• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

north west scotland in july (1 Viewer)

deansmith

can anyone suggest some places of interest along the north west of scotland to visit in the middle of july, i have a family holiday from the 10th for 2 weeks and whilst all 4 of us are interested in birds and wildlife at different levels its been left to me to find some places that may be worth going so far i have only found handa island

This isnt a wildlife holiday so the places have to fit around the regular family holiday, so far the plan is travel up the west coast and visit the north of scotland and stay at 4 or 5 different places. though i belive Durness, Ullapool, and Arisaig are likely places we will be in or around.

thanks for your time

Hi Dean

Just a few ideas, I'm sure there'll be others chip in.

A day boat trip out from Ullapool to the Summer Isles would be lovely, as would a trip to the Outer Hebrides.

OK you've ticked Handa off (a must) but don't just take the ummm... 'main road' in and out; on the way back it's well worth the detour round by Fanagmore and Foindle.

At Durness there's a ferry to Cape Wrath and a bus will then take you to the Lighthouse. A great trip. Also at Durness is Smoo Cave. I love Durness.

D

can anyone suggest some places of interest along the north west of scotland to visit in the middle of july, i have a family holiday from the 10th for 2 weeks and whilst all 4 of us are interested in birds and wildlife at different levels its been left to me to find some places that may be worth going so far i have only found handa island

This isnt a wildlife holiday so the places have to fit around the regular family holiday, so far the plan is travel up the west coast and visit the north of scotland and stay at 4 or 5 different places. though i belive Durness, Ullapool, and Arisaig are likely places we will be in or around.

thanks for your time

There's a nice hide overlooking the bay at Scourie - red throated divers etc. Inverpolly is stunning scenically - greenshanks, divers, raptors, seabirds. At Balnakeil , walk out onto Faraid Head for puffin plus corncrakes nearby. The villages beyond Kinlochbervie good for machair. Most of the big lochs have black-throated divers. Golden eagle etc at Ben Hope.

If you pm me, I'll send you a sample chapter of my book to gove you some more ideas.

Gordon

thanks for your time

I was hoping to go up there last year, but finances and a broken car dictated otherwise! Handa Island looks like a must.

The whole area is part of a Geopark as the geology up there is some of the most important in Europe, with the oldest landscapes in the British mainland. There are some caves that were the remains of extinct animals were found and I think that's supposed to be a decent walk to them, and you may be lucky with the wildlife at the same time.

There's also Sandwood Bay, thought to be amongst the best beaches in the country, but remote, being a few miles from the nearest road.

Loch Stack holds Black-throated Diver, Dipper, Greenshank.

See here for more ideas: http://www.northwest-highlands-geopark.org.uk/index.html

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back