• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NIKON Sky & Earth 80mm (1 Viewer)

goldfinch

[/COLOR]Hello,

Has anyone reviewed or used the Nikon Sky & Earth 80mm model?

Priced with 20-60x eyepiece in US for $500 (B&H Photo).

I would imagine it would be "brighter" than the 60mm model;
(priced out at about $150-$175 with 20x eyepiece).

I'd really like to stay within the $400-$600 range (including eyepiece);
and either a really "bright" 60mm or good 80mm ED lens...

any suggestions?

goldfinch said:
[/COLOR]Hello,

Has anyone reviewed or used the Nikon Sky & Earth 80mm model?

Priced with 20-60x eyepiece in US for $500 (B&H Photo).

I would imagine it would be "brighter" than the 60mm model;
(priced out at about $150-$175 with 20x eyepiece).

I'd really like to stay within the $400-$600 range (including eyepiece);
and either a really "bright" 60mm or good 80mm ED lens...

any suggestions?

There are a few mentions on this forum - search for "sky and earth" using the quotation marks to force the search for the whole phrase. Here is one link - why not send a PM to the sender?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=10469&highlight=sky+and+earth

I think the Nikon Sky and Earth is available under a different name in the UK - if you can find out its equivalent over here, I might have a review in my files I can email to you.

scampo said:
I think the Nikon Sky and Earth is available under a different name in the UK - if you can find out its equivalent over here, I might have a review in my files I can email to you.

No, my Nikon 60mm RAII came in a box marked with Earth and Sky on the sides. It came from Ace Cameras and I think they sell only UK stock. Oh yes, just time to mention that I selling it and it's still available at a very reasonable price ... :hi: (I have no shame!)

Nikon 80mm Sky & Earth

Hello again Steve,

I checked the name and specs... the scope comes in 80mm straight
and 80mm angled... both water resistant but not waterproof..

I've seen it listed as "Sky & Earth 80mm" and also "80mm RAii"

multilayer coated lens, with o ring seals
built-in lens hood
rubber armour
waterproof stay on case
included in price is a 20-60 Nikon zoom

advertised as "high quality Nikon optics at low production cost"

current 60mm RAii eyepieces are compatible:
(20x on 60mm becomes 27x on the 80mm)

Leif, on this forum, is selling this scope. It is a budget model and I found the eyepieces less easy to use than more expensive models. As always, sadly, you get what you pay for in general, but here, you can be assured of a bright and very sharp image. Nikon make lovely optics, so it would be a good buy.

If you can stretch your budget further, a good buy would be the Nikon Fieldscope III with a 30x wide lens. Also, Kowa make some fine scopes at very good prices - the 600 series are very fine, especially with their 30xW lens.

Opticron make fine scopes (they put their name on and have them made in China and elsewhere) - theirs ES80HD is a particularly good scope with either their 30xW or the excellent 20-60x zoom; they also sell a fine 60mm smaller scope - HR66 and HR66ED - many people have bought them from Opticron UK, who are happy to ship them to the States.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve,

I did see the scope that Leif mentioned... 60mm.

The Nikon Sky & Earth that I'm looking into, is 80mm... it has
multi-coated lenses but I'm sure they are not ED otherwise it
would be advertised as such.

I'm still looking at various ones and just need to make my mind up!

Linda

Nikon use their own ED coating rather than fluorite. The EDIII is Nikon's top scope in a smaller format. The scope has been out for a while now and I would be surprised if a new model weren't in the wings, but the EDIII is still a very fine birding scope that can also be used for digiscoping, if you ever want to pursue that side of this hobby.

In reviewing the Nikon against two much more costly alternatives, the Swarovski ETS65HD and the Zeiss 65T*, a respected Finnish reviewer said:

"The performance of this trio was quite even, and I find myself unable to give an absolute recommendation for the best choice. "

An American reviewer, who had previously found the Nikon the best small scope, went on to describe the new (and more expensive) Swarovski as edging it from its throne:

"The Swarovski sets a new standard in compact scopes, and earns the 'Better View Desired Best All Around Birding Scope' award, dethroning (at long last) the Nikon 60mm EDIII Fieldscope, and edging out the Zeiss 65."

goldfinch said:
Thanks, Steve,

I did see the scope that Leif mentioned... 60mm.

