• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon prostaff 7s 8 x 42 vs Nikon monarch 7 8 x 42 (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
Morning all

I'm looking to replace a pair of Delta s 10 x 42 which I dropped onto concrete at the weekend. Although a costly mistake I can't say that I am sad to see them go - never really felt that they were easy to use, they were soft off centre which I found disconcerting, looking at anything other than straight down the middle made it look like I needed to adjust the dioptre.

The Deltas were a replacement for a pair of Opticron 8 x 32 travellers which were also dropped (don't say anything :-C) and smashed up badly. That WAS heart breaking, I was very happy with them.

So looking around at cheaper options due to the recurring theme (concrete) I can pick up the prostaff from HDEW for £155 but I can't find a stockist where I can try them first. Anybody prepared to give me some advice on where they stand compared to the 2 I have consigned to optic heaven?

HDEW do have the Monarch 7 at £229. Now they are obviously better but would I really notice the difference if I do stick to my guns and go for the cheaper pair?

Just bear in mind that there is a piece of concrete out there waiting for me 3:)3:)

Paul,

It's several years since I tried the Delta range so probably shouldn't comment on those. The latest version of the Traveller, the Mg Black, I rather like. It's lost it's hinge lock but gained a price reduction which is good news.

I was a bit critical of the Monarch 7 8x42 when it was launched. Pleased to say they appeared to have ironed out a couple of the wrinkles and it's a better binocular now. £229 sounds a real bargain, it started out at over £400. The Prostaff 7s is a very capable binocular at that price, but the wider view and better colour and contrast of the M7 is worth the extra in my opinion.

Good luck.

David

You will definitely see the difference between their FOVs. The Prostaff 7S has a 6.5º FOV and the Monarch 7 has an 8º FOV. That works out to 341'@1000 yards versus 420'@1000 yards.

Eye relief on the Prostaff is 19.5mm and on the Monarch it is 17.1mm. Close focus on the Prostaff is a long 4 meters and on the Monarch it is 2.5 meters.

If you try them both you should notice these differences.

Bob

Paul,

£229 sounds a real bargain, it started out at over £400. The Prostaff 7s is a very capable binocular at that price, but the wider view and better colour and contrast of the M7 is worth the extra in my opinion.

Good luck.

David

Just looked at HDEW again and they are only Monarch 5 that they sell. Bu99er :smoke:

Need to track down a pair of the prostaff to try out.

Thanks David

Paul:

I have experience with the Nikons mentioned, and they are all designed well at their
price points. Any of these will do the job for you.

That means, PS7, Monarch 5, Monarch 7. Good, better and best.

I recommend starting with the Prostaff, it may do just what you want. See if you can compare these,
and with experience you will find the better glass is more enjoyable and worth it.

Jerry

I've been looking at the second hand market George but not really come across anything that I consider a good deal. I'm not saying that is a bad deal but for another £40 I could buy a pair with a guarantee valid for another 29 years and 6 months - notwithstanding the obvious accident risks

199 pounds is less money, but I agree with you, for the 40 pound difference I would also buy new :)

Good luck with your search,

George

Just an update, couldn't find anybody stocking the Prostaff locally so went to my local In-focus (I am lucky in that I have one a couple of miles away), tried out 5 different pairs and bought a pair of Hawke 8x32 for £159. I did try the updated Opticron Traveller too but felt the view was too restricted in comparison.

Shame I couldn't try the Nikon but thanks for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back