• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (2 Viewers)

My camera saves all those settings (exept AP which you have to dial on the wheel) in the chosen user setting. Strange if yours don't, how does the rest of you guysdo, does the camera save? I did only test by shutting down and then turning on though, could be a short term memory in the camera :)

I which I could have more than just two user settings setups, would be great to be able to name them something as well.

I think it does, I hadn't done it in user settings, just set in the P mode I was in. I have since RTFM again and think I understand how to use the user settings - well I'll have a go anyway . . .

Quote from Neil: "Try a faster card"

I know nothing about memory cards. I see the P5100 is compatible with SD and SDHC cards. What is the difference?
Can somebody recommend a fast card please. Are some manufacturers cards faster than others?

The cheapest deal I can find is P5100 for €261 here:
http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/599918/art/nikon/coolpix-p5100.html

Their special pack for €302 looks good and includes a 2GB SD Memory Card. Is this a fast card?

Thanks,

Brendan

I paid £175 on amazon for my one, and its a euro import, think thats around €220

On the card frot the HC bit is high capacity, rather than faster. But SDHC does have a speed guide, the class system is 1-6 with 6 being faster, but some class 2 cards actually record faster than class 6. The P5100 takes SD and SDHC
ANybody seen a good cmparisson of card write speeds?

small review with some info
http://flash.atpinc.com/news/extremetech_sdhc.pdf

1st time with p5100

Very useful thread this. I wasnt sure about buying this nikon after a few poor reviews.
But attached it to my swarovski 80 hd and went onto the Teesdale moors to try it.
See the images below - lapwing was about 25 metres away, oystercatchers about 70 metres - they seem pretty sharp despite a 25mph wind blowing.

My only issue is with the 3 second time delay - it needs setting after everyshot. This is a real nuisance.
Other than that I am very pleased with the camera and results. Will post more pics here.
Let me know what you think of the pics.

Attachments

• Lapwing3web.jpg
    Lapwing3web.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Lapwing5Web.jpg
    Lapwing5Web.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 228
  • redshank1web.jpg
    redshank1web.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Oystercatchers1web.jpg
    Oystercatchers1web.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
My only issue is with the 3 second time delay - it needs setting after everyshot. This is a real nuisance.
Other than that I am very pleased with the camera and results. Will post more pics here.
Let me know what you think of the pics.[/QUOTE]

You should be happy with these first efforts, particularly as the sun was very high in the sky which makes it tough to expose for the whites. 70 metres is a challenging distance too.
Post some more when you have them. Neil.

Re -

Thanks for your comments it is appreciated.
I will just have to get used to setting the timer each time. Or put it on continuous and hope for the best. I suppose however that it could be put on the 15 shot continous and left - this would also reduce vibration from touching the camera, and you could move the scope to follow a walking/swimming bird.
Horukuro that is super website from Borneo, birding must be so exciting there.

Last edited:
I got my P5100 also from Amazon for £176 or whatever - its from Belgium, but so is Amazon UK these days (or Luxembourg) The important thing is it is not a "grey" import like say from China. Its from the EU so full worldwide guarantee etc. I also got a 4gb SDHC Class 6 (Transcend) including reader for about £13 - card only would be about £9!

FYI, there wil apparently shortly be Class 8 and 10 (google search) with up to 16gb

The card speed makes a lot of difference in the camera save time. SD cards were rated as speed versus a CD read/writer. SDHC are rated as pure mb/sec. That review doesn't seem to make it clear that save time is dependent on card speed . . .

There is a very good explanation on SD and SDHC speeds on Wikipedia - search "Secure Digital".

A google search wil give some "amazing" (sic) prices for SD or SDHC cards. I wouldn't buy a normal SD for the P5100 as it takes SDHC no probs.

As soon as the bigger/faster cards come down in price I'll get another . . .

Mike

Hi all,

I have a ED82, P5100 with FSB6 and DS30x. But I would like to get more zoom, for viewing and digiscoping. Which do you recommend: 50XDS or 20-60 DS? Both are compatible with FSB6?

Thanks!!!

Hello Glimmer

I have the same gear apart from the adaptor which I made.
I do have the 50XDS and 20-60 as well as the 30XDS

The 20-60 I have never really got to grips with for digiscoping, so got the 50X to try for more reach.

The 50x requires very accurate alignment on the adaptor, if you are accurate then there is no vignetting at all, I have managed to achieve this ok. How well it would work with the fsb6 I don't know.

Of course when using the 50x there will be more problems with vibration, but the P5100 seems to cope very well with VR on. And also heat shimmer will be a problem to, especially down there in Spain.

