• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Wales Birding (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Last year I decided that rather than haring off on trips all over the UK, I would instead focus my efforts more locally and have a go at a North Wales Yearlist. Of course, three months in and the wheels well and truly came off and I ended up limping to a rather pathetic 171, last addition being a Lapland Bunting on the beach at Llandudno (didn’t even catch up with Black Grouse or Pied Flycatcher).

This year I’ve fared a little better, made it to 196 with a recent run over to Llanrwst for Hawfinch, but with only one more day not in work before 31st I probably won’t move it on much more, if at all. The year’s highlights have included Elegant Tern, Pacific Golden Plover, Squacco Heron & Wilson’s Phalarope, filling in some more common species that I’d not seen in the region before, like Jack Snipe, Yellow-legged Gull, Egyptian Goose, Garganey etc, as well as a spanking sum plum Lapland Bunting at Hen Borth, point blank walk-away views of Dotterel on the Great Orme and a day-roosting Nightjar at Conwy RSPB, on the back of a plastic Heron!

So 2022 will be third time round, and with the first six days of the year off, then weather allowing I’ll be able to make serious inroads, and I should be able to push it over the 200 mark by the end of the year.

So I thought I’d start a thread to share my progress, but also for anyone else birding in the region to chip in.

Last day off of the year, a low octane bimble up to Rhuddlan, and Russian White-fronted Goose onto the yearlist, first three picked out amongst the Greylags, eventually five all told. Further on a Barnacle Goose with Canada will do as a cat C, and finally a glorious fly-by from a hunting Short-eared Owl puts the North Wales yearlist onto 199. Unless I can find a Woodcock by night that's where it'll stay.

I opted for a fairly gentle start to the year, down in the Bettisfield Salient, a jut of Wales that pokes into Shropshire, and so far as I am aware is the only relatively reliable site in the country for Corn Bunting. Started off taking a walk across Fenn's Moss, slowly logging common species, until I found what I was looking for, a Marsh Tit, tagging along with a bunch Long-tailed, and a species I'd failed to find in North Wales for the past two years.
Less luck with Corn Buntings, the best I managed was a large Finch flock just north of Northwood, frustratingly spending most of its time the far side of the hedge that marks the border with England (unusually, this is a spot where one looks west from Wales into England). A little patience was rewarded with a few Brambling in amongst the Chaffinches & Linnets perched up in hedgerow trees, mere feet inside the border. Goldeneye on Hamner Mere and Goosander on Gresford Flash on the way home bumped me up to 52 for the year.
Off after Geese tomorrow, up on the Clwyd.

Attachments

• IMG_20220101_203216.jpg
    IMG_20220101_203216.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220101_203236.jpg
    IMG_20220101_203236.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 20
Decent morning out before rain sent us home, in spite of the first item in our shopping list being absent first thing, namely the Goose flock at Rhuddlan. Picked up a few common year ticks and then decided to push on with our itinerary and try again later.
No problem at all locating the Angel Bay Iceland Gull, and then it was down to Penrhyn Bay. Nice group of Red-breasted Mergs, plenty of displaying going on, drake Eider by the western breakwater (I'd forgotten that was around till I saw it), then at least 10 Purple Sandpipers near Rhos Point, with the bright sunshine actually bringing out their purple highlights. Gannet and Great Northern Diver from the eastern breakwater, with a scattering of Ringed Plover on the breakwater itself, and then it was time to head back for the Geese.
Stopped at Pensarn on the way past to snaffle Common Scoter for the year, but as expected didn't locate either Surf or Velvet. That's a job for better conditions and no time constraints. The Greylag Geese were back when we arrived at Rhuddlan, but in far lower numbers than had been present on Monday. No White-fronts with them either, but a bit of scanning located all five of them in the next field along. Then before we could head off along the track for closer views they lifted, flew in, and plonked themselves in amongst the Greylags right in front of us. With Brickfields just around the corner it was only natural that we should swing by there for the Scaup next, which we found close on up at the north end. Cue rain, home & a late lunch, year list on 80.

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_141623.jpg
    IMG_20220102_141623.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220102_141439.jpg
    IMG_20220102_141439.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220102_141410.jpg
    IMG_20220102_141410.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220102_141325.jpg
    IMG_20220102_141325.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220102_141304.jpg
    IMG_20220102_141304.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 20
A really nice day on Anglesey yesterday, started at Benllech, where there was a drake Long-tailed Duck out in the bay, and at least three Great Northern Divers, but no sign of the Black Redstart around the car park. A few Black Guillemots and more Great Northern Divers at Beddmanarch but no Slavs. Caught up with one of those from the Cob at Inland Sea, where we found a couple of odd Rock Pipits, presumably littoralis, and had Peregrine over.
Finished the day down at the wonderful Cors Ddyga, hundreds of Shoveler and Teal, a few Pintail & Gadwall, a nice trio of Ruff and a couple of Marsh Harriers.
By now it was time to enjoy the Starlings coming in to roost, spectacular numbers sweeping in, and a shift change of the aerial hunters with a ringtail Hen Harrier coming in to roost and a Short-eared Owl heading off for the night,which just pushed the year list up to 100.
Having a lazy morning today, out later.