The Nikon Sky & Earth that I'm looking into, is 80mm... it has
multi-coated lenses but I'm sure they are not ED otherwise it
would be advertised as such.

I'm still looking at various ones and just need to make my mind up!

Linda
The 80mm is the one Leif has, I think. If you can afford it, I'd push a little higher and look at the Fieldscope III and similar scopes (Kowa, for example - also, I don't know the American prices, but the Leica 62 Apo-Televid or Zeiis 65T* might be also be reasonable - but not in the UK).

The Sky and Earth series is very good value but I think you would be changing the scope again after just a year or two, whereas a Fieldscope III, Kowa, Leica or Zeiss would be good enough for years to come.

Last edited:
Just a note that the little 60 Nikon does indeed deliver on quality of optics and operation. I've owned mine now for 2 years. Nikon optics seem crystal clear. This scope appeared to show a Rock Pigeon across the street from the store slightly better than did the classic Bushnell Spacemaster II, which I'd owned previously and was originally inclined to buy a 2nd time.

The angled eyepiece I chose on my Nikon has also been more than satisfactory. With practice, it can be used quickly. I frequently follow flying ducks or eagles with this scope.

The folks above are right about Nikon's bashfulness regarding names. It calls this scope by half a dozen names. I just checked the scope itself right now, and noticed it says absolutely nothing but "Nikon" on it! Strange marketing!

I like this little beauty for its easy portability. I have 2 tripods: my standard one and a lightweight tripod which is less stable but lets me take the scope when weight is really a factor.

I realize you're looking at the bigger guys. I thought I'd supply this just in case you wanted to extrapolate. Yes, I'd be very happy to buy a Nikon again. Good luck!

scampo said:
The 80mm is the one Leif has, I think. If you can afford it, I'd push a little higher and look at the Fieldscope III and similar scopes (Kowa, for example - also, I don't know the American prices, but the Leica 62 Apo-Televid or Zeiis 65T* might be also be reasonable - but not in the UK).

The Sky and Earth series are very good value but I think you would be changing it again after just a few years, whereas a Fieldscope III, Kowa, Leica or Zeiss would be good enough for years to come.

Steve: It is the 60mm RAII that I have. This is not as good as the 60mm Fieldscope III, but then again it does cost less.

I bought my Earth and Sky scope to see whether or not I liked using a scope. It was not expensive, so I would not lose much money if I had found that I preferred to bird with bins alone. I think this is not a bad approach. I am now upgrading to a scope costing 4x as much having owned the scope for 2 years. I don't regret the purchase as I have had some use from it, and learnt a bit. One point to note is that I think I made the right choice to go for the fixed eyepiece rather than the zoom. On cheap scopes the fixed eyepieces are much better than the zooms, though less flexible of course. (This is of course a subjective judgement on my part.)

The most notable failing of the RAII is the lack of contrast compared with an expensive scope such as the Nikon Fieldscope III ED. The latter will show more detail than the RAII in low light when used at the same magnification even though the objectives are the same size. Otherwise the image is quite decent, esp. for the price. You tend to get what you pay for.

I think Carson is referring to the Nikon Fieldscope III (ED?).

Sorry about my mistake, Leif, I should have looked back on the thread.

Yes - you get what you pay for (except at present Warehouse Express do have some bargains - Nikon ED78 for less than half its original price; I'm pointing my brother in that direction again - he already bought a pair of 10x36 Nikon Sporters for his wife from them).

Well, I looked up my scope in my "data" file, seeing as the scope itself is shy about its model number. Leif, it is actually the lesser RA, the RA II, aka Sky & Earth. The Sky & Earth name was really just a sales name, I remember now, and, because the scope is often bought as a spotting scope, I think Nikon wondered if they'd chosen the right name.

And, also like Leif, I bought the scope partly for the cost factor. I spent more on my binoculars, which I wanted to be the best for me that I could find. The scope was supposed to be lightweight enough to carry a long way in adverse conditions, plus I wanted it cheap enough to not be a devastating loss if it were stolen in Costa Rica.

As far as the optical quality, it is very good; perhaps the most cost efficient in terms of quality.

There is one problem with any spotting scope; and it is not really so much a problem with binoculars:

You can spend a zillion dollars on a scope that will show you the best definition and the best lighting at the greatest distance--and your shorebird will still insist on feeding ten feet beyond that distance just after sunset. Of course the better scope will see more shorebirds for you, but you'll ALWAYS be straining for light and definition, even if the bird you're viewing is only showing its head and neck above the curvature of the earth!

