• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (2 Viewers)

Again, it's just a question of Swaro once again not having SLC 8/10x56 in their US retail channel. They only did for a few years; otherwise a dealer has to special order them.
Yes, I actually tried to buy my 10x56 SLC through the local retailer last year. Swarovski USA was showing one last pair available at their own online store, but refused to let my local retailer order them & sell them to me which seemed unfair.

Euro-optic in PA still had a pair so that's where I went. I suspect Swaro USA was selling so few of the 8x and 10x that they didn't want to maintain the support & parts for those going forward.

Euro-optic in PA still had a pair so that's where I went. I suspect Swaro USA was selling so few of the 8x and 10x that they didn't want to maintain the support & parts for those going forward.
The rationale is surely not service, since they're mostly identical to the 15x that's still sold. Maybe they require dealers to stock every model, and it's dealers who didn't want to... who knows. (Probably Gordon!)

The rationale is surely not service, since they're mostly identical to the 15x that's still sold. Maybe they require dealers to stock every model, and it's dealers who didn't want to... who knows. (Probably Gordon!)
that makes sense! Still servicing the 15x so what's the difference. I'd have to guess the 8 and 10x just weren't selling? Who knows. I never see birders using them, it must be all hunters

I do get some curious looks with my SLC 56s on trails.

But back to MHGs: all this concern over MiC vs MiJ puzzles me. I thought everyone considered them second-rate anyway compared to EDGs.
As I believe I said earlier, I did a direct side by side comparison on the Monarch HG’s and the EDG’s. The EDG is the superior binoculars in almost every area, except in brightness under certain lighting conditions, that is the only area that could be considered slightly better.

The qualitative differences of MIJ and MIC remains to be seen. We know the quality of what comes out of Japan. But we also know very well that China is producing some very good quality binoculars, look at monarch 7 and 5 and the Zeiss Terra’s. I doubt very much that Nikon will allow their top of line (upper mid level) binoculars to have a much lower standard. So I don’t doubt they will be very good.

My point about MIC is and has been political. I voiced that opinion many times here. Considering what has transpired in the last few years. There are so many other binoculars that are great deals that are high-quality, that compete with anything MIC. If you like the MHG find a MIJ version. The vortex (from viper to Razor) also compete very well and are made in the Philippines.

Paul

Last edited:
Might be a good time to pick up the refurbished HGs that Nikon has. Guessing they’re the MIJs and the quality on the refurbs is excellent. Only a 90 day warranty but at 30% off that’s like getting a great deal on a used pair that has just come back from the service center. Plus Nikon typically runs sales with further discounts so they can be had for an even better price.

FWIW I bought a pair of SFL 10x40s and compared to my HGs. At dusk watching elk the HGs were definately brighter. I felt sharpness was very close but a little softer on the SFL edges. Also the slightly wider fov gave the HGs a more immersive feel. Also preferred the color and contrast on the HGs. SFLs were very neutral which I know lots here prefer. For me the warmer colors of the HG also enhanced the view. The HGs have more of a Kodachrome tint and the SFLs Ektachrome. The SFL definately had a much nicer focuser. But overall I preferred the HGs and returned the SFLs. Was greatly surprised by that as I had waited patiently for a good deal on SFLs so I could replace my HGs with them. When CampSaver had 25% off I pounced. Was really surprised I ended up sending them back.

Standard disclaimer: Everyone’s eyes and preferences are different. I’m obviously in the minority here preferring the HGs. Might be because I use my binos more for open western USA expanses as much as birding. Not sure but it’s great we can all pick and choose what we prefer. If anyone wants to tell me I’m wrong about all of this and it will make you feel better go for it.

PS My dad was a research chemist at Kodak and for years worked on Ektachrome. I always preferred the more vibrant colors of Kodachrome. And yes I’ve just dated myself lol

I remember the member Beth who sent in a refurbished hg 8x30 to Nikon for a focus issue, they replaced it with a new one, so Nikon did address an issue with a refurbished hg.