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_122857.jpg
    IMG_20220103_122857.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220103_183802.jpg
    IMG_20220103_183802.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 6
Kept local today, first pottered down to Shotwick Boating Lake whare I managed to pick out a distant Green Sandpiper, as well as seeing the Long-tailed Duck that's been here for a bit. Then a walk round to the rifle range to scan the Welsh portion of Burton Mere Wetlands, Pink-footed Geese overhead, a single Great White Egret on the floods, Mistle Thrush & Pied Wagtail all new for the year.
Next stop was Connah's Quay Nature Reserve, tide was super high. A small group of Whooper Swans was up by the Reserve HQ, and a single Spotted Redshank in amongst the masses of waders from West Hide. Checked as many of the little flocks of small Finches that were flitting around the saltmarsh as I could but all that I could positively ID were Linnets. Year list on 107.

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_145620.jpg
    IMG_20220104_145620.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 3
Started today at Llanrwst, where we didn't have to wait long for a Hawfinch to appear up in the top of one of the tall, bare trees on our side of the river, before dropping down into one of the Yews opposite us where it was swallowed up by greenery. Dipper past too. Then back-tracked to Llyn Brenig, delighted to see a female Merlin scudding across the road as we neared the Shrike site. A quick reflex dab of the brakes as it did so nearly had me skidding off the road after it! Bloody snow! No Shrike to start with, but Crossbills over, and after a while we decided to head over to the Nilig feeders for a bit, but the new fallen snow eventually put paid to that, had the car sliding all over the narrow, ungritted road. Back for another go at the Shrike and this time picked it up way in the distance. It moved perches a couple of times before departing. With the weather still fine we decided to head up for a potter round the Clwyd between Rhuddlan and the coast, picking up a couple of Golden Plover in with a Lapwing flock, a small flock of Skylarks at Horton's Nose and the Barnacle Goose in with the Greylags, along with at least three Russian White-fronts and a Pink-foot. Year list now on 115, and given the forecast I'll probably give it a miss tomorrow, have a lazy one.

Attachments

• IMG_20220105_100128.jpg
    IMG_20220105_100128.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220105_114953.jpg
    IMG_20220105_114953.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
Quite some going to be on 115 at this point. Nice to read about some welsh sites that I’ve never visited. Looks like a wider variety of species than down south right now but hopefully by the weekend I’ll kickstart my list a little

Good luck with the year list, sounds like you've made a good start already.
Can u give a bit more info on the Lapland Bunting on the beach in Llandudno?..

TIA, Mike from Llandudno! :)

Good luck with the year list, sounds like you've made a good start already.
Can u give a bit more info on the Lapland Bunting on the beach in Llandudno?..

TIA, Mike from Llandudno! :)
It was November 2020, think it was only there 2 or 3 days. Can dig out photos if you like.

Ta James, no photos needed, too upsetting lol. Not really, congrats on a good bird. Just wondering where it was. Along the prom?..

Ah right cheers, think i recall that now. Us lot on the North Shore don't venture onto the West Side turf very much...!

Been swinging by Dobshill on my way in to work so I can drop down through Rough Piece Wood before hitting the A55, has served me up Tawny Owl & Woodcock in the past. This morning the former launched itself from a low bough as I crawled past on high-beam - 116.

Cattle Egret was first up on Monday, in amongst a load of Littles in the morning gloom just north of Valley. Then headed over to Benllech to look for Black Redstart. As I headed towards the beach car park where the Redstart had been seen a Stoat skittered across the road in front of me, didn't much like the idea of heading down to the beach, skittered back across the road and up the hill, excellent views! No sign of the Redstart, a few bits and pieces out to sea, and a Red Squirrel dashing through the trees at the back of the car park.

Stopped at Conwy RSPB on the way home, Pochard was an easy year tick, and I spent a pleasant hour and a half walking the wooded paths, checking through the itty bitty flitties for Firecrest. No sign, but a smart looking Lesser Redpoll kept the list moving along.

A scan through the Scoters at Pensarn yielded nothing unusual, so I headed back home via Deeside Industrial Park for a trio Bewick's Swan (which I then had to go back for later with Arch after school because he wanted to see them. No hardship). List on 120.

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_151557.jpg
    IMG_20220110_151557.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220112_131845.jpg
    IMG_20220112_131845.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 14
I keep passing that Cattle Egret, I must remember to pull over! 🙂🤦‍♂️

Bettisfield Moss - last time I was there, I had a family party of Willow Tits, so worth keeping an eye out.

Keep up the posts. 👍

Last edited:
I keep passing that Cattle Egret, I must remember to pull over! 🙂🤦‍♂️

Bettisfield Moss - last time I was there, I had a family party of Willow Tits, so worth keeping an eye out.

Keep up the posts. 👍

Cheers jogresh

I do feel that the whole Bettisfield area would reward more scrutiny, Willow Tit was one of those species I'd hoped might be in the area (a friend has seen them recently in the area, just over the border in England). Each time I go looking for Corn Bunts I'll be having a bit more of a poke around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back