-- This obvious constraint works as an argument for getting the best scope that money can buy. Of course, it works just about as well as an argument for getting the most cost-efficient scope, that is easier to carry. I suppose, if I were very rich, I would own both scopes, just as I own both tripods [above].

Binoculars come with a real advantage: the birder's own feet! You can WALK CLOSER, an absolutely amazing advantage that opens up all sorts of possibilities. I shall always see my very best with binoculars, although I just love those pretty-as-a-picture scope views too.

As for "Toothpick Birds," as I call those so distant in your scope that they look like stick-drawings, I find them hard work and not so much fun. Don't misinterpret that; I still enjoy stretching my skills to match what the scope might see. But there are no Toothpick Birds on my life list; I write them up but I don't number them.

Good optical equipment might be rainproof and fogproof. It seldom comes wishful-thinking-proof. The most powerful scope, and a birder's ability to resolve Toothpick Birds, are a useful team in a technical bird study, where aesthetics are less an objective than is the gleaning of every scrap of data possible. In the Auto-DNA-Checking-Enhanced scopes of tomorrow, should a field biologist succumb to wishful thinking, the scope will automatically open a little door through which a large boxing glove will emerge very quickly to ensure our birder's imagination should never exceed the telescope's cool & VERY precise resolving powers.

These scopes will be available as your basic DNA model, and your top-of-the-line DNA (WTP) model. WTP, for Wishful-Thinking-Proof, is the one that comes with the airbag-like boxing glove.

-- A steady tripod is recommended, so, should the wishful thinking be on your part, it is not your girlfriend, standing next to you, whose nose should suffer for it.

Last edited:
Carson said:
I just checked the scope itself right now, and noticed it says absolutely nothing but "Nikon" on it! Strange marketing!

My Fieldscope EDIII says "Nikon Waterproof" on one side (but very small), and "Nikon Fieldscope ED" on the other side (and more legible). You can also consider it to be a sign of class if you don't need to have a flashy label on your product.

I think only Nikon's inexpensive ranges have different names around the world. So far as I can see, the Fieldscopes (III / 78 and the new 82) all have the same name.

nikon scope

Carson said:
Just a note that the little 60 Nikon does indeed deliver on quality of optics and operation. I've owned mine now for 2 years. Nikon optics seem crystal clear. This scope appeared to show a Rock Pigeon across the street from the store slightly better than did the classic Bushnell Spacemaster II, which I'd owned previously and was originally inclined to buy a 2nd time.

The angled eyepiece I chose on my Nikon has also been more than satisfactory. With practice, it can be used quickly. I frequently follow flying ducks or eagles with this scope.

The folks above are right about Nikon's bashfulness regarding names. It calls this scope by half a dozen names. I just checked the scope itself right now, and noticed it says absolutely nothing but "Nikon" on it! Strange marketing!

I like this little beauty for its easy portability. I have 2 tripods: my standard one and a lightweight tripod which is less stable but lets me take the scope when weight is really a factor.

I realize you're looking at the bigger guys. I thought I'd supply this just in case you wanted to extrapolate. Yes, I'd be very happy to buy a Nikon again. Good

luck!

Hi, I was wondering if you wear glasses and how you found the eye relief.
Thanks.
Tournesol

You must try yourself to check this - I have the Nikon ED82 and I wear specs for long-sightedness. It has 14+mm of eye relief, but I can see the complete field of view with the zoom at lower magnifications; my son has the Swaro 65HD with zoom, with a 16+ mm eye relief and I can barely see the full field.

So... figures mean one thing, practice means another. The only way is to try for yourself, I think.

Last edited:
tournesol, I do wear glasses. When I'm birding seriously, though, I wear contact lenses.

Before I had contacts, for aboutc 35 years I lifted my glasses up with one hand, and raised the binoculars with the other. Then I held the binoculars between my left fingers and right palm (more or less).

I could catch a hummingbird in flight that way. Like anything, it was very very fast after the first 10,000 times.

I never have liked looking through glasses through binoculars. I love having the entire field. However, with film photography, I must wear glasses or else the picture will be out of focus.

I agree with Scampo entirely, however. It's very good to understand the rules. But, once you know the theory, let your own experience be your guide. (That's the long way of saying, "Do it YOUR way!")

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back