By the way I agree with your assessment of the hg and sfl, hell I even like the Trinovid HD in 10x42 better than the sfl.

I’m really hoping that someday Nikon will improve the HG. Better focuser, screw out eyecups and perhaps even better optics. Would gladly pay the extra money for that. Maybe that’s why they’re moving HG production to China. One can only hope.

And yes I’ve owned EDGs. The noticeable lack of brightness is a deal killer for me as I do quite a bit of low light viewing.

Wowowow @Upland! :) Kodachromes and Ektachromes! :) :) Love it! I wish the prices on these come down a bit. Pretty steep, and my Minolta X570 has still not had a chance to feel them! :) :) Sorry to add a useless post to this thread, but just wanted to applaud @Upland's creativity in these comparisons!

I’m really hoping that someday Nikon will improve the HG. Better focuser, screw out eyecups and perhaps even better optics. Would gladly pay the extra money for that. Maybe that’s why they’re moving HG production to China. One can only hope.

And yes I’ve owned EDGs. The noticeable lack of brightness is a deal killer for me as I do quite a bit of low light viewing.
Lol, yeah that must be why they're moving production to china, to make them brighter. :LOL:

I’m hoping hoping they moved them to China so they’ll start building a new improved model in their Japanese facilities. Doubtful but plausible.

Why moving production to China would it mean that they'll improve the HG? I think it would be the opposite, the quality could downgrade, but you pay the same.

I guess you didn’t read my post. Hoping they are moving HG production to China so they can use the Japanese facilities for a new improved premium model

I still have a hard time believing that the Monarch HG is made in China now . I will believe when I see a picture clearly showing made in China on the binocular , then I will count my blessings that mine is made in Japan .
It seems to me that anyone that answers a phone at Nikon doesn't have a clue about anything so they ask somebody else for the answer . The answer came from someone that was busy and all that someone heard was "where are the monarch's made ".

I still have a hard time believing that the Monarch HG is made in China now . I will believe when I see a picture clearly showing made in China on the binocular , then I will count my blessings that mine is made in Japan .
It seems to me that anyone that answers a phone at Nikon doesn't have a clue about anything so they ask somebody else for the answer . The answer came from someone that was busy and all that someone heard was "where are the monarch's made ".
I guess seeing MIC on the bino will be the proof for everybody to be satisfied. Ill say it again, I spoke with upper management after close to two weeks of back and forth contradictory correspondence, to finally get an answer that they indeed are being MIC. I believe I posted the email response.
A rep Ive known for years at B&H backed that up. Well wait for the first to get one to post it.

You're describing EDG here, it's all there's ever going to be from Nikon I suspect. The brightness thing is curious to me - have not noticed that at all.

In fact I finally lost willpower and bought new 8x42 EDG to go with my 7x42 :) and I could not discern any difference in brightness between it and my 8x42 SF which pretty much rule the 42mm world in terms of brightness. I wonder if coatings changed at some point, or if it's a color difference, or if my eyes can't see the difference.

For me the EDG are the perfect binoculars except for one thing, and that is the prism spikes on the Moon and lights at night. You can have the perfect binos with the spikes, or pay another $1500 to get rid of them. And some of those have it too....8x32 SF for example. What's happened to me is that the EDG have replaced the 8x42 SF's for daytime birding with the SF relegated to astronomy duty at night only.

The EDG are just so much better on eye placement and blackout issues during the day, as soon as they got here the SF were DOA for birding. SF's have annoying purple fringe around the edge of field that EDG do not as well. EDG are the ultimate for eliminating false color, another big step up from MHG. If you observe snow-covered lands in the sun you will be seeing purple all day in the 8x42 SF's.

For me the MIC has nothing to do with the quality of products, it's purely ideological, I'm voting with my dollars. No need to delve further into it, suffice it to say, it has nothing to do with the quality of the end product.

I’ve owned the EDG. Not bright enough for my purposes. Pretty heavy as well. An upgraded HG would be my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back