• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED78A to Contax U4R (1 Viewer)

Before I go and buy the wrong kit, I thought I would ask some advice about the set-up. If anyone has any experience of anything like this set-up I would love to hear it.
Firstly I believe I need a Contax 28mm filter thread to enable the camera to connect to my digiscoping adapter?
Next my digiscoping adapter - I have the old 30xw eyepiece (38xw on my 78) - so it looks like a choice between the eagleeye (L6) and the LCE adapter. Can't say I'm thrilled about having to remove the rubber fold-down eye cap if I choose the LCE adapter so am leaning toward the eagleeye. Eagleeye make an adapter with a 28mm thread 'specially for Nikon Cameras' - am I correct in assuming that as my Contax will have a 28mm filter thread fitted that this adapter will fit?
I guess I am also going to have to invest in one of Pennine's brackets with cable release.
Presumably that is all I need, apart from limitless patience and lots and lots of practice to make my first attempts at digiscoping?
Any comments/advice gratefully received

When I bought my tube adaptor, I threw myself at the mercy of the guys at EagleEye. Tell them what eyepiece you have, and what camera and they will sort out what you need. They also supply what I believe is the best cable adaptor as well. (I have two the Jessops one, and the EagleEye. The EagleEye is by far the most sturdy.) I have no idea whether they supply the adaptor threads for the Contex camera's. They do for the Nikons.

I am sure you will not be dissapointed by the service you will receive. They will email you back with what they consider you need and price it all up. If you are happy, pay for it and it will be delivered next day. Its a good all round service.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back