If you have not already seen any of my photos taken with the 50x, have a look at page 4 near the bottom and also all of page 5 and 6 on my website.

http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

Best Wishes

Malc

Hello Glimmer

I have the same gear apart from the adaptor which I made.
I do have the 50XDS and 20-60 as well as the 30XDS

The 20-60 I have never really got to grips with for digiscoping, so got the 50X to try for more reach.

The 50x requires very accurate alignment on the adaptor, if you are accurate then there is no vignetting at all, I have managed to achieve this ok. How well it would work with the fsb6 I don't know.

Of course when using the 50x there will be more problems with vibration, but the P5100 seems to cope very well with VR on. And also heat shimmer will be a problem to, especially down there in Spain.

If you have not already seen any of my photos taken with the 50x, have a look at page 4 near the bottom and also all of page 5 and 6 on my website.

http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

Best Wishes

Malc

Many thanks Malc.

Yes, I have visited your gallery and also read the whole thread, so the problems related to vignetting, heat shimmer... are known for me. With FSB6 alignemt is supposed not to be a problem (I think)

I have just read that 20-60DS is not compatible with FSB6, is it true? I don't know if i would miss a zoom eyepiece in the case i purchase 50x DS, specially for only viewing (50x will ba mainly for viewing, but i would like to digiscope sometimes too)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Glimmer

I am pretty sure you cant use the zoom with the FSB6, Perhaps someone can confirm this.

I use the 50xDS for viewing only as well, I prefer it to the zoom, but unless you have a red dot finder or similar, you may have a problem finding the bird in the scope, same can be said when digiscoping with the 50xDS.

Malc

P5100 Newbie Help?

Though I thought I knew something about cameras, digiscoping is foreign territory..

I have the
Nikon P5100 plus Swarovski ATS80HD scope and Sw zoom 20 -60x and DCA adapter

I have read most of this P5100 thread and tried to glean appropriate settings, but I have focus issues with my setup. Most often the camera gives 3 short beeps as an error warning when I press the shutter. I've tried most every focus setting/combination. Occasionally it will take a picture but its way soft.

I'm beginning to question the basics:
-The DCA adapter, for instance, came with no instructions. Do you place it all the way down with the eyepiece in its extended position, or in the 'down' position?
-and that 20-60x eyepiece, I've read that it isn't the best for digiscoping, yet at least one post had nice pictures supposedly taken with the same rig I have..

I do find that I have to zoom most of the way to get rid of vignetting even at the 20x position.

Its a bright sunny day, -it shouldn't get any easier than this.

Your kind assistance is so appreciated, I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple?

Hi Wanna

Hang on in there and someone with the same gear will help you.

I don't have the same gear, but it sounds like the distance of the camera lens to the eyepiece glass is not right. I would have thought the eyepiece should be in the down position, and the DCA slid on the eyepiece to give you less than 1/4 inch gap between the fully extended camera lens and the eyepiece glass.

The camera settngs I use on the P5100 are as below.
Use as little zoom on the camera and eyepiece as possible to start with.
I think you refer to Neil who has the same gear, and produces remarkable pictures, as do others.

P5100

Setup Menu

Not all settings listed, only the important ones.

Brightness 5
VR On
AF assist Off
Digital Zoom Off

Shooting Menu

Image Quality Fine
Image size 12m
Optimize Image Custom…….Contrast 0……..Sharpening 0……Saturation 0
White Balance Auto
Iso 200 max, have used 400 with ok results.
Metering Spot
Continuous Continuous
Auto Bracket Off
AF area mode Manual
Auto Focus mode Full time
Flash control Off
Fixed aperture Off
Noise reduction Auto
Converter Off
Distortion Off

Whatever you do, don't give up, you have the best scope and camera, and you should get good results.

Malc

Although a Kowa scope with DA10 I got this this afternoon with the P5100 /UR-E20/28mm step down/up on the DA10 on the Kowa 20-60 eyepiece. Camera zoom at max optical - 4x? and eyepiece at about 25x. The DA10 equiv to DCA was bedded right on to eyepiece as far as would go

Mostly similar settings to Malc but this was using infinity focus, aperture, (max at 5.3) which gave 125th sec speed. 3 sec timer and I'm sure the scope hadn't stopped moving - but also this was taken through some none too clean double glazing!. I'm beginning to feel it might all come together. i'm not sure if I'm getting similar with single auto focus. Its clearly still got blur, either from focus (lack of) or shake, but I have ordered a cable release adapter now - the squeeze shutter isn't working for me . .

So what should I try next?

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0043 (2).jpg
    DSCN0043 (2).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 169
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back