• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northfork series (1 Viewer)

This series seems to have recieved little attention. I had a quick look at a 8.5x45 version at my local gun store and my brief impresision was favourable. The optcal and build qualities appeared high. The image was contrasty with excellent resolution. The FOV is relatively narrow at 6.6 degrees with a Afov of 56.1. The image is very usable however with minor field curvature at the periphery. [I have some 3 year old Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x45 6.0 degree roofs which has noticably more field curvature - hence looking at the Nothforks to replace them]. The 10.5x45 which I did not view has a larger Afov of 65.1 degrees with a 6.2 degree FOV. I like the 45mm size roofs and they give a noticably brighter image then the 42 mms. They both weigh 765 grms./ 27oz. The Northforks are Japanese sourced and just below the heavier Golden Ring HD series.
I guess also what I am asking is - has anyone had any long term field experience with either of them ? would be interested in your comments / feedback.

Chris from New Zealand

Last edited:
Chris,

I almost purchased the 10.5x45 Northforks yet I noticed the focus wheel seemed very poor. It wasnt smooth at all. I was impressed by the image of this binocular yet became concerned with this one feature and it turned me away. I have spoken to others who have said the same thing.

Thanks - I had not noticed that myself as I was too pre-occupied with checking the optical qualities. I will pay more attention to the focuser next time.

Chris

Figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread since this one is still on the front page after 6 months.

I've been trying to find some information on the 10.5x45 version of these binoculars but haven't had much luck. You'd think SOMEONE would have bought some by now and done a real review. I hope I am just having trouble finding one and something has been said about the quality of these binoculars.

There aren't any shops close by that carry any selection worth noting, and the Bass Pro Shop I went to yesterday doesn't carry this model so I'm not able to test them out myself without dropping $520 on a set.

I'm trying to decide between the 10x43 Zen-Ray ED2s and these, but without knowing much more than what Leupold tells me, it's not too easy. I like the combined-with-focus/locking diopter adjustment on the Leupolds and their styling better, so if the image and quality are at least as good as the Zen-Rays I'd probably spring for them.

I have not had enough experience with the Northfork series to do a proper sort of review. However I have been around them enough to know that it meets all my initial requirements of "it's is sure good enough to try out seriously". I also think that it good enough that it would pass the test of time, but that is only a guess.

Optically is is little different from the Gold Ring series. It is a lighter binocular and it has a somewhat unique hinge design. As can be seen from looking at photos or marketing images of it, it looks like a double hinge design where somebody forgot the front hinge. This is what makes me wonder about durability. On the other side of that is Leupold is known for making pretty tough optics. Their customer service and warranty reputation is to second to nobody.

One Leupold engineer I managed to talk to made a comment along the lines that there was a very specific "memory" built into the design and it would take some flexing from hard knocks and tend to give with the blow and then spring back into shape. I think that was the gist of the conversation, but he was the engineer, not me and I would have been technically pressed to understand much more than that.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Against my better reasoning I went ahead and ordered a pair off Amazon a few minutes ago. I should have them Thursday if the 1 day shipping works out. Could've gotten them tomorrow, but had a long day at work. For the better I guess since that overtime will get them paid off sooner. ;)

I'll try and post a first impressions sort of thing later on in the week, but I'm probably not the best person for this since I'm coming from a $100 pair of Nikon Actions haha.

"Poor Man's Swarovski SLC HD"?

Thanks for the reply Steve. Against my better reasoning I went ahead and ordered a pair off Amazon a few minutes ago. I should have them Thursday if the 1 day shipping works out. Could've gotten them tomorrow, but had a long day at work. For the better I guess since that overtime will get them paid off sooner. ;)

I'll try and post a first impressions sort of thing later on in the week, but I'm probably not the best person for this since I'm coming from a $100 pair of Nikon Actions haha.

I look forward to reading your review since you might be the only one on the planet who owns one, I looked for reviews, but nada. The specs are similar to the monarch x, a bit wider FOV (6.6* vs 6.3*), both have dielectric coatings, but the ergonomics and dimensions on the Northfork are similar to the new swarovski-slc-8x42-hd:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swarovski/swarovski-slc-8x42-hd-binocular?tab=specifications#tabs

B.

I did receive the 10.5x45 Northforks on Thursday. The first thing that struck me was the cheesy neoprene pouch they came in. I guess I expected something more substantial to house a $500 item, but whatever, they probably won't be in there much.

The second issue is the rubber faux leather covering. The stuff on the left barrel is quite loose like it has come unglued or stretched. I'll probably have a chat with Leupold about this and see what they say. It doesn't affect anything important, but it's definitely not how they should be out of the box.

Aside from the less than perfect first impressions, the optics seem to be just fine. Today was the first chance I've gotten to really try them out. They are clearer and sharper than the Nikon Actions I'm comparing them to and seem to have better contrast.

Colors seem closer to actual - the sky is a little washed out looking through the Nikons, but the Northforks are true to life. The image is very sharp and I was able to see individual feathers on a very small Golden-crowned Kinglet that was happily foraging in a pine tree. Last night I was able to get some good looks at Jupiter and 4 moons.

There is some slight CA when looking at bright objects like our Moon and Jupiter and the ocasional branch against the sky, but it isn't bothersome.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the focus knob isn't perfect. It's a bit stiff. It has gotten better since first turning it, but it's nothing like the buttery smooth Swarovski pair I tried out last weekend.

I know after writing all that it looks like they could be a lot better, but really the only issue that detracts from viewing is the focus wheel. Optically I can find no real faults. They are much better than my Nikon Actions and I'm sure they can compete with the big boys. I'd love to compare them side by side to some top dollar binoculars and see where that extra 1500 bucks is spent besides focus knobs and finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back