• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noisy sparrow on top of my roof driving me mad! (1 Viewer)

Denise M

United Kingdom
There's a sparrow on top of my roof that has been screeching non-stop from first thing in the morning until the birds' bed-time. That's about 14 hours, and has been going on every single day for the last couple of weeks. It's driving me insane - even when the doors and windows are closed I can hear it. How can such a little thing make such a racket? How long will I have to put up with this?

It will be a male who thinks he has a good nesting spot trying to attract a mate. As for how long who knows, if he finds a mate he will stop if not he could go on for weeks!

Hi Denise and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Are you sure it's a Sparrow, they don't usually make that much noise? However, it is likely to be a fledgling that is asking for food from the parents. This stage usually passes after a few days.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

... or, as Mono says! Either are possible at this time of year.

Hi Denise and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Are you sure it's a Sparrow, they don't usually make that much noise? However, it is likely to be a fledgling that is asking for food from the parents. This stage usually passes after a few days.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you, Delia - Definitely a sparrow - I can see it! I think as it's at the tip of the roof which overlooks the gap between two houses, the noise seems to echo making it worse. The thing that puzzles me is that if it goes on all day, day after day, surely he should have met a mate by now? Also, it hardly ever takes a break - don't sparrows get sore throats?! I've always had bird feeders + fat balls in my back garden; I suspect it goes away for a quick nibble and then goes straight back for more screeching! It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't sound like it was in distress.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back