• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern or Southern Cricket Frog? (1 Viewer)

Accipiter91

I captured this very small frog today while walking through the swamp behind my house. North Carolina is home to the Northern Cricket Frog and the Southern Cricket Frog and both could be found in the area where I live (I think so anyway) Does anyone know how to tell the two species apart in areas where they both occur? Is the frog in the picture a Northern or Southern Cricket Frog? Thanks!

Attachments

• CF.JPG
    CF.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 96
Judging from your pic, I'd venture a guess as a Southern Cricket frog.

My book says the following: It has a dark triangle between its eyes, a pointed head and long hind legs.
The picture shows it as brownish.

The Northern frog is depicted as greenish and the book says: Has a dark triangle between it's eyes, a blunter head and shorter hind legs than the Southern Cricket frog.

I don't know if you heard it's voice, but the Southern sounds like a metal clicker, whilest the Northern voice sounds like two pebbles being clicked together slowly at first and picking up speed as it goes.

At least, that is according to the Peterson First Guides to Reptiles and Amphibians.

You're quite welcome. Since seeing a toad in my yard this year, I've become curious about them and ended up buying a few books on the topic.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back