• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nor Marsh/Motney Hill (1 Viewer)

Andy Ledger

Falling into disrepair
Do any other Kent birders visit this location much? It's right on my doorstep, and I rarely see any other birders there these days.

Birds I've seen recently there are:

Cuckoo
Marsh Harrier
Hobby
Bullfinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Cetti's Warbler (heard - elusive little blighter)
Reed Bunting
Turtle Dove
Collared Dove
Whitethroat
Kestrel
Redshank
Black Tailed Godwit
Teal
Shelduck
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Swallow
Long tailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Lesser Black back Gull
Herring Gull
Black headed Gull
Common Tern
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Starling
Jackdaw
Crow
Rook
Magpie
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Grey Plover
Sparrowhawk
Skylark
Linnet
Robin

I've also seen Brent Geese, Greylags, Pintail, Shovelers and other bits and bobs there in the past, and once there was even a seal when the tide was right in. Like a lot of Kent locations, the access is totally public, and is sometimes blighted by dumped stolen cars and yoblets on off-road bikes, but on the whole it's a great spot. Estuary to one side of Motney Hill Road, reedbeds to the other, with trees and a little nature reserve. It's also good for wild flowers, but I'll save that list for myself (unless anyone is really interested).

Last edited:
I've been there a few times,though not recently....find it better in bad weather,not so many dog-walkers about!
A nice site though,with a good mix of birds.
Interesting to see Marsh Warbler on your list...was it a recent sighting?...it doesn't figure on the species checklist I picked up from the Visitors Centre,but that is probably out of date.

It was within the last couple of months - the notebook says 21/06/04. It's not a heavily watched area, and I'd have appreciated a second pair of eyes on it. It was in the right sort of habitat, and I spent about 20 minutes trying to get a good view of it, but I managed to see the leg colour, bill, etc, but not all necessarily at the same time. I'm pretty sure it was a Marsh Warbler. If I could get a picture of it I'd put it on here for a second opinion, but I'm not geared up for digi-scoping (yet - it looks fun).

I know what you mean about dog walkers, though.

Last edited:
Used to go there regularly when i lived down the road in Burham. Saw distant black terns one year - nice of the guy at the end of the spitto point them out.

Too many dog walkers. If I'm out that way now I prefer Cliffe. Oare and Elmley

Steve

I go there because it's a 10 minute drive away. I am slightly dubious about Cliffe because of the problems it's had. I suspect that picking your times to visit is necessary, though I've been out there on occasions at work - until the barriers went up (which must be a good thing). Elmley is good, though. I think the fact that it's a long bumpy drive even to the car park, then a sizeable yomp to the first hides has been a distinct deterrent to yobs. My Mum used to live in Eccles, btw - and that was where I saw my first Long Tailed Tit.

Hello Andy, Motney Hill is one of my regular haunts, more so Autumn,Winter and Spring. I'm usualy there too early for dog walkers, have seen plenty of species there inc' one of the Cetti's that i got a fair digi pic of. Also this year a pair of Cuckoos the female of the chestnut veriety. Seen Marsh Harriers passing over on occassion. Huge flock of Linnets last Autumn/Winter, seen the occassional Birder even a little flock once (4).
As for Cliffe Pools I usualy park at cottages bottom of salt lane, not seen many "neds"? again there very early, though once gave a freindly wave to a car that must have been there most of night, and got a one finger salute back lol not. At present have fallen for Elmley Saturdays (sunrise - 9ish) then Cliffe, Riverside or Motney Sundays. Will make and post a Motney List if your interested.

You've SEEN a Motney Cetti's? Lucky so-and-so! I've only ever heard one down there! The last time I was down there was a few weeks ago, and it was fairly quiet, but still a nice change from being at work.

Cliffe has improved a bit, I think, in terms of 'ned' pollution. I saw a Barn Owl there a few months ago, at dusk - at one point it was flying straight towards me, and then it veered off. Work used to take me down there quite a bit, but I think I'll have to go in my own time more from now on.

I used to live in Motney Hill road so know it very well, I get all around that area very often mainly with my camera and long lens, I have taken some fantastic shots of linnets, green finches etc, not to mention the adders, its a great spot, but you do have to watch your footing for the dog poo!, I also go to Elmely, Oare and Cliffe, I think my favorite is Elmely or out by boat down Stangate Creek or Deadmans Island on the river Medway.

Do any other Kent birders visit this location much? It's right on my doorstep, and I rarely see any other birders there these days.

Birds I've seen recently there are:

Cuckoo
Marsh Harrier
Hobby
Bullfinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Cetti's Warbler (heard - elusive little blighter)
Reed Bunting
Turtle Dove
Collared Dove
Whitethroat
Kestrel
Redshank
Black Tailed Godwit
Teal
Shelduck
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Swallow
Long tailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Lesser Black back Gull
Herring Gull
Black headed Gull
Common Tern
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Starling
Jackdaw
Crow
Rook
Magpie
Grey Heron
Little Egret
Grey Plover
Sparrowhawk
Skylark
Linnet
Robin

I've also seen Brent Geese, Greylags, Pintail, Shovelers and other bits and bobs there in the past, and once there was even a seal when the tide was right in. Like a lot of Kent locations, the access is totally public, and is sometimes blighted by dumped stolen cars and yoblets on off-road bikes, but on the whole it's a great spot. Estuary to one side of Motney Hill Road, reedbeds to the other, with trees and a little nature reserve. It's also good for wild flowers, but I'll save that list for myself (unless anyone is really interested).
Motney Hill is my father-in-law's local patch; he's been going there since he was a child and he's in his mid 60s now. He goes there two or three times a week and I've gone with him several times over the past few years.

The dog walkers can be a problem but - that aside - we've seen a good variety of birds over the years: shelduck are almost always a given, and the usual wildfowl and waders are often there in abundance. More recently, he's seen a pair of marsh harriers over the reedbed; a peregrine falcon and a barn owl. He's hoping the marsh harriers will nest...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back