• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (3 Viewers)

great day on rathlin today weather was great got sunburnt but the 2 choughs flying and calling over our heads made up for it.

Great job sounds a good day, although very yellow with jealousy you seen the choughs!

They were in hiding when I last went.:-C

Hi all

I will be visiting Belfast for a couple of days on Buisness but will have some time for birding can you please give me some idea of places to visit around the Antrim area

cheersB :)

Great job sounds a good day, although very yellow with jealousy you seen the choughs!

They were in hiding when I last went.:-C

yeah the choughs were great had them calling over my head and sitting on the ground for a good half hour well worth the drive up there even with the lamas fair on.

osprey still at oxford island on 2nd Oct. Anybody know how long it's likely to hang around for? It didn't seem in any hurry to head south. What's the latest NI date and/or have any ever overwintered?

could anyone give some directions to the ploughed field the buff breasted sand is in around kirkiston please would be very grateful thanks john

could anyone give some directions to the ploughed field the buff breasted sand is in around kirkiston please would be very grateful thanks john

Haven't been down myelf yet, but the Kirkistown fields are on the S side of Bog Road, which is the long straight road along the S side of the Kirkistown race track, immediately W of Portavogie. There are several large fields, which are being ploughed, and the flocks of golden plover move around in the area (Cloughey beach could be worth a check at low tide).

Take care parked on Bog Road - not that much traffic, but what there is can move fast. There is one large pull in area at the E (Portavogie) end of the road, which is a good place from which to view the eastern part of the fields.

Best of luck!

Keith

Baldrick's Cunning Plan

I thought of a cunning plan to get some close up photos of garden birds this winter. I have just made a feeding post 15 feet from my conservatory window. With a remote release I think I may be able to get a few decent pics.

Desparate times call for desparate measures, I really do need some decent photos for the NIOC competition. Have not struck it lucky this year!

Richard

Fox in the Garden

I looked out this morning at the birds feeding in the snow and nearly dropped my camera. A fox hunting round the garden!

See my blog for photos.

Richard

Name that bird

How good are your bird identifying skills from limited info and a blurred photo.
I took the picture below at Kinnego marina earlier this week. When I got home I notice the bird in the top R corner.

01.jpg

In pic 2 although the mystery bird from where I was standing was almost twice as far away as the other bird there is not a big size difference in the photo so up close I would expect it to be at least half as big again ??.

02.jpg

Best I can do of the bird its self.

03.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back