• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (5 Viewers)

I found the article very interesting James.

Somebody else posted the same article on the main "Birds and Birding" subforum and it near started a riot! Good to see we're more civilised on here;)

I got my first winter sighting of a Redpoll today with the vivid red head in the Hawthorn but gone by the time I got camera. I will be obsessed looking now till I see him again ................ and hoping for Siskins to return also.

Nice birds, good luck.

Lough Foyle

Greysteel:
Shelduck
Brent,
Female Smew,
Teal,
Curlew
Redshank
Oystercatcher
Reed Bunting

Myroe:
Tree Sparrow
Greenshank
Snipe
Merganser
Shelduck
Greylag 100+
Whitefront 26
Whooper 200+

Richard

Hi Richard here in morocco we are having exciting viewing. Cream coloured courser hoopoe lark. Thick billed lark. Lanner falcon. Trumpeter finch crimson winged finch levaillants woodpecker. Blk bellied sand grouse. House bunting. Southern greyshrike. Snowice wind n sunshine

Sounds great Norma, keep the camera clicking. Regards to everyone. I'm for a solo trip to Norfolk on Thursday till Saturday then to Cambridge.

Regards,

Richard

Lough Foyle

A couple of photos of Whoopers and Greylag at Myroe today.

Attachments

• Myroe-Whoopers1.jpg
    Myroe-Whoopers1.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Myroe-Whoopers-2.jpg
    Myroe-Whoopers-2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 54
Garden Birdwatching

I noticed a female Blackcap on the feeders this morning. Very difficult to photograph as it was easily disturbed. After resorting to sitting on the floor behind a tripod got these shots of the Blackcap and a Long Tailed Tit

Attachments

• Blackcap1.jpg
    Blackcap1.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Blackcap2.jpg
    Blackcap2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 66
  • LT-Tit1.jpg
    LT-Tit1.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 67
Planted a mixed hedge just over 3yrs ago mostly Hawthorne and some trees such as silver birch / rowan / apple etc. really pulling the birds in at the moment even though pretty bare leaf wise. Had a pair of Bullfinches in it this afternoon. Time to fill the feeders and see will they stay.

I noticed a female Blackcap on the feeders this morning. Very difficult to photograph as it was easily disturbed. After resorting to sitting on the floor behind a tripod got these shots of the Blackcap and a Long Tailed Tit

Indeed great pictures as I tried to photograph my male Blackcap and it was a dreadful snap. Their song is so beautiful and I set a Crab Apple tree to encourage them.

Somebody else posted the same article on the main "Birds and Birding" subforum and it near started a riot! Good to see we're more civilised on here;)

Nice birds, good luck.

I looked out today and could see a swarm of like big bumble bees coming towards my garden and it was my Redpolls ...................They are lovely birds who take their turn on the feeders calmly but the same cannot be said for Goldfinches who fight quite a bit with each other never mind trying to chase the Redpolls or anyone of the Niger feeder. I have counted well over 30 Redpolls in my garden at one time this year and over 20 Goldfinches but only 3 Siskins maximum at one time. I am not sure why the numbers increased so dramaticaly this year except the Daisyhill Woods beside me is full of them. I counted 12 in full breeding plumage in my garden this morning and try not to think about how many might arrive next year................at least they are tiny birds and very sweet. I havent seen all the lovely Redwings this week at all and wonder have they gone.

redwings

hi, ref redwings i am still seeing a few here in portadown. thats a great number of redpolls, i havent saw any as yet in my garden. i am getting up to 10 goldies. i saw my first swallow this year on thurs at oxford island. and the courting displays of grebe are great to watch.:eat:

Portmore Lough 3rd April

Plenty of Tree Sparrows, Great Crested Grebes performing courtship display. Female Hen Harrier, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Greylag Geese, Whooper Swans, Lapwing, Golden Plover.

My first time at Portmore and I was very impressed. Will definately go again.

Richard

Attachments

• GC-Grebe1.jpg
    GC-Grebe1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Grebes-2.jpg
    Grebes-2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 64
Drove to Aghagallon today to walk a stretch of the Ulster Canal. Cold and a bit damp so there was not a lot about, but had 65 Whooper swans in a field near Cranagh Bridge and on the return walk a swallow flew overhead!! It is always a special day when you get winter migrants which are still here and summer visitors which have just arrived. I would worry about what the swallow is going to feed on as there were not a lot of insects on the wing.

I was at the London Wetland Centre two weeks ago and would recommend it to anyone visiting London, as it is only a bus ride from Hammersmith tube station. I saw chiffchaff, little ringed plover, wheatear, sand martin, cetti's warbler and water pipit. It can be done in a half day if you are in the capital and I have had some good birds there as I am in London every eight weeks and try to get there for a couple of hours. Since last July I have seen hobby, water rail, bittern, jack snipe, kingfisher, GSW, green woodpecker and ring- necked parakeet. All these while in view of central London and Craven Cottage flodlights!!

Last edited:
Is the Wetland centre on the Thames probably as my granchilds father has mentioned somewhere great on the Thames to see birds.
I saw the lovely Redwings yesterday so not gone.

Is the Wetland centre on the Thames probably as my granchilds father has mentioned somewhere great on the Thames to see birds.
I saw the lovely Redwings yesterday so not gone.

Yes it used to be a reservoir for the London area but was given to the WWT about ten years ago and is a really good site and well worth half a day if you are in London. There is lots for kids to do as well + cafe + shop etc etc.

went to rathlin island for a couple days over easter. i have listed what i saw that i know, and there where other things i didnt know. day 1. oystercatcher 86,shelduck 2, ringed plover 2, curlew 1, buzzard 3, turnstone 1, redshank 1, skylark 2, 8 pair eider, raven 2, meadow pipit 4, sparrows 15, pied wag 2, robin 10, chaff 10, auk 2, commorant 12 shag 6, gannett 2, black guillemot 6, also 50 seals and 12 irish hare. day 2 before breakfast 7am greylag 12 ,raven 2, robin 8, teal 15 pair, tufty 2, brent 4, siskin 3, wren 2, sparrow 15, pied wag 1, hoody 2, buzzard 6, shelduck 4, redshank 1, oystercatcher 31, curlew 1, fulmar 3, gannett 3, shag1, on way home 1o gannetts, 3 tern, 1 auk 2 shag, 3 commorant. not bad for a couple days and that doesnt include trip to rspb centre to see razorbills,puffins and gulls.

osprey today from castle espie bird hide from 1/1.30pm dont have all the details i arrived at 2pm at islandhill and missed it just if any one is around the area keep a look out for it

great birding today in south down
4 close red kites
4 buzzards
2 distant goshawks displaying
1 kestrel
swallows
chiffchaffs
stonechat
med pips
lots of brent geese moving along the coast

only bad thing got a little sun burn on my head but well worth the pain now.
cheers john

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back