• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (1 Viewer)

Hopefully Hoverfly numbers will pick up as more Hogweed comes into flower. Plus when people come to photograph the Silver-washed Fritillaries there may well be some hoverflies in the background that can be ID'd with a bit of research.

I have been asked to assist with a hoverfly survey at Holt Country Park. The boundaries and topography of the Park are as shown on this map: https://www.northnorfolk.org/files/HCPOrienteering.pdf.

Please note that the Lowes (http://www.holtlowes.org.uk/Lowes location.html) are not included, as they are separate from the Park.

My efforts to date have been largely photographic- and of the larger, more attractive and easier (!) species. Recently, Volucella inflata (below) has been seen, for the second year in succession. This year, though, insects have not been exactly plentiful at this site, with the strange ‘summer’ that we’ve had so far.

Please email records, with photos, where possible, to the co-ordinating Ranger: [email protected]. NB: these may well take a few days to be acknowledged, as they 'filter through' the system.

Thank you.

Here's a picture of the Egyptian Grasshopper - hope I've uploaded it ok - Since found out its the second Norfolk record - First was at Taverham in 2012 - Holkham one was removed from walled garden after initial 'fears' that it might be a Locust and it might chomp its way through all the plants there

Nice one, well done for following up the report. I will let my colleague know that she assisted with finding a second for Norfolk, even if she says she was repulsed by it!!

It was shortly after the Saharan dust came North so I suspect it rode the same winds, however it arrived its a great record. I suspect by 'removed' it is no longer in the land of the living.

Hoverfly survey at Holt Country Park #2

Attached is the beginning of a list- based on records from Holt Hall surveys and the location of the 'NR25'.

I've begun to fill in some species, but put it here as a guide to what needs to be done- almost everything !

Please see #120 for further.

Attachments

• Hoverfly Checklist for Holt Country Park as at June 2015.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 143
Volucella hoverflies

For anyone wanting to develop an interest in hoverflies, now is a good time to see four of the five Volucella species, some of our biggest and easiest to identify species.

Volucella zonaria "Hornet-mimic hoverfly" -so called because of its large size and orangey-yellow colouration. Has a chestnut coloured thorax and upper abdomen markings.
Volucella inanis - similar to the above species but a bit smaller. The thorax is never chestnut-coloured, and the upper abdomen markings are rectangular and yellow.
Volucella inflata - A bit similar to V. pellucens, but instead of a pale band there are two big yellowy-orange semi-circles that almost meet in the middle on the upper half of the abdomen.
Volucella pellucens "Great Pied Hoverfly" - another large hoverfly, with a pale cream or white band across the abdomen and thick black marks on the wings

All of the photos here were taken in the past week, and these species can be found in gardens, parks, woodland etc. Buddleia, Bramble flowers and Hogweed are particular good plants to check.

The fifth Volucella (V. bombylans) has two forms and is quite a good bumblebee mimic, but I think earlier in the year is better for them.

Attachments

• Volucella zonaria.JPG
    Volucella zonaria.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Volucella inanis.JPG
    Volucella inanis.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Volucella inflata.jpg
    Volucella inflata.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 63
  • Volucella pellucens.JPG
    Volucella pellucens.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 59
Hoverfly Survey

Attached is the beginning of a list- based on records from Holt Hall surveys and the location of the 'NR25'.

I've begun to fill in some species, but put it here as a guide to what needs to be done- almost everything !

Please see #120 for further.

HRS list for NR21 shows 62 species too; I had about 95 last year so probably lots more in NR25 than shown here. Is the survey wanted just from photo's or are they happy for the odd specimen of little jobs to be taken for ID?

Cheers,
Dave

are they happy for the odd specimen of little jobs to be taken for ID?

Thanks for your interest in this, Daveb21.

Please contact the Ranger- details given in #120. The team has been both surprised and a little unhappy to see numbers of people wandering around with nets, without their being forewarned and such permission requested. (Considerations include the complaints of uninformed visitors and school parties.) It's mainly a matter of courtesy- and to avoid any conflict with existing activities within the Park. There should, then, be no problem.

As merely an interested outsider, with no official standing, I can only offer my advice.

Thanks for your interest in this, Daveb21.

Please contact the Ranger- details given in #120. The team has been both surprised and a little unhappy to see numbers of people wandering around with nets, without their being forewarned and such permission requested. (Considerations include the complaints of uninformed visitors and school parties.) It's mainly a matter of courtesy- and to avoid any conflict with existing activities within the Park. There should, then, be no problem.

As merely an interested outsider, with no official standing, I can only offer my advice.

Hi John,
Wouldn't do that at any site without prior permission anyway; don't get out that way much but will contact them if likely to be passing and see what they say.

Cheers,
Dave

Could someone help with identification of this please is it a long or short winged cone-head or something completely different.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 78
Hi Graham.

It is certainly either Long-winged or Short-winged Conehead, but the nymphs both have black stripes, which make them hard to separate. It has been suggested that quite a few of the photos on google images are either incorrectly labelled or labelled with excessive confidence from what can be seen, which doesn't help either.

With those caveats, I would suggest it is more likely to be Long-winged, partly because that species is commoner, and partly because the ovipositor looks quite striaght, whereas in Short-winged it would probably look slightly more curved by now.

Could someone help with identification of this please is it a long or short winged cone-head or something completely different.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back