum. Nikon charged for fixing it too.
But I do find I use the scope hand-held these days anyway, or supported by hide-shelf/fence etc, in which case it isn't a problem.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I suspect that most people that have had problems with the threads on ED50s aren't using a plate to mount to the head. The repetition and required torque to minimize twisting I'll bet are contributing factors.

On a small scope like the ED50 an Arca-type plate and clamp (on the head) works great.

Here's a pic of the scope with an Arca-type plate. Note that I drilled and tapped an extra hole for the anti- twist pin.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=143339&d=1212594209

I posted this question before but never received any replies. Has anybody else found that the hole for the anti-twist pin in the ED50's tripod mount is substantially bigger than the anti-twist pin on their tripod QR plate? Mine is a slack fit and allows the scope to twist slightly, which could cause it to loosen after a while. My tripod is an Opticron 42704.

Incidentally, I leave the QR plate permanently attached to the scope so that I don't have to continually loosen and tighten the mounting screw. No problems with the mount so far, touch wood.

Ron

..this has to be the best scope, for its size, on the planet. I am a seller as well as a user.. these little scopes are just brilliant everyone should have one.

My eyepiece choice is as follows

1/ the 13-40 zoom is the best all round still sharp at 40x and if you bird from hides at wetlands and reservoirs the variable lens is a must.

2/ for the purist the MC 20xWA gives pure clarity width and depth of field. Combined with a straight body ideal for travel and would work well with a shoulder pod

3/ for that little bit extra the MC 27x WA..ok extra mag but you lose that beautiful crisp wide perfect view the 20x gives

4/ for digiscoping the DS 16xWA ..also perfect for forest birding scoping tanagers trogons quetzals etc in the tree tops

What colour grey green or pink? well your choice ..all the angled pink ones have gone but you can still buy a straight one for just £199 just add the eyepiece of your choice.

If you already own an ED 82 or ED111 what are you waiting for? You have the eyepieces already just buy the ED 50 body for the perfect travelling companion

Hi JM, do you/have you use the Official Nikon Grippa case, and if so how does it work for you please?

Regards

Geoff

Has anybody else found that the hole for the anti-twist pin in the ED50's tripod mount is substantially bigger than the anti-twist pin on their tripod QR plate? Mine is a slack fit and allows the scope to twist slightly, which could cause it to loosen after a while.

I used a pin I scavenged from a Manfrotto plate used with a 3130 head (now 128 RC). As I recall it is just a bit loose in the hole of the scope. I tightened it down (bottomed it out) and has been fine, no movement.

One thought I just had was that you could use just a wee bit of silicone caulking in the hole to "bush" the pin. This would be simple and non destructive.

Incidentally, I leave the QR plate permanently attached to the scope so that I don't have to continually loosen and tighten the mounting screw. No problems with the mount so far, touch wood.

That's the way to do it, alright.

For anyone wanting to modify an Arca-type plate for the Manfrotto pin, use a standard 1/4"-20 tap. Requires a #7 drill first.

Last edited:
Not seen one of those before Kevin, but looks like it may be the answer.

Sean

Sean,
If you google "Arca plate" you'll see lots. You need a plate for the scope and a clamp that can be fitted to many ballheads, or you can buy a ballhead with one already installed. Benro (*b*y) has decent inexpensive Arca compatible ballheads that come with a plate. Prices range from reasonable to very expensive, so look around.

Hi JM, do you/have you use the Official Nikon Grippa case, and if so how does it work for you please?

I use a stay on case supplied with the scope by in focus, cley spy also produce a similar case and their relative merits have been discussed elsewhere.

The grippa case offers less protection but would prove handy if the scope was largely used hand held. The grippa is very similar to a handy cam case in this respect. Nikon supply a protective travel jacket with the scope but this has to be modified with stanley knife or scissors in order to be of use in the field.

One more !

I was after a good/light spotting scope.
After a lot of reading, I choosed a straight one with a 13-40 for versatility.

My first idea was a Kowa 664, more diameter, more light and possibly more power! Finally after digging this thread I favored lightness (with good quality), if necessary I'll look at a 82.

I had really few times to try-it today and most at dusk. It works great, probably not far from what a 50mm could deliver at his best. Beside of optical quality I greatly appreciate the focusing that help to obtain the finest image.

I bought a new straight 50ED with the 13-30x zoom (only way you can get them in the U.S.) for a great price of $489 & mounted it on a Bush Hawk shoulder mount. I must say that the combo works great! The total package weighs just at 32 oz. and the scope stays steady at 30x with no shake. Packs compactly and hard to beat for travel or birding 'light'! :t:

Got the ED50 for christmas from the wife following research.

Cant fault it - i was very surprised when i saw the wrapped box as it was so small.......

Opted for the 27x wide and it really is a joy and lightweight to take anywhere with me.

nikon 24x/30x wide mc and 50ED

Nikon warns against using the nikon 24x/30x wide mc (#7462) with the 50ED due to vignetting.

I wonder if there are some practical experiences to share with this combo ?
How bad is the vignetting ?

cheers

Tom

Last edited:
Nikon warns against using the nikon 24x/30x wide mc (#7462) with the 50ED due to vignetting.

I wonder if there are some practical experiences to share with this combo ?
How bad is the vignetting ?

cheers

Tom

Pascal, Karmantra, Hedgeland....congratulations on your new ED50´s!!!
Tom...I have used 30xw MC eyepiece on my 50ED, without problems....but I found the magnification a bit weak (is it 16x on the 50ED?) and prefer the 27/50 ep. (I find this too shaky to hold on a shoulder-pod or monopod, though....)

Results from brief survey investigating impacts with the ground . .

Well they seem able to come off relatively unscathed when your tripod falls over. My fault in not making sure the travel tripod (has non-locking legs) was set up properly in windy conditions and not attended closely enough . . .

It dug into the gravelly track a bit at the eyepiece and objective end, but no damage as far as I'm aware . . . being light, whilst it's downfall, also probably means it has less impact when it does fall . . ??

Phew . . .

Shall i go for it then coz you lot cant say enought about this scope ?
ED50 angled with 13-40 MC2 zoom and a grippa case ?

Im looking at a Swarovski 65hd but i think this would be better as i do a lot of walking ?
And with the money i will save i can get my future wife a decent pair of bins.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back