• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 blackouts (1 Viewer)

agus_m

Argentina
Hello, I recently bought this bino and I am having some problems when I look at the edges of the image. I haven't had roof binoculars in the past so I don't know how they are supposed to work and what to expect.
I think I have set the IPD well and I can see the whole field when looking at the centre when I extend the eyecups all the way. However, whenever I look at the edges, the whole field blacks out. If I move a bit my head in the direction of the opposite edge, I can see the whole field again. I don't know if this is supposed to work like this. Should I keep trying the "MOLCET" technique that I read somewhere here until I get it right? or should I lower my expectation since this is not an "alpha" bino? I expect to reach some users of this model, so could you tell me your experiences with it? is it possible to eliminate the blackouts without moving the head? how you do it? Thanks in advance!

You might have already tried, but in case you haven't yet, try screwing down the eyecups a little bit at a time. There may be a better sweet spot for viewing than all the way extended. However that resolves, practice makes perfect when it comes to positioning new binoculars to the eyes.

Thank you for your tips, I'll try them next time I am using the binos. But I am curious to know what the experience is for other users with the exact model of binoculars. Have you found the sweet spot? Is it achievable or is it too much to ask for this price range. Because other than that, I am quite comfortable using them, the image looks very sharp at the centre with this ipd setting, but I do have to move the binos to see the edges better (and refocus a bit since the field is not 100% flat).

In my experience (for what it's worth) blackouts tend to happen with the binocular is a little too close to your eyes. Unfortunately, if you already have the eyecups at maximum extension there may be no easy way to place the binocular a bit further away (maybe MOLCET). Nikon don't seem to manufacture or provide extra-long eyecups as Zeiss do for the Conquest models. But it might be possible to do something like adding aftermarket rubber eyecups. It's a clumsy solution but may be what is needed to get the binoculars at the right distance from your eyes.

Roof binoculars should be used in exactly the same way as porros, but if you are coming to a modern roof binocular with long eye relief like the Monarch HG from some of the old porros with very short eye relief (eg. Zeiss Dekarem and similar), the distance that you need to put the binocular to your eyes can be quite different.

Good luck and let us know if you can find a solution.

Generally in roof-prism bins I've tried, I can't look directly at the field edge without some blacking out. I recall this being less of an issue in Porro models years ago (as it seems in my E II now) possibly due to lower eye relief. One could shift the bin slightly with respect to the head as you describe, but why bother, it's easier just to point it a bit differently. This has to do with the geometry of how the eyeball rotates, even more from side to side (IIRC) than up and down. On the other hand, if eyecups are too shallow for the eye relief (which seems more common these days) I get partial blackouts instantly, no need to search for them, so I don't think that's your problem.

Last edited:
I expect to reach some users of this model, so could you tell me your experiences with it?

I owned and used this very binocular for several years and it's now owned and used by my wife. Neither of us experience blackouts in 'normal' use. I rate it highly. I used it with the eyecups one step in from maximum extension as this helped greatly in reducing slight veiling glare.

However, whenever I look at the edges, the whole field blacks out.

I suspect, as expressed above, that it's your attempt to look to the edges of the field of view simply by rolling your eyeballs that is the major cause of the issue.

Should I lower my expectation since this is not an "alpha" bino?

I'd say not so much lower expectations as work with it by moving your head or panning, again as previously described. It's a very good binocular and you could easily find 'alphas' demonstrate this very same tendency if you use them in the way you described in the OP. Additionally, some 'alphas' might throw up even more troublesome viewing experiences for you.

Hope you learn to enjoy them.

If you want to solve this problem you should upgrade to 10x42 EDG. The 42mm EDG are the best binoculars I've used with regards to minimizing blackouts and ease of eye positioning.

I owned and used this very binocular for several years and it's now owned and used by my wife. Neither of us experience blackouts in 'normal' use. I rate it highly. I used it with the eyecups one step in from maximum extension as this helped greatly in reducing slight veiling glare.

I suspect, as expressed above, that it's your attempt to look to the edges of the field of view simply by rolling your eyeballs that is the major cause of the issue.

I'd say not so much lower expectations as work with it by moving your head or panning, again as previously described. It's a very good binocular and you could easily find 'alphas' demonstrate this very same tendency if you use them in the way you described in the OP. Additionally, some 'alphas' might throw up even more troublesome viewing experiences for you.

Hope you learn to enjoy them.
Indeed it is what you say, it is my attempt of looking at the edges without shifting the binocular. I had the wrong assumption that I should be able to still see the whole field when rolling my eyes to the sides. Perhaps I got that impression when I read somewhere that you could do this easily with the Swarovsky EL SV 8.5x42, but I don't remember where I read it.
I wasn't really having an uncomfortable view, it is very nice, I just thought I was doing something wrong with the eye placement.
Thanks for all the responses, I have learned so many things from this forum and I appreciate the passion of the people here and how helpful they are to the newcomers.

Perhaps I got that impression when I read somewhere that you could do this easily with the Swarovsky EL SV 8.5x42, but I don't remember where I read it.
I do recall this being said here, and that it may involve reduced baffling which also leads to more glare. So many trade-offs... But I don't have experience with ELSVs myself. They are not typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back