• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Nordic Jackdaw" (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Found this today in Ramsey on the NE corner of the IOM, thought it might be of interest.
Presumably of the race monedula.

Attachments

• Monedula240111a.jpg
    Monedula240111a.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Monedula240111h.jpg
    Monedula240111h.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Monedula240111i.jpg
    Monedula240111i.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Monedula240111k.jpg
    Monedula240111k.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 136
with the level of dappling on the breast and strong collar it may even be a candidate for soemmerringii, especially as the colour of the mantle and breast are quite light. 'Nordic' should be darker with a less distinct grey collar and intermediate fringing on the feathers. Spermologus would be even darker with little obvious fringing of the feathers. I would suggest that the bird it is with is a Nordic Jackdaw or intergrade (they actually breed as close as the dutch/german border). There used to be a really good webpage on their seperation but this seems to have been pulled.

Last edited:
with the level of dappling on the breast and strong collar it may even be a candidate for soemmerringii,.

It's a nice thought, but if BBRC won't accept soemmerringii unless ringed at the nest and subsequently trapped in GB, I seriously doubt it's worthy of a submission as a 1st for Britain!
Did you mean this webpage?
If so, it would suggest my initial ID of monedula is correct anyway.

But thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
It's a nice thought, but if BBRC won't accept soemmerringii unless ringed at the nest and subsequently trapped in GB, I seriously doubt it's worthy of a submission as a 1st for Britain!
Did you mean this webpage?
If so, it would suggest my initial ID of monedula is correct anyway.

But thanks for commenting.

Thats the one...

The fact that BBRC wont accept without a ringing recovery doesnt mean that its not a good candidate - that collar is very extensive and as its effectively a cline your right - calling it anything other than monedula is unsafe but phenotypically this is an extreme example which is why I suggested soemmerringii as a possibility. Definitely from at least as far east as monedula